Freesci Alpha Release

Is the file we create with the directory path a .cfg file or a text file? Also, does it matter what folder we put the games in? I was thinking of just putting the config file and the games in the FREESCI folder.

Mind if I ask which version of FreeSCI this is based on? Looking forward to playing QFG1/2, but I know one of the versions (probably the stable one) doesn't support them properly yet.

Either way though, its STUNNING to see this finally ported over (i.e. the possibility of QFG2 one day on the move goes up quite substantially). Thanks, even if it is only an alpha version :) .

Magellan posted on Dec 28 2004 at 07:47 AM said:
Is the file we create with the directory path a .cfg file or a text file?
It's a normal text file called 'config', no extension.
Magellan posted on Dec 28 2004 at 07:47 AM said:
Also, does it matter what folder we put the games in? I was thinking of just putting the config file and the games in the FREESCI folder.
Each game should go in its own directory, it doesn't matter where you put them as long as you enter the directories in the config file. the FREESCI folder might not be a good place for them though, because savegames will also be stored in there.

Tobriand posted on Dec 28 2004 at 11:08 AM said:
Mind if I ask which version of FreeSCI this is based on?
This version is basically the GP32 binary of the current CVS version of the stable branch. The port has already been integrated back into the main FreeSCI codebase.
Looking forward to playing QFG1/2, but I know one of the versions (probably the stable one) doesn't support them properly yet.
The EGA version of QFG1 should work. QFG2 does not work in stable, and the 'glutton' branch is not in a usable state yet (on any platform).

Either way though, its STUNNING to see this finally ported over (i.e. the possibility of QFG2 one day on the move goes up quite substantially). Thanks, even if it is only an alpha version :) .
Thanks, I've only had my GP32 for 9 days now, I love the little thing so far. :) I do think I need to get me one of those 'chatboard' things though.

Last edited by a moderator:
grooveholmes posted on Dec 28 2004 at 12:29 PM said:
thanks for porting this.
interpreters are cool.
i think it supports more games than sarien. let's hope every one of them will run on the gp one day.
Sarien and FreeSCI are two completely different interpreters. Sarien runs the earliest generation of Sierra adventure games (which use AGI). FreeSCI runs the 2nd generation of adventure games (SCI0), these are EGA like the AGI games, but use a higher resolution. The games that work in Sarien won't work in FreeSCI and vice-versa. Support for newer versions of SCI (the VGA games) is being worked on, but probably won't be ready for quite a while yet.

this is great to see a new adventure game engine being developed! I would love to help out with testing and feedback but I'm restricted by net cafes right now, when I get settled I'll take a close look at this. However I don't have a BLU+ or a chatboard to test for you, sorry.

Great work...err...i think. I can't get past the game select screen - it doesn't show any games!! Here's what I did :

1. Copied freesci.fxe into GPMM
2. Created GPMM\LSL3 directory and copied LSL3 files into it.
3. Created GPMM\FREESCI and copied 'config' file into it.
4. Ran freesci.fxe from YAFL but the game select screen is blank.

'Config' file :

[lsl3]
resource_dir=dev0:\gpmm\lsl3

This copy of LSL3 (Leisure Suit Larry 3) works with the Windows version of FreeSCI - freesci-0.3.2a-win32 - so the game is OK.

I remember playing these old Sierra games on my Atari ST and Amiga when they first came out. Classics!

Please help

ross_hall posted on Dec 29 2004 at 12:21 AM said:
Great work...err...i think. I can't get past the game select screen - it doesn't show any games!! Here's what I did :

1. Copied freesci.fxe into GPMM
2. Created GPMM\LSL3 directory and copied LSL3 files into it.
3. Created GPMM\FREESCI and copied 'config' file into it.
4. Ran freesci.fxe from YAFL but the game select screen is blank.

'Config' file :

[lsl3]
resource_dir=dev0:\gpmm\lsl3

This copy of LSL3 (Leisure Suit Larry 3) works with the Windows version of FreeSCI - freesci-0.3.2a-win32 - so the game is OK.

I remember playing these old Sierra games on my Atari ST and Amiga when they first came out. Classics!

Please help

Is it an EGA game ?. Its just that i have read the phantoms post properly and has said that EGA is supported and VGA is being worked on, But probably won`t be ready for a while yet. ;)

Trooper

LSL3 is an EGA game and is supported. ;) Anyway, I looked into the config file issue and it is indeed the case that DOS-formatted text files don't work. I'll try to look for a workaround, but in the meantime make sure the config file is UNIX-formatted (e.g. use an editor like UltraEdit and save in UNIX format).

Which files are needed to run? I have Space Quest 3, and there are a bunch of resource files. Resource.001 through .005. Are those the ones I need?

My goodness! This is amazing, SCI for my gp32. It's a dream come true!

Thanks a lot Phantom!

Magellan posted on Dec 29 2004 at 05:02 AM said:
Which files are needed to run? I have Space Quest 3, and there are a bunch of resource files. Resource.001 through .005. Are those the ones I need?
Yes, but you also need resource.map. You should also keep all other files that have a 3-digit extension. Those are patches (e.g. bugfixes) that will be applied when the game is loaded.

Thx Phantom your fix worked a treat. :) It looks very promising (esp for an alpha).

Little bug report:

On Space Quest 3 the game loads ok but the spaceship door does not open (first screen in the game). It works ok on the windows version.

Leisure Suit Larry 3 locks up after you answer the first question (start of the game that asks you 5 questions). Again it works on the windows version.

I'll do some more testing later....

ross_hall posted on Dec 29 2004 at 10:21 PM said:
Thx Phantom your fix worked a treat. :) It looks very promising (esp for an alpha).

Little bug report:

On Space Quest 3 the game loads ok but the spaceship door does not open (first screen in the game). It works ok on the windows version.

Leisure Suit Larry 3 locks up after you answer the first question (start of the game that asks you 5 questions). Again it works on the windows version.

I'll do some more testing later....
These probems are probably caused by the absence of a so called 'sound server'. Some things might be triggered by sound events, which don't happen now. The soundserver is next on my todo list. (Note that this is not the same as having sound support.) There are probably many of these bugs right now. After the soundserver has been implemented each game should work fine (although there still wouldn't be any 'real' sound.)

I'd like to know whether BLU+ and the Chatboard work though, has anyone tried it?

I haven't got a BLU+, just the first-edition BLU but I do have a chatboard.

When I run FreeSCI (with the chatboard) it sometimes locks up at the game select screen. If FreeSCI loads ok and the games select screen works, pressing the SMS key will lock up FreeSCI. By 'lock up' I mean the D-pad and A/B buttons do not work but the START button does (cycles thru K, M and virtual keyb). The chatboard doesn't work in any games either.

GBAX have some chatboards in stock and they are very reliable (www.gbax.com)

Back