Freesci Released!

Hooka

That Guy!
Website
Visit site
Hello all,
I've got a new release for you guys to play with, freesci for GP2X! I've tried to get it as nice as possible to play on both F100's and F200's, but we'll see what you guys think ;) As a small note, audio is retardedly loud on F200 so I have it lower the volume off the start (usually to mute, but depends how loud it is when you started ;) ) Go get it here! Some VGA games are already working (like LSL1 VGA, SQ1 VGA, LSL5 etc.) but I don't know how stable they may be. I hope to revisit this port later and add some nice new features, but I feel that RACE!, my interviews and my online schooling needs some lovin' too :) Not to mention being back to work now :p

Anyways, look forward to an updated RACE! and hopefully another interview in the near future!

Have a good one!
TJ Hooka

P.S. Pickles if you read this, I'm kinda still interested in Wolf3D, but I realize your port surpasses mine in most respects, so please get ahold of me and I might be able to add in some of the stuff from my port and/or some new little things ;)

P.P.S. Big thanks to Waltervn (aka The Phantom) as he did all the basic porting chores I just tweaked it ;)

Congrats Hooka! Everyone downloading this, remember that your feedback is important! Freesci might still not be perfect, although I've found the beta's highly playable.

Maybe you should mention that the port is based on glutton code, which means that most (not all) games should work, but might have quirks.

I hope now the site is back online (you seem to have managed to get your post through just before the final break LOL) you get the props you deserve!

- also asked this question in the openpandora forum, but no answer yet so here it is again:

Just tried it. Seems the menu can't find the gamefiles. Probably something wrong with my config file.

I have my games in
/games/freesci/ (do they need to be extracted?)
config file has only one line: menu_dir="."

I also tried adding this in the config file:
$(INSTALLEDDIR)="/games/FreeSCI/"

Pretty sure this should be something else.

Yes, they need to be extracted in a folder in /freesci.

Regards,
Stephan

Nice work!

Thanks for this, and I'm looking forward to the RACE! update. :)

Very nice.. playing all these games on an F200 is so much fun! Not sure if you had updated this game since giving me your beta privately, but I had a problem selecting saved games other than the first in the list. Haven't updated to the version here yet, though.

Great stuff Hooka, thanks for all your work. :) Just to repeat my own words from "the splinter forum": All controls and text input have been implemented beautifully, and it's also fun playing with USB keyboard & mouse.

Space Quest 3:

shot15_0000.png

And more working games, pics originally posted by sbock:

Larry 3:

ls1.png

ls2.png

Police Quest 2:

pq1.png

pq2.png

Senor Quack: Thanks for the heads up, I'll check it out when I catch up on my online school ;)

Hooka said:
Senor Quack: Thanks for the heads up, I'll check it out when I catch up on my online school ;)

I haven't encountered it from the first playable beta. Filled a save dir up to the point where no new restorepoints could be added and I could still access every individual restorepoint. But well, Senor Quack is an authority so I'm not pulling his words in doubt.

Btw. did you already have time to look at the shift-L bug? As far as I could discover, it's the only key not working.

Btw2. somehow I missed the existence of a USB keyboard and mouse, but it will definitely make some parts of some games more playable! Will try that!

Last edited by a moderator:
Squirrel61: I forgot to give that a look, I'll see if I have time tonight after my online school ;)

Back