Further Problems?

NickLoTurco

Website
www.hitthesport.com
Hi, I'm going to get battered for this topic I know but, we were told about mid december-ish that if everything went to plan then we'd have Pandora's flying out before the end of the year (possibly) or early Jan........since it looks unlikely that's the case due to inactivity since then (I know it's christmas and I don't expect them to work through it)........have there been any more glitches? I'm only asking as the Xbox 360 adverts are beginning to weaken me and the idea of a refund is tempting.........just getting cold feet as I'd have loved something to play with this week as I'm off work.

This might sound like a whine but it wasn't meant to be, I'm just like everybody else, half excited and half growing impatient!

Lo Turco

yeah ever since we were told the pandora wouldn't come this year,
i kinda have the feeling to not expect it any time soon.

we've been talking about it for a year now and that tought kinda
makes the pandora a "ghost console" that we've never really seen.

Come on, we're on the final stages and we can see the end from here :)

Really it isn't that hard to wait. Delays were expected, and a year is a short time of development for a device like this. IMHO the major differences between the pandora's creation process and any other console's, from the POV of the customer, are the pre-order thing and that Openpandora team gives us so much info in comparison, that the pre-orderers become more anxious for news, chew every bit of info ad nauseam and we entertain ourselves in questioning every announcement. I understand, and those things accentuates the closer we are to the release. But for gosh sake we're very very close now, so don't panic ;)

Have a little Faith .. it's nearly there

The key mat discussion thread shows the near completed base unit (excluding case) which MWeston used one of the older prototype cases for

http://www.gp32x.de/board/index.php?showt...mp;#entry683091

As far as I can see, all we are really waiting for now seems to be a completed CNC machined case which will be done after New Year and then we will see the first fully assembled Pandora

On the plus - lots of apps will be ported for release, indeed some of the emulators shown in the forums look cool as well DosBox, SNES and we have already seen the MAME, PSX, MegaDrive and FinalBurn emulators from a while back

DosBox: ---> http://www.gp32x.de/board/index.php?showtopic=45830

SNES: ---> http://www.gp32x.de/board/index.php?showtopic=45839

I expect the first Units to be shipped by the end of January 2009 .. they we can all cheer :lol: :D

Yep I know its a bummer waiting .. but we won't be disappointed and it will be worth the wait

=========

gp32_console + :gp2x and hopefully a :pandora1:

http://gp2xwizandpandora.blogspot.com/

Last edited by a moderator:
NickLoTurco said:
...just getting cold feet as I'd have loved something to play with this week as I'm off work.
You only have to look down! :ph34r:

There was something about the cases going to the wrong place... that couple with xmas postal service could be why we haven't heard anything further right now. But yeah we're on the final stretch but patience is certainly something that's difficult to maintain. All we can really do is wait. And distract ourselves by playing with other things... :rolleyes:

thomasvdp said:
Thats right. You have done so. I quote from your avatar:

As we are all waiting for the pandora I tell you all a little story:

I was soo excited about the SE Xperia mobile. It was delayed by around 6 month and all I ever read where short posts on news sites that it will be delayed to the next quarter and so on.
There was NO word WHY it has been delayed. The good side of this: I don't even bother. I just forgot the phone till I read the next news about a further delay.

The story with pandora is different. Here we know WHY it is delayed. And we are here on these forums everyday hoping to read: "The pandora ships tomorrow". We all know that it will not be shipped before January (or even later) and we are here nonetheless. WE ALL SHOULD STAY away and try to forget ybout the P for some weeks. I will TRY to stay away from these forums till next year.

So i wish everybody a happy New Year.

P.S.:
just deleted the bookmark for these forums to not accidently click it :)

Creature XL said:
The story with pandora is different. Here we know WHY it is delayed. And we are here on these forums everyday hoping to read: "The pandora ships tomorrow". We all know that it will not be shipped before January (or even later) and we are here nonetheless. WE ALL SHOULD STAY away and try to forget ybout the P for some weeks. I will TRY to stay away from these forums till next year.
Well, I imagine some of us prefer to suffer :lol:

Merry christmas to all openpandorians and a happy new hanheld :)

My guess that as soon as any credit card re-order pages go up, you can guarantee that you'll have a Pandora in your hands in the next 30 days. The devs don't want to fall into the paypal trap again, so will wait until they know they can ship in that timeframe.

So, at the time of posting, that means no Pandora until at least 27th January.

mazza558 said:
My guess that as soon as any credit card re-order pages go up, you can guarantee that you'll have a Pandora in your hands in the next 30 days. The devs don't want to fall into the paypal trap again, so will wait until they know they can ship in that timeframe.

The day they put the CC page would indicate the last pre-ordered Pandora would be received no 'later' than the 27.. i.e. within 30 days.... the first one could be shipped that same day.....perhaps there's a bit of negativity impacting the faulty logic / conclusion. <evil grin>

Twiitcher
Just Saying....

Creature XL said:
thomasvdp said:
Thats right. You have done so. I quote from your avatar:

I've had a gp2x for over 2 years now(bought it from gpark.nl).
Since then i've followed a lot of the threads around here but never felt the urge to actually
participate in them.

it ain't that hard not to judge people this fast.

joseluisjazz said:
Come on, we're on the final stages and we can see the end from here :)
No, we can't. What do we have?

A prototype keymat, with no hardtops, which has only just been shipped halfway around the world so that MWeston can test it. There are no actual membranes being built yet - that would be madness, if there was a problem with say, a screw hole in the wrong place. So no, we have no finalised membranes.

There's a CNC case, but it's doubtful that the actual cases have been made yet - what happens if the keymat doesn't fit the case due to a fault in the case? It might fit the PCB nicely, but not the case. Again, it would be madness to produce 4,000 cases before they've been assembled.

We haven't seen anything other than a board with LCD attached, powered by mains power. No battery plugged in yet?

So given that the cases and the keymats are not even being moulded yet, how long would you say we have to go now?

I'd be surprised if it ships before february. However, I'll go out on a limb here and predict that there will be another sabotage attempt by those who are trying to stop it, and it will be at least 3 months yet.

I'm just as excited as anyone else here, but thinking this will go out in the early january is just bollocks, no matter what Chip says when he states that "there is nothing to stop us now" - there's always something to stop us, and all it takes is an email or phone call to complain to their bank (again), and it all starts all over again.

You can tell I'm in the festive mood, can't you?

D.

february is optimistic. we have nothing yet, just some prototype parts. it wont ship until april, may or possibly june imo... such a shame.

mazza558 said:

You've got your logic backwards. That they cannot guarantee that it will ship before the 27th of January does not mean that it won't. It simply means that they cannot be sure, yet.

Dunny said:
What do we have?

The board is finished and polished, MK3 works 100% and no more revisions are needed, now it's the factory which has to produce the boards with a low error margin (big step mounting those 0,4mm SoCs, it's bleeding edge) . But everything works already, even battery (although we didn't see a battery in a video but it's implied, and have been discussed, and even improved the circuitry since the first revisions. They're receiving the prototypes now. While continuing building and improving the OS. And they are showing some of the candy from time to time. Now it's about to fit the case/mat/screen together, and giving the last instructions and corrections needed before some serious production can start.

Again, it would be madness to produce 4,000 cases before they've been assembled.
And that is why they are doing this at the pace it needs to be done. One step at a time. The thing is that the crisis+Christmas isn't helping on receiving things faster. But all seems under control to me.

I'd be surprised if it ships before february. However, I'll go out on a limb here and predict that there will be another sabotage attempt by those who are trying to stop it, and it will be at least 3 months yet.
Well, future is open, but if nothing unexpected happens I'd bet the first units could be shipping on late january, most of them in february. I can't see anything more needing more than one month in order to finish it.

gibberish said:
february is optimistic. we have nothing yet, just some prototype parts. it wont ship until april, may or possibly june imo... such a shame.

lol, I know this time of the year could be a little deppresive ;) But there's no need to anticipate the worst future and suffer on imagination. If you don't want to stress yourself you can always ignore the forums and return to check them again in one month, that's what some people are doing. We'll probably have many more good news by then.

You know, people are never happy. We knew what MWeston had with him, we knew what he was getting, we demanded the pictures for days, we went on and on and on and on about news. We got something, the world is coming to an end.

This forum is half full of geniuses and brilliantly patient people, and half full of sorry excuses for assholes.

If I had it my way, this whole forum and any other forum, would be shut down, we could get dev updates when they came, and we would wait and be thankful when the Pandoras arrived. I cant tell if the talk on here is more constructive or destructive, and I know that this post is negative, but like batman, in a world of lightness and darkness, you sometimes need a dark knight to help fight for the lightness.

I for one will not be coming back here until I can finally see all these pointlessly negative people eat their words, otherwise they'll have to pull their undeserved pandoras out of their asses.

PokeParadox said:
There was something about the cases going to the wrong place...
The whole first batch will come directly to the recycling facility :)

Back