Geeky little details

vandyswa

Make sure the audio input is monophonic.  Currently the internal microphone and the external are routed to two inputs which are presented as stereo.  This throws off all sorts of Linux audio software.  It should look (all the way down at the driver) like a mono device.  Routed to the internal microphone except when a proper four-conductor headphone/mic device is plugged in.

A decent WiFi solution.  Yes, the chip sucks.  Antenna routing versus shielding foil is apparently another source of hassle.  And finally a shared BlueTooth/WiFi solution is causing problems for concurrent use.  I'd hope to get a high performance WiFi antenna, perhaps run up across the top of the display.  And then BlueTooth with its own antenna, cross polarized, down on the front of the keyboard.

Bulletproof signal routing to the display.

If the full size USB connector is fundamentally incapable of supporting a lifetime of insertions, maybe move to a mini connector instead?

Andy

For me, the full size usb is required. As for everything else you said, ageed.

On the subject of the wifi antenna, I'm not sure if it'll fit above the display, that area may be too skinny for an inverted F antenna. (I'm assuming the pandora uses this antenna, they are used on pretty much everything)

Full size USB is an absolute must.

consider that while microUSB stands up better against repeated insertions and unpluggings, they are easily damaged by a sharp tug in the wrong place.

I don't want to carry a nest of adaptors with me everywhere!

Don't include wifi/bluetooth in the unit itself. just have three ful sized USB to attach micro sized modules ;)

If the full size USB connector is fundamentally incapable of supporting a lifetime of insertions, maybe move to a mini connector instead?
Has anyone here experienced a USB failure purely from mating the connectors too frequently? (not a double entendre)

Last edited by a moderator:
My USB port is on the way out. I useto use the port 2 - 4 times a day not realizing I was shortening it's lifespan. Now I have to use an elastic band to secure whatever's plugged in, otherwise the connection breaks.

^ is that any different to any other USB port?

Could tougher (full size) ones be used in the P2?

Another audio detail... make sure the analog level control provides *balanced* audio levels over its entire range.

I'd also vote for a hardware mixer, and it'd be a great bonus if the mixer provided equalization.

Andy

Another audio detail.  Make sure that the headphone/speaker cutover is accessible at the software level.  It is

very desirable to have alarms come out of the speakers even if there's earbuds plugged into the jack.

On the subject of the wifi antenna, I'm not sure if it'll fit above the display, that area may be too skinny for an inverted F antenna. (I'm assuming the pandora uses this antenna, they are used on pretty much everything)
From memory, the wifi antenna cable runs from the underside of the board about where the DEL key is up to the case edge, towards the hinge, through the hinge (inside the spiralled LCD cable) into the lid section then around the left hand edge of that to the top where there's the little PCB with the silver tape.

From a brief read up on PIFAs I'm pretty sure that shares none of the characteristics, so I reckon it's pretty safe to say we don't have one of those. I don't think it's the little PCB as that's smaller than a quarter wavelength of 2.4Ghz, although what it does do I don't know.

Back