Freespace Open?

Looked around and didn't really see anything about it.

http://scp.indiegames.us/guides.php

Thanks in advance

Don't know much about the necessaries here, but i would say purely based on the screenshots that the Pandora has a 0% chance of being able to run this at anything like a playable speed.. overclocking or no overclocking, not so sure that the mythical DSP would be of any help either..

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't see how you think that the Pandora isn't capable of running this at a reasonable speed if properly ported. It doesn't look any bit graphically superior to Quake 3 level graphics and that runs full speed without overclocking.

I don't see how you think that the Pandora isn't capable of running this at a reasonable speed if properly ported. It doesn't look any bit graphically superior to Quake 3 level graphics and that runs full speed without overclocking.

Purely based on the lovely particle effects.. is there anything currently running on Pandora that looks anywhere near as good as this..? if so iv'e missed it.. come on potential porters prove me wrong!

EDIT:

https://www.youtube.com/embed/kOWh142gBjA?feature=oembed

Well possible..? (if of course it's portable) does look phenomenal though

Purely based on the lovely particle effects.. is there anything currently running on Pandora that looks anywhere near as good as this..? if so iv'e missed it.. come on potential porters prove me wrong!

EDIT:

Well possible..? (if of course it's portable) does look phenomenal though

Well those still shots wasn't giving what I saw in that video any credit. If there is a way to scale the down effects then I still have a bit of hope for this.

I used to run Frespace 2 on a 64MB 300Mhz PC with an 8MB voodoo 3 card back in the day and it ran great. However I believe that Freespace Open has had shedloads of engine tweaks compared to the original engine.

That said there was an old thread on some Freespace forum I once read where they were quite excited about the Pandora as a possible platform for FSO so maybe it's doable.

Looked around and didn't really see anything about it.

http://scp.indiegames.us/guides.php

Thanks in advance

Don't know much about the necessaries here, but i would say purely based on the screenshots that the Pandora has a 0% chance of being able to run this at anything like a playable speed.. overclocking or no overclocking, not so sure that the mythical DSP would be of any help either..
I know this is an old thread, but Freespace has had several graphical enhancements since it was open-sourced. While running FSOpen with all the extra effects, models and textures might be beyond the Pandora's capabilities, I think there's a reasonably good chance that it could run something closer to the vanilla version of the game without too much trouble. It was originally designed to run on late 1990s PCs, after all.

At any rate, FS2 is an awesome game and it'd be great to be able to make it portable. They might have to implement some sort of in-mission save system to make it suitable for bus commutes, though. Some of those missions can take a while.

It should work without the updated models/effects/textures/etc.

But even good nubs won't replace a good old joystick.

I would love to see this on the Pandora. It should run fine with the retail assests (especially on the 512MB units). But as usual the catch here is the conversion that's needed from OpenGL to GLES. I've had a look at the source and it's far from trivial.

It would be a killer app on the Pandora though with it's build in controls :)

Back