Game Maker: Studio - Linux export module

A

AtomicLugia

Since the Pandora is a Linux console, is it possible to play Linux games, made by Game Maker: Studio? Sorry for the stupid question.

.Game Maker Studio only exports for Ubuntu x86 (Pandora has an ARM CPU) unfortunately, so no, not with the Linux export module. HTML5 exported games, if not too demanding, may work though.

However Gamemaker does compile for Android, maybe it would be possible to get apkenv working with Gamemaker games?

I checked the Super Crate Box build for Ouya and it seems to be a native (NDK) app with libopenal.so and libyoyo.so which must be the core library.

I just don't know enough about apkenv to know if it's possible to support something like that.

However Gamemaker does compile for Android, maybe it would be possible to get apkenv working with Gamemaker games?

I checked the Super Crate Box build for Ouya and it seems to be a native (NDK) app with libopenal.so and libyoyo.so which must be the core library.

I just don't know enough about apkenv to know if it's possible to support something like that.
It exist ENIGMA for that. I have a build of it, that seems to work, and some guideline in the Dev. section on how to install it using codeblocks pnd (look here). I never found a game to compile successfully when I tested it, maybe that change now.

Last edited by a moderator:
But is it possible to play games made with Game Maker 8.0/8.1? Just the games (.exe), not the game maker programm itself. Maybe Wine, Qemu or Exagear?

I remember trying to run spelunky via Exagear+WINE 1.6, with no luck. Couldn't get past the splash screen. I remember it complained about not having the latest DirectX 9 libraries, and I get easily annoyed by games which require powerful libs to display simple pixel graphics, so I quit.

EDIT: screenshot.

exagear_spelunky.png

I used winetricks to "install" directx and could get a simple 2D game maker game to start, but it was unplayable. I don't know if it was because the game wasn't optimized or if it's what could be expected of all game maker games.

I used winetricks to "install" directx and could get a simple 2D game maker game to start, but it was unplayable. I don't know if it was because the game wasn't optimized or if it's what could be expected of all game maker games.
My bet is that game maker framework itself uses some wild D3D calls which will put pandora to knees unless some kind of OpenGL support is hacked into Exagear. Which, by the way, may never happen.

So I'd say there's no support now and chances to get those games running in the future are slim.

Game Maker uses Direct3D for everything since version 6, so yeah. Versions up to 5 used DirectDraw to render, but these are ancient by now and the amount of interesting games with these versions should be pretty low.

Game Maker uses Direct3D for everything since version 6, so yeah. Versions up to 5 used DirectDraw to render, but these are ancient by now and the amount of interesting games with these versions should be pretty low.
Do you by chance know what the Linux export module uses? If there is a possibility to use SDL, we're saved*, since Exagear has no issues with SDL, and avoiding WINE altogether would be another performance boost.

EDIT: according to the wiki the answer is no.

* if the game was released for Linux, or at a price of $49.99 for open-source projects like spelunky

Is there any chance if we compile a Game Maker game for Ubuntu X86 then try to run it on Pandora?

will put pandora to knees unless some kind of OpenGL support is hacked into Exagear. Which, by the way, may never happen.So I'd say there's no support now and chances to get those games running in the future are slim.
I've posted videos of OpenGL acceleration running through QEMU and ExaGear.

EDIT: Nevermind. Nowhere near on topic.

@lunixbochs: will our Pandoras ever see your build of ExaGear, or are you saving the OpenGL experience for the Pyra? :)

Back