Gamester Gba Plugs

Titcher

I managed to find an old GBA plug by the manufacturer gamester, it has the same diagram as the GP32 - o +. But I just want to make sure it won't blow my GP32, the text on the plug reads; MODEL: RC9880A
INPUT: 230V~50Hz 4.9W
OUTPUT: 3V ----- 300mA 0.9VA

I took some pictures aswell in case they helped.

plug.jpg
gp32.jpg

I appreciate any help.

from what I understand, unless it says 3V on it, it won't work. Everything in the GP32 runs on 3 volts.

Eh, the hole inna GP32 says 3volts... I deffinately would not try 4v... :blink:

Edit: Oh, the output was 3volts. Silly me. Can't really say... Does not the manual tell anything?

Sure it will physically fit? :)

Hi ya

I just checked with my techie mate and he said your GP32 will blow the PSU
your GP32 will be OK but your PSU will die a horrible death

as per formula

V= IR where V= vaults I = Amps R = resistance

you can work out the R from the Black label on the back
V= 2V I =500mA or I = .5A
therefore R=4

so if you the bottom says 3V is OK then GP32 will draw 750mA at 3v or 500mA at 2V both of which will blow your PSU which can only provide 300mA

(can someone check my logic and Maths pls)

the Amps provided by the PSU must be higher than the required by the GP32
but Volts must not exceed what the GP32 can use between 3V and 2V

Hope that helps
Tarka

PS your PSU (power supply unit) may be OK but will get V Hot!!!
EDIT: also as it gets hot it may fluctuate - which Could kill your GP32
so do NOT do it unless PSU says 3V at 750mA or 2V at 500mA :(

Ah damn thing, I suppose I'll give it back to the guy, what a shame though. So is there little chance I could ever use a GBA plug? Because the guy has another one I could have a look at he might not mind. Oh also, if I was to use this PSU, how long would it take to blow?

I think the picture on the left is way to blurry to make out if it + or - that's in the center (and vice versa), but aren't all GB-adapters with plus in the centre? If you didn't allready know, Gameparks need minus to be in the centre.

I've myself have a gameboy-adaptor, where the cord has been cut up to reverse the polarity, and that one does work. Mine does however NOT say 4v, allthough the voltage messured from it was was somewhat higher that 3.

It seems the polarity of the adaptor is wrong, but other than that it should work fine. I don't know where Tarka got his crazy "750mA at 3v" from, as the GP32 will not draw more than 300ma unless you do some crazy overclocking with the backlight enabled (and it'll still be no where near 750ma...)

Both have the minus on same side, but the plug has a sort of - (o +, the GP32 seems the other way.

trooper posted on May 18 2005 at 08:40 PM said:
Quiest posted on May 18 2005 at 07:09 PM said:
And keep in mind, you will fry your gp32 when the polarity is wrong!

Yes, He most definitely will, I can prove it. :p

Trooper

Sooo, what the bodycount, so far? :(

Last edited by a moderator:
Titcher posted on May 18 2005 at 08:03 PM said:
Both have the minus on same side, but the plug has a sort of - (o +, the GP32 seems the other way.

Yes it is.

The "(" = the external terminal.
The "o" = the internal terminal.

So in your quote above, The centre is positive and the external is negative which is the wrong way round for the GP32.

It needs to be +(o- .

Trooper

Jarska333 posted on May 18 2005 at 08:11 PM said:
trooper posted on May 18 2005 at 08:40 PM said:
Quiest posted on May 18 2005 at 07:09 PM said:
And keep in mind, you will fry your gp32 when the polarity is wrong!

Yes, He most definitely will, I can prove it. :p

Trooper

Sooo, what the bodycount, so far? :(

Only one so far, No more hopefully. :rolleyes:

Trooper

So, if I just cut and swap these wires round, it will work correctly?

Titcher posted on May 18 2005 at 08:20 PM said:
So, if I just cut and swap these wires round, it will work correctly?

Yes, As long as the voltage is not too much above 3 volts.

Trooper

The plug says exactly 3 volts, I'll also plug it into my surge protector, not much chance of it harming it then is there?

Edit: I tried it, I did a horrible hack and slash job, then afterwards I realised the plug had screws on....But, it works fine as far as I know, and just to clarify, 300mA should be enough to power 156Mhz with backlight?

Ok.

The adaptor is 3 volt = Good.
You`ve swapped the wires around so that the centre connector is negative and the external connector is positive = Good.

I`d say go for it. :)

Trooper

It seems to be going strong, I can now go one increment in speed over before aswell (160Mhz now). Which, is slightly useful.

Edit: Forgot to say thank you.

Magus 86 posted on May 18 2005 at 11:13 AM said:
from what I understand, unless it says 3V on it, it won't work. Everything in the GP32 runs on 3 volts.

YOU ARE WRONG SIR, my rechargeables are 1.25v so i'm technically running 2.5v not 3v and I can run everything at 166mhz for hours.

I searched all over Wal-mart for 1.5v rechargables but all i could find was 1.25v, i took the chance and they seem to work just fine.

I don't know if 1.5v rechargables exist as I've never seen them anywhere. I've only ever seen 1.2v and 1.25v. The Gp32 does say "2.4v - 3v" though, and has a nice transformer inside to pump up the voltage, if needed :)

Back