Freedom of the web

Lao Rebel

with everything going on about Governments wanting to clamp down on Internet freedoms, what does this mean for the future of Pandora? they want to fight "piracy" and opensource material and it just got me thinking that the Pandora project might someday come under attack.

It's a small, pocket linux device. The worst that can happen is repeated lawsuits over patents, which would crush the project.

Also may impact where software is hosted, but I doubt that. This only due to emulators, and those to my knowledge are legal.

Last edited by a moderator:
Might as well crack down on desktop/laptop computers, they run emulators as well.. The Pandora is essentially a small handheld computer.. the worst that happens the OPT get pressured from mentioning it can run emulators on the main page and focus on the fact it can run native linux games.

Edit: Personally, I use a lot more nativity ported open source games than emulators ..

Yeah, the Pandora really isn't in a dangerous spot (unless Germany adopts an immediate-website-takedown-for-any-supposed-violation-by-users-without-due-process thing, which could definitely affect the Repo).

with everything going on about Governments wanting to clamp down on Internet freedoms, what does this mean for the future of Pandora? they want to fight "piracy" and opensource material and it just got me thinking that the Pandora project might someday come under attack.

Are the various governments really evil? Or are they just stupid and easily [cough] funded?

I though the problem was that Hollywood want paying every time anyone thinks about their products, not that they dislike open source stuff in particular.

Until, that is, open source stuff gets near big publishers (DVD decoding, emulators etc)

1- The problem is not governments, but big companies that corrupts and enslave governments with their money.

2- They don't want to clamp down on internet freedoms, they want to clamp down on freedoms.

3- Why do they want to do animal husbandry with people ? To sell more and make more money.

4- Not only governments, simple minded people are also enslaved by them. First coming in line are nowadays Apple fanboys.

5- Do big companies care about Pandora ? Well, there's probably some people paid to watch out niche stuff, but as long as OP don't steal too much of their money, we are safe.

-"Their money ?", you will ask.

Yes, that's how they think, because we are supposed to be slaves, so our money belongs to them.

1- The problem is not governments, but big companies that corrupts and enslave governments with their money.

2- They don't want to clamp down on internet freedoms, they want to clamp down on freedoms.

3- Why do they want to do animal husbandry with people ? To sell more and make more money.

4- Not only governments, simple minded people are also enslaved by them. First coming in line are nowadays Apple fanboys.

5- Do big companies care about Pandora ? Well, there's probably some people paid to watch out niche stuff, but as long as OP don't steal too much of their money, we are safe.

-"Their money ?", you will ask.

Yes, that's how they think, because we are supposed to be slaves, so our money belongs to them.
yes i agree w/you. i have talked w/some of these people and they really do actually use the word "slaves." it's pretty creppy that they see the masses this way. that is why i want alternative products, like the Pandora. i don't want to be a slave to big corporations, that is why i never bought any of Apple's products. i was starving for Tech until i found Pandora :)

Are the various governments really evil? Or are they just stupid and easily [cough] funded?

I though the problem was that Hollywood want paying every time anyone thinks about their products, not that they dislike open source stuff in particular.

Until, that is, open source stuff gets near big publishers (DVD decoding, emulators etc)
yes, what next? would they put me in jail just for letting a friend of mine borrow one of my DVDs? i can't let people borrow stuff anymore?! w/the way things are going, i won't be surprised to see laws set up to ban borrowing and lending of DVDs.

Lending dvd has always been a crime hasn't it? Was my understanding.. not that I give a ish and adhere to it, but still law I think.

Just like it's illegal to have people round mine to watch my new DVD or to record a radio show onto tape. Stupid laws that even my granny breaks.

Lending dvd has always been a crime hasn't it? Was my understanding.. not that I give a ish and adhere to it, but still law I think.

Just like it's illegal to have people round mine to watch my new DVD or to record a radio show onto tape. Stupid laws that even my granny breaks.
If that's the case, then public libraries are illegal.

I don't know where you live but here in germany, such things have been and still are perfectly legal. We are also allowed to make copies for our familymembers and close friends. (If you don't need to break any accredited copy-protection)

If that's the case, then public libraries are illegal.
Libraries typically have paid-for licenses. Same with books.

I don't know where you live but here in germany, such things have been and still are perfectly legal. We are also allowed to make copies for our familymembers and close friends. (If you don't need to break any accredited copy-protection)
Are you absolutely certain it is completely legal and not just unenforceable and no one cares? Because as far as I know that's the case in the US as well: technically illegal to lend out your DVD but no one knows that and no one cares.

No, in Germany you can lend dvds to your friends and make private copys as long, as you don't break copyprotection.

But you are not allowed to do it commercially of course.

I stand corrected, First Sale Doctrine in the US says you can legally transfer a copy of something that you have legally obtained, by sale or by lease. By this law, recognized in 1908, any work can be given away, sold, or even rented, for free or for commercial gain, provided that the work was legally obtained in the first place. You can sell or rent your original DVD but you can't make a copy and sell that. And you can't sell or lend stolen DVDs either, but you've already broken one law in obtaining the DVD so why stop there?

I live in London England.

I think libraries are illegal havens, yes :)

I'm getting this info from; You know when you start a dvd, you get the piracy bit at start, it often says that you must not broadcast or lend ... im sure it does.

Not something i pay any attention to nowaday, im harking back to when i was young and used to think that was a bit of a weird rule to add.

You get this type of thing on dvd, though this is from an American one i guess:

WARNING: Federal law provides severe civil and criminal penalties for the unauthorized reproduction, distribution or exhibition of copyrighted motion picture video tapes or video discs. Criminal copyright infringement is investigated by the FBI and may constitute a Felony with a maximum penalty of up to five years in prison and or a $20,000.00 fine.

The bit there about 'exhibition' is basically broken if i have a few mates around my room and let them watch, right?

Technically, its illegal for me to even copy my 'paid for' Spice Girls cd onto my phone and laptop

http://www.bbc.co.uk/newsbeat/14384815

WARNING: Federal law provides severe civil and criminal penalties for the unauthorized reproduction, distribution or exhibition of copyrighted motion picture video tapes or video discs. Criminal copyright infringement is investigated by the FBI and may constitute a Felony with a maximum penalty of up to five years in prison and or a $20,000.00 fine.

The bit there about 'exhibition' is basically broken if i have a few mates around my room and let them watch, right?

If it's illegal to sell something you own, then sites like eBay, Amazon, and tons of others are illegal. In fact, if I'm not mistaken, stores buy in bulk from manufacturers and re-sell to customers, which would mean stores are illegal, too. This just isn't the case. What you're not allowed to do with a movie (or anything else that is copyrighted) that you own is copy it, and then give away or sell that copy while keeping the original for yourself (or give away/sell the original and keep the copy).

Im not sure, its all legal blah blah to me, i do what i do .... i cant be reading those reams and reams of t&c's, but i suspect you are correct.

Or might be that the laws are just so old and rubbish that no one really cares if they broken.

We have plenty of those .. sure you all seen the websites of dumb laws, like paying for a cab fare is 'technically' illegal as the driver isnt carrying hay, going back to days of horse drawn carriage and a cabbie having to cater for his horses. Its still there in the black and white law books but no judge is going to bother having a case like that in his court.

as per my link above, it mentions on there a little bit about cloud storage.

again technically for us in the UK at least, these are not legal.

so if you got an ipad and you use Apples cloud service for your music, you are breaking the law... from what i can tell anyway

as i say im no lawyer and i dont really care either way, im first to admit i break many [imo. minor] laws

edit: that link is a few months old now btw, for all i know that change may have happened and its all legal now, i dont know

Technically, its illegal for me to even copy my 'paid for' Spice Girls cd onto my phone and laptop

http://www.bbc.co.uk/newsbeat/14384815

I can't tell what the laws are in england for this but such a written _warning_ is not legaly binding and is mostly there to scare people off. We have those too, big companies just like to slap such things onto everything to spread doubts. Heck, if everything a company says is true then, according to Nintendo, emulation would be illegal, wich is not the case of course.

Back