Frontier Elite 2 which works?

cosurgi

http://janek.kozicki.pl/
Website
janek.kozicki.pl
Hi,

has anybody seen a version of Elite 2 which actually works on Pandora?

I've seen some zipped .pnd somewhere but I could never get this to work. I was trying to play in dosbox, but that was too slow, and mouse in dosbox is broken...

help anyone?

I got it working in uae4all before.It seemed fine.Might depend on what version rom you have though.

I got it working in uae4all before.It seemed fine.Might depend on what version rom you have though.
I gave the Amiga version a honest try. Unfortunately too slow :(

I overclocked to 905MHz, I've set detail level to lowest possible, and still I had about 2 or 4 FPS. Really impossible to play. Also the game ofen did not react to keypresses. For example to change camera view with F1, sometimes it was enough to press F1 just once, other times I had to press it three of four times until it finally responded.

Unplayable.

I am trying to compile this on my PC: http://tom.noflag.org.uk/glfrontier.html

if it compiles, we can think about compiling it for Pandora. Then we can think about fixing bugs in it. Maybe this is the best way to go?

EDIT: wow, I managed to compile this on PC, only following changes were needed:

Code:
diff -ur ./frontvm3-20060623//Makefile-C ./frontvm3-20060623-new//Makefile-C

--- ./frontvm3-20060623//Makefile-C     2006-06-24 01:08:29.000000000 +0200

+++ ./frontvm3-20060623-new//Makefile-C 2011-04-18 01:04:20.000000000 +0200

@@ -1,5 +1,5 @@

export CFLAGS = -O2 -g -Wall -DOGG_MUSIC

-export LIBS = -lGL -lGLU -lvorbisfile -lvorbis -logg

+export LIBS = -lGL -lGLU -lvorbisfile -lvorbis -logg -lm

export FE2OBJS = ../fe2.part1.o ../fe2.part2.o

THIS=Makefile-C

diff -ur ./frontvm3-20060623//src/screen.c ./frontvm3-20060623-new//src/screen.c

--- ./frontvm3-20060623//src/screen.c   2006-06-24 01:08:28.000000000 +0200

+++ ./frontvm3-20060623-new//src/screen.c       2011-04-18 01:02:39.000000000 +0200

@@ -8,7 +8,7 @@

#include <SDL.h>

#include <GL/gl.h>

#include <GL/glu.h>

-

+#include <math.h>

#include "main.h"

#include "../m68000.h"

#include "screen.h"

and compile with

Code:
make -f Makefile-C

now - we need to compile this on pandora.

And also - I am still not sure if it's playable - I only started it, and did a take-off from Ross-154

Last edited by a moderator:
I've had it compiled for the Pandora for a month or so - but no time to fix the graphics startup problem.

I'll find where I put it, tar it up & slap it on a URL in a widdle bit.

I've had it compiled for the Pandora for a month or so - but no time to fix the graphics startup problem.

I'll find where I put it, tar it up & slap it on a URL in a widdle bit.

if you can't find it, can you at least tell if you had to do some heavy modifications just to get it to compile?

Hopefully this will progress, as I've had frustrations getting anything to run too (and need a 3D space combat/trading fix).

Anyone tried this in the meantime? http://www.oolite.org/

newkind18.png

It may not be frontier but it's coming along nicely...

Dare I dream that you are creating this to combine the gaming controls and the touch screen?

Dare I dream that you are creating this to combine the gaming controls and the touch screen?

I'd hope that amount of screen real-estate being obscured is optional :)

We have a keyboard, the touchscreen really isn't necessary. Looks quite nice though!

D.

Gaming controls, touchscreen and keyboard all work, as will an external gamepad if you plug one in.

it's pretty much done now, just need to improve the icon graphics (I code better than I draw) and solve one remaining keyboard bug..

I'll have a beta up soon (IE: in the next day or two)

The display is not optional, it's based on my idea of what I think is ideal, we may have a keyboard but we also have a touchscreen (additionally, the icons appear/disappear depending if equipment is fitted so it's not purely for input...) but I've ideas of building it for android phones in the future so the touchscreen support won't whurt.

More to the point, you get to see basic status information without having to switch screens in combat, on the original you would have to check your cargo in another screen before scooping something up and so on

Hihi

Beta posted in beta testing thread now, feel free to give it a try and make any suggestions...

This does look good.

@dunny, considering the original was made for a 4:3 aspect ratio screen, would it not need some rejigging to look good on the widescreen of the Pandora. Here we get the original aspect with some additional functionality.

This does look good.

@dunny, considering the original was made for a 4:3 aspect ratio screen, would it not need some rejigging to look good on the widescreen of the Pandora. Here we get the original aspect with some additional functionality.
It needed significant work anyway as it was designed for 800x600 but only uses 512 pixel wide screen, lol, did try it with a larger viewport but didn't like it, too used to the originals I guess -.o

Feel free to move any discussion to the thread in beta testing though...

Back