Game Maker Program

1magus

I used to be into Game Maker by YoYo but lost intrest when I found out programs can only run in Windows due to it's closed source nature. So I have been searching for an open source replacement I might of found one. Construct is open source and it looks quite promising Construct Home Page . It is open source underl the GPL. Do you think it would be possible to port to Linux and Pandora? It claims it runs on Windows under DirectX 9 so might be difficult. Or does has somebody else talked about other game maker projects for Pandora?

You might want to look into Stencyl. It's still in Beta mode, but it runs right out of your browser with what appears to be only JavaScript needed, which I think the Pandora supports.

There is also a Game Making program someone brought up some time back that could be used to create games for the GP2X. I don't know if they plan to support the Pandora or not, but it'd be cool if they did.

Construct is a free, DirectX 9 game creator for Windows, designed for 2D games.

It's open source, but uses DirectX, which is Microsoft's proprietary library (as you stated). It would have to be ported to SDL/OpenGL ES, which could be a very big task depending on how DirectX is exactly used.

Another alternative, although still a bit WIP, is Gluon. Though it states OpenGL as a prerequisite, it might at least be easier to port. If it uses Qt for blitting, it should already be OpenGL ES compatible.

I'd like to see a good game creator as much as anyone :) . It would be great for at least simpler games and prototyping.

EDIT: On a quick look to the source, Gluon looks promising. The OGL code didn't seem to have any non-OGLES 2.0 compatible bits and the shaders are made for QGL, which means they are using Qt's OpenGL framework. Could somebody try to compile/test this on a pandora?

Classic Team said:
You might want to look into Stencyl. It's still in Beta mode, but it runs right out of your browser with what appears to be only JavaScript needed, which I think the Pandora supports.

Nope, Java is required, not just a JavaScript-supporting browser.

Last edited by a moderator:
B-ZaR said:
Construct is a free, DirectX 9 game creator for Windows, designed for 2D games.

It's open source, but uses DirectX, which is Microsoft's proprietary library (as you stated). It would have to be ported to SDL/OpenGL ES, which could be a very big task depending on how DirectX is exactly used.

Another alternative, although still a bit WIP, is Gluon. Though it states OpenGL as a prerequisite, it might at least be easier to port. If it uses Qt for blitting, it should already be OpenGL ES compatible.

I'd like to see a good game creator as much as anyone :) . It would be great for at least simpler games and prototyping.

EDIT: On a quick look to the source, Gluon looks promising. The OGL code didn't seem to have any non-OGLES 2.0 compatible bits and the shaders are made for QGL, which means they are using Qt's OpenGL framework. Could somebody try to compile/test this on a pandora?
From the screenshots it appears Gluon has self shadowing hehe. And Stencyl looks promising too YAY!

B-ZaR said:
Classic Team said:

Can Java not run on Pandora? Will Java + Flash ever run on it?

Does Fenix have a Pandora port? I know it was popular on the GP2X, that might be a suitable "Game Maker" app (though I haven't tried it myself).
@TylerAW Pandora can run Java with the correct libraries installed, but I don't know if it can run it inside a browser (some guy was asking about programming games for the Pandora in Java in another topic).

TylerAW said:
B-ZaR said:
Classic Team said:

Sure it can. At least the free JVMs if not Sun's. It all depends on how well the JVMs available work with Stencyl, I haven't tried. My "nope" was aimed at JavaScript being the only requirement.

It seems that Fenix can even run on Dreamcast, but I can't find a proper English site for it and Wikipedia claims the recent releases are buggy. It also seems it is more of a programming language rather than a Game Maker, as in coders only. The purpose of Game Makers at least to this thread is everyone can make a game not just coders.

TylerAW said:
It seems that Fenix can even run on Dreamcast, but I can't find a proper English site for it and Wikipedia claims the recent releases are buggy. It also seems it is more of a programming language rather than a Game Maker, as in coders only. The purpose of Game Makers at least to this thread is everyone can make a game not just coders.
It's a scripting language, Game Maker also has a scripting language, which is pretty much required if you want to make anything but the most basic of games. I'd advise for people to learn how to code instead of just using Drag & Drop, it takes some work but the results will be much better. Apps like RPG Maker aren't too bad though, since the engine is already made for you, you can actually make pretty advanced games, but they don't have a whole lot of flexibility.
Unless someone else has a better idea, Stencyl is probably your best shot for zero code game making (though I don't know how fast the games will run on the Pandora, it's Java after all)

Fenix is not suported in Pandora but Bennu GD (Fenix upgrade) is.
http://www.bennugd.org/

TylerAW said:
Java is already working on the Pandora. See here. (babel fish translation)
For Flash we have Gnash

Ah, I remember Game Maker ^.^

Jdbye said:
Does Fenix have a Pandora port? I know it was popular on the GP2X, that might be a suitable "Game Maker" app (though I haven't tried it myself).
@TylerAW Pandora can run Java with the correct libraries installed, but I don't know if it can run it inside a browser (some guy was asking about programming games for the Pandora in Java in another topic).

Yay I'm some guy haha.

If I'm honest, game making programs are good and all that for starting off but you should definitely try to stray away from drag and drop etc and actually starting learning to code properly. It's a lot more useful and opens up loads more possibilities (even if you are coding in the Game Maker Language and not a 'proper' language).

Jdbye said:
TylerAW said:
It's a scripting language, Game Maker also has a scripting language, which is pretty much required if you want to make anything but the most basic of games. I'd advise for people to learn how to code instead of just using Drag & Drop, it takes some work but the results will be much better. Apps like RPG Maker aren't too bad though, since the engine is already made for you, you can actually make pretty advanced games, but they don't have a whole lot of flexibility.
Unless someone else has a better idea, Stencyl is probably your best shot for zero code game making (though I don't know how fast the games will run on the Pandora, it's Java after all)
I was able to go pretty far in Game Maker without scripting I made a simple Kingdom Hearts GBA clone :)

chrysipp said:
TylerAW said:
Java is already working on the Pandora. See here. (babel fish translation)
For Flash we have Gnash
Will Gnash let us load Youtube and Flash movie from the web?

As someone with absolutely no skill with code beyond old HTML I prefer a "maker" program because at the very least even if it generates code, it's atleast possible to get working code quickly that you can learn to edit later. When you look at the games possible in something like Little Big Planet on PS3 which requires almost no coding at all aside from flipping a bunch of toggles and property settings it makes you wonder why more people arent trying to build similar game making tools.

^ well, they don't have the sourcecode on the website. Only a cross-platform .zip which I bet is full of executables.

It does look like what the OP is looking for.

Back