Release Game Soundtracks

_wb_

Microbe
Staff member
A very simple application that lets you listen to the soundtracks of your games. Basically it's just a bit of shell script magic; all it does is mount the game and then call Audacious so it opens the right folder.

http://repo.openpandora.org/?page=detail&app=game_soundtrack.wb

screenshot.png

Nice :)

Any chance this could be improved so that each supported games had a checkbox in the list and you could select multiple soundtracks to play?

Sure, that should be possible. I don't know how many PNDs can get mounted simultanously, but other than that it should be no problem.

Also, just let me know if you want me to add a game to the list. It just needs to have music somewhere in a format that can be played. Some games use weird music formats or hide it in weird archives, so then I don't know how to add them, but many just use standard formats and then it's easy to add them.

How about supertux?

That's a bunch of WAVs in /path/to/supertux/music/*.wav

Some of the visual novels ED ported have very nice music too...

Last edited by a moderator:
I love the idea and the little app. It's small, it just works and only uses stuff which is already there ... it's genius! ^_^

Since I have audacious and DeaDBeef installed, it would be nice if I could select which one to use (preferably some setting that is remembered, not a popup asking each time).

Games that came immediately to my mind which are not yet supported:

Gweled

wizznic

No idea if the music is available in a usable format though.

i love this idea its a great concept. I did have one thought though that would perhaps make this even cooler, it would be awesome if you could somehow use this program in conjunction with Audiorace to generate levels. But perhaps this idea is far-fetched as the game only supports certain formats.

I could try to add AudioRace as a "player" - no idea which formats it supports but I assume it will work for at least some formats. Many games just use mp3 or ogg.

I'll also add some mechanism to choose your music player. I made audacious the default because it can play most stuff - DeaDBeeF had some problems to play music files with no or weird filename extensions.

Audiorace supports mp3 and ogg, and it takes a command line argument, but only one file, not multiple. Maybe I could add a little wrapper around it to filter only the supported formats and to let you pick a track. Or maybe the author of Audiorace could add support for multiple arguments and arguments that point to folders, not files? It already has a built-in file selection menu, so it would make sense there would be a way to point it to the right folder.

you should probably discuss this with crow_riot to see if something is possible

New version on the repo!

You can now select more than one game at the same time. I set a limit of 10 simultaneously loaded games though, to avoid running out of loopback mount devices (there are 15 available, but you need one for this PND, one for the music player PND, and I prefer to keep a few spare ones so you can still mount some more PNDs).

You can also select the music player: you can choose between Audacious, DeaDBeef and Audiorace. Audiorace only works for some games at the moment, and it will only load the first song of a game. Maybe crow_riot will release an update to Audiorace at some point to change this.

Three more games were included: Gweled, SuperTux, and Wizznic.

I tried those visual novels by ED but they put all their data (including the music) in some weird archive file called "arc.nsa" and I have no idea how to open it. I didn't buy Super Hexagon, so I don't know where its music is. If someone can give me the path to the music and the filename of the .desktop file for it in /usr/share/applications, then I'll add it.

/>
I tried those visual novels by ED but they put all their data (including the music) in some weird archive file called "arc.nsa" and I have no idea how to open it.
These are Onscripter archives... there's a tool to extract them. I'll look for the sourcecode of that.

Nice idea, BTW :)

Has a typo in the PND Title though (Sountracks) :)

/> I tried those visual novels by ED but they put all their data (including the music) in some weird archive file called "arc.nsa" and I have no idea how to open it.
These are Onscripter archives... there's a tool to extract them. I'll look for the sourcecode of that.

Nice idea, BTW :)

Has a typo in the PND Title though (Sountracks) :)
Ah, yes, if you could point me to the extract program for those archives, then I can just include that and use it to extract the music to /tmp or something like that.

There's a similar problem with iprice's games by the way: he also has his data in some kind of archive I don't know.

I'll fix the PND title typo in the next update, but I'm not going to upload an update just for that ;)

I'm still taking requests for games to add in the next update, just put their names in this thread and I'll see what can be done.

_wb_: if you wanted to add KAMI RETRO, the music resides in audio/music and is in .ogg format. The PND is made as an ISO (not squash FS). If you don't have a copy of KAMI RETRO I am happy to gift you a copy.

Yes, KAMI RETRO is already supported, it's one of the few games I bought :)

For other paid games: I'm not planning to buy them just to add them to the list, so if you want them added, there are two options:

1) gift me the game ;) and I'll figure everything out myself (but this will only work if the music is reasonably easy to find)

2) tell me the exact location in /mnt/pnd/ where the music can be found, and also tell me the name of the .desktop file in /usr/share/applications

Back