Gba Can Do N64 Games!! Why Not The Gp2x?

nubie posted on Jul 12 2006 at 01:18 PM said:
I found this on GP32Spain and I had to share (why can't I LOL this right off the bat?).

http://babelfish.altavista.com/babelfish/t...h%3dgba%2520n64

When I saw the topic title, I thought you really meant N64 emulation on the GBA, but after that, I saw it was a joke. Quite funny. Now, as far as I know, if you're seriously talking N64 emulation on the GP2X, no. DaveC told me that the 3D chip it has is very advanced, so you can't emulate it. I doubt if the GBA can do N64, too...

Last edited by a moderator:
Neo Child posted on Jul 12 2006 at 02:28 PM said:
Serious question though, whats up with GBA emulation on GP2X? It can handle the PS1 moderately, so it should be able to handle the GBA resonabely too.

You've got a point there. I doubt that anything hanheld (save stuff like the PSP, DS, etc.) could measure up to the PS1. I think it's because the GBA may have a better 3d chip or something, but I doubt that the hardware/software, in general, could be anywhere as potent as that of the PS1's!

Kyalami posted on Jul 12 2006 at 12:24 PM said:
nubie posted on Jul 12 2006 at 01:18 PM said:
I found this on GP32Spain and I had to share (why can't I LOL this right off the bat?).

http://babelfish.altavista.com/babelfish/t...h%3dgba%2520n64

When I saw the topic title, I thought you really meant N64 emulation on the GBA, but after that, I saw it was a joke. Quite funny. Now, as far as I know, if you're seriously talking N64 emulation on the GP2X, no. DaveC told me that the 3D chip it has is very advanced, so you can't emulate it. I doubt if the GBA can do N64, too...
OMG, do you know who I am? It is a joke, and you don't recall me telling you no to n64 yesterday? I am well aware that there is no n64 on the GP2X.

I would like to see the DS ARM version of Mario64 ported over sometime (I can dream, I want my Mario64), although it might do just as well to make an offline recompiler to run that or an n64 version, probably not even worth it, every single game would need months of work to port.

I hope the GP3X will get a nice 3D core or a fst FPU or something :), then this might be a possibility

Neo Child posted on Jul 12 2006 at 01:28 PM said:
Serious question though, whats up with GBA emulation on GP2X? It can handle the PS1 moderately, so it should be able to handle the GBA resonabely too.

Riiight. Suuure. I think that nobody is putting insane resources into a GBA emu because there is no point, buy one for $20 and leave it at that.

Also I think Zodttd started with a PDA/Pocket PC emu for the PS1, if you want a GBA emu you should start with a handheld source and optimize. The PS1 Emu has been optimized with 100s of man-hours of tweaking and hard genius type work, throw that at a GBA emu and of course it will show results.

But we are talking about portable PS1 vs. Portable GBA, which is a valid thing to spend all that energy to do?

Kyalami posted on Jul 12 2006 at 04:45 PM said:
I doubt that anything hanheld (save stuff like the PSP, DS, etc.) could measure up to the PS1. I think it's because the GBA may have a better 3d chip or something, but I doubt that the hardware/software, in general, could be anywhere as potent as that of the PS1's!

Both the PSP and the DS are much, much, MUCH more technologically (and graphically and everythingelse-ly) advanced than the PSX.

And the GBA doesn't have a 3d chip. This may be apparent to some people since the GBA was not known for its great 3d games...

Kyalami posted on Jul 12 2006 at 10:45 PM said:
You've got a point there. I doubt that anything hanheld (save stuff like the PSP, DS, etc.) could measure up to the PS1. I think it's because the GBA may have a better 3d chip or something, but I doubt that the hardware/software, in general, could be anywhere as potent as that of the PS1's!

As far as I know, the GBA was never meant to be a 3D system, which is why I'm 99.9% sure there is no 3D acceleration in it. Fuck it, I'm 100% sure there isn't. I'm 65% sure the PSone doesn't really have a 3D accellerator either, though.

Is that a joke that does not translate into English ? Do they use the same word for 'run a program' and ' move' in Spain ? If not, I don't get it either.

Magnulus posted on Jul 12 2006 at 10:31 PM said:
Kyalami posted on Jul 12 2006 at 10:45 PM said:

As far as I know, the GBA was never meant to be a 3D system, which is why I'm 99.9% sure there is no 3D acceleration in it. Fuck it, I'm 100% sure there isn't. I'm 65% sure the PSone doesn't really have a 3D accellerator either, though.

GBA no 3d HW
PS1 has 3D HW + fixed point matrix mul vector HW.

I beleave the DS has the vector and multimiedia extensions to the arm9, which is why its 3d is so nice, but no dedicated 3D HW. (but please correct me on this bit)

N64 had as well as 3d HW a primitive kind of vertex shader HW. I've played both versions of Mario64, and the DS is more than just a port. I would not have been suprised if it was recoded from the ground up.

Neo Child posted on Jul 12 2006 at 10:28 PM said:

Someone is working on it

w00t! Advertising! :)
Don't over do it though, it'll be a few weeks before I can make a release.

For those of you that don't get the joke, in english we say "the GBA can emulate the N64" while in spanish it's "the GBA can move the N64".

MadDog posted on Jul 12 2006 at 05:46 PM said:
PS1 has 3D HW + fixed point matrix mul vector HW.

Believe it or not, the PS1 only has a 2D gpu. The gpu itself works kinda like a 3d one, in that you feed vertices to it and then it draws triangles based on the vertices, but the coordinate data for the vertices is 2D only. The 3D games on PS1 accomplish 3D via software keeping track of 3D vertices, and then translating the vertices to 2D so the gpu can understand it. If you've ever payed a LOT of attention to 3d games on the ps1, you'll notice that textures on walls will get jagged/distorted when you look at the wall sideways, but it looks fine when you look at the wall straight on. That's because the ps1 can't do perspective correction (missing Z coordinate), and thus, all textures on the ps1 are drawn isometric.

Another way to tell this is the fact that triangles can't intersect each other. In 3d, sometimes you get a triangle that's halfway in front of another one, and halfway behind it (so the triangle is actually going through the surface other one). On the ps1, this situation is impossible because the ps1 doesn't keep track of Z, so a triangle can be only either completely in front, or completely behind another triangle at any given time. If you play devil dice, and move the character so its body is going through a dice, you notice that as it stands there breathing, entire triangles will flash on and off as they go through the dice. So I'm assuming it's the software's responsibility to do its own Z ordering and send the vertices in the correct order.

So yeah, 3d games, but 2d console. Isn't that weird? :) I don't know about the fixed point matrix multiplication vector thing, but I definately know about the 2d.

This might be why it's easier to do ps1 emulation, because the graphics emulation only needs to be 2d.

Sorry if I got off track there, I found the topic interesting and researched it before, and I felt like explaining it. :)

About the video, I'm not sure what it's supposed to mean, but it's definately not what I was expecting. :D

wow, after hearing about GBA in this topic again i was thinknig to myself..nah..wont ever happen, if it does it'll be years and even then require more power than zodtt and his team have thrown at the PSX emulator.

and then i come back with some ham sandwiches, scroll down a bit and someones actually working on it O_O

good luck to ya.

Drag: So they're using the Painter's algorythm on the PSX?? HAHA! This explains so many things! I always thought the PSX hardware looked kinda week despite the graphics, this totally clears that up. :)

I'm imagining that's what they use, but I haven't actually gone in depth into any games. I'm just going on what I found out, and what I've observed. Painter's algorithm is what made the most sense to me, but there are probably other methods in some games. :p

Edit: After doing further research, the ps1 has a seperate cpu which handles 3D transformations, called the Geometry Transformation Engine. This cpu is capable of doing 3D math and all that good stuff, but can also be used to project the 3D vertices onto 2D, giving you 2D coordinates which the software can feed to the GPU. So there *IS* 3D math hardware in the ps1, but the GPU still remains 2D only and unable to do any Z-axis-based effects (like Z-ordering and perspective correction for textures).

Back