Game Editor

1magus

This is a request to get Game Editor working on the Pandora:
Game Editor
They have the full source code on the website

Imagine NON coders working on Games that run on the Pandora, you can edit and make games on the go!

Some clarification I'm talking about the full editor running on the Pandora, I know it can be done with some hard work off course. We can't just keep relying on Ginge for everything.

Well Game Editor can already spit out GP2X executables, so those could always be packaged up with GINGE

Wow! It will be great if this app will be ported to Pndora!
When you port it, add it to OpenHandhelds website in Pandora section!

Pleng said:
Well Game Editor can already spit out GP2X executables, so those could always be packaged up with GINGE
I'm talking about the FULL Editor running on the Pandora not just the executables.

Last edited by a moderator:
Anybody want to try and get the full editor running on Pandora hardware?

I think it will be not so easy:
The minimum requirements are Windows 95 or Linux with 32MB RAM, an x86 compatible processor (Pentium, AMD, ...) running at 200MHz.

this is a quote from their website and I downloaded the "sourcecode". But there is nothing to build it. No Makefile or anything. I an not even sure it is the sourcecode anyway.

mcobit said:
I think it will be not so easy:
The minimum requirements are Windows 95 or Linux with 32MB RAM, an x86 compatible processor (Pentium, AMD, ...) running at 200MHz.

this is a quote from their website and I downloaded the "sourcecode". But there is nothing to build it. No Makefile or anything. I an not even sure it is the sourcecode anyway.

You downloaded this?
Code:
http://game-editor.svn.sourceforge.net/viewvc/game-editor.tar.gz?view=tar

They have sourcecode, because their project is on SourceForge :D I think that you clicked on "View Source" button on site, and then he showed you a Source of page :D

Necrofenser, mcobit has packaged up many applications for the Pandora. I'm sure he is more than aware of the difference between downloading source from a link and viewing the source of a webpage.

Do you know what a makefile is?

Pleng said:
Necrofenser, mcobit has packaged up many applications for the Pandora. I'm sure he is more than aware of the difference between downloading source from a link and viewing the source of a webpage.

Do you know what a makefile is?

I am having a look at this now. it seems to need wxWidgets. That is not in the repository, but I'll see...

I just didn't scroll down enough to see the link. My fault.

Edit: I am not taking something like this personal or serious... :p

Edit2: Maybe you could say this is early giving up, but I don't get this. There has to be someone with some more experience to have a look at this.

Well you shot down my Novashell idea, do you think Game Editor would work fine on the Pandora'as 800x480 screen resolution?

Because I just tried Game Editor @ 800x600 screen resolution and it looks and runs fine :) I can access everything without scrolling.

I don't have any experience with Game Editor. If you've tried it at that resolution, and it works, with nothing occupying the bottom, say 20% of the screen then there's no reason it shouldn't theoretically work with the Pandora.

Pleng said:
I don't have any experience with Game Editor. If you've tried it at that resolution, and it works, with nothing occupying the bottom, say 20% of the screen then there's no reason it shouldn't theoretically work with the Pandora.
Nothing is used on the bottom just map space if you have an extremely large game. I don't mean to beg you but do you think somebody will eventually port the whole thing? Because this is sort of becoming a dream of mine, making video games on the Pandora for the Pandora.

Tyler. Somebody will only attempt to port it if they want it enough.

Nobody's going to port it because there's the possibility that you might end up making a game on it. Truth is, right now it could be used to make a game on which could be run on the Pandora via GINGE. Your dream of making a game for the Pandora on it's tiny screen is an unrealistic one. Even if you feel that everything fits on screen at the appropriate resolution, bear in mind that everything's still going to be half the size on the Pandora's screen than it is on your PCs screen.

You've put your request out there, now all you can do is hope somebody picks it up to run with it - or alternatively give it a go yourself and report your findings in the dev section. Somebody might be able to help you when you come across problems.

I can honestly not recommend making a go of if yourself however, as it's a lot of work to put in, just to then find out that actually making games on the Pandora just isn't practical.

Well, there is still a x86 quote in the systemrequirements. You could contact the developers, if they would add pandora as a target and if the EDITOR itself can be ported to arm architecture.

mcobit said:
Well, there is still a x86 quote in the systemrequirements. You could contact the developers, if they would add pandora as a target and if the EDITOR itself can be ported to arm architecture.
I guess I could try but it seems they are busy getting games stable on the IOS platform.
Just sent an email to their tech department I will let you all know what they think.

I already contacted the author a few months ago, he has not the time to port on the Pandora.

The runtime would be a first good start, it should be easier to port and then you could at least easily create games on the desktop and run them ont he Pandora :D

EvilDragon said:
I already contacted the author a few months ago, he has not the time to port on the Pandora.

The runtime would be a first good start, it should be easier to port and then you could at least easily create games on the desktop and run them ont he Pandora :D
It would be nice to make games for the Pandora with this program but we all keep calling the Pandora a mini desktop computer it has to be possible to get the editor running on a Pandora. ;)

Please :pandora2ut4: > :wiz:

Back