Fore!

TheMinder

I started work on a simple, retro-type golf game this week, working title of FORE!

Stealing a lot of ideas/code from a 20 year old game that will receive full credit on release

The random hole generate is working fine, there's minimal graphics that will suffice, fonts are done and although i'm going to have no computer access for something like 10 days from thursday night i reckon the full thing should be out in the first 2 weeks of september (i'm down to about 4 hours per week max of available personal computer-related time now :( )

Don't get too excited though as i'm sure i saw the "original" receive 2 out 5 stars back in 1986 :blink:

Here's a screenshot of it at the "proof of concept" stage (not a mock up, taken from gp2x using SDL_SaveBMP)

fore.gif

Seems very retro judging by the tiles. I would be more excited for a prettier golf game. Any chance that you will also make a new one at some point? That random hole generator is a cool feature. Looking forward to try this out.

You might be able to work out something that adjusts the tiles so that they have an actual edge rather than a sudden switch. It would still look a little square though :(

The map generator looks good, especially if you haven't worked on it very long on it.

Cool.. im looking forward to playing som golf on my gp2x... good luck with your work

Nice work there mate :) The screenshot reminds me of Nethack for some reason. I'm curious on how the gameplay will work out, but so far you're off with a very nice start. And thank you very much for sharing the existence of SDL_SaveBMP, as I looked for such a function for quite a long time to no avail.

- Alex

Digitalrat posted on Aug 16 2006 at 12:49 PM said:
Looks nice. I somehow like the tiles. :)

Yes, i'm finding the visuals somehow pleasing. I will play this when it comes out.

TheMinder: You say the landscape is generated? What approach are you taking?

Looks good!

Last edited by a moderator:
Hehe Nethack + Golf sim... what do you get when you cross both? I have no idea but here is a hamster with a pancake on it's head... not...

Anyway I really want to play a decent golf sim on the gp2x. So that means I am excited for this. Mario golf for gameboy is getting boring. Cool.

Here's the first full release - i can't shake off the nagging feeling that i forgot to do something to finish off but we'll throw it open and see if i have.

Now in the archive with full source : http://archive.gp2x.de/cgi-bin/cfiles.cgi?0,0,0,0,36,1796

and here's the initial readme

FORE 1.0

Background
----------
Back in 1982 2 young lads sat in front of small portable TV, typed LOAD "" and within a few minutes the way their minds worked changed forever. Back then videogames could do that.
The game in question was Spectrum Golf by R & R Software and i include the spectrum files out of respect.
Port/Conversion/Theft/Celebration is for other people to decide, this was a labour of love above all else.

Installation
------------
Pop all the files somewhere on your SD card.
If using from a share you may need to do a manual KILL 21 (i did when i was developing).

Instructions
------------
You have to complete a round of 9 holes of golf , each hole is randomly generated.
You start off with a handicap of 28 and this can be reduced at the end of a round if you've done well enough.

Full control instructions can be found in the game but here they are anyway.
Use JOYSTICK and L and R to select your shot angle (000 being NORTH, 180 being SOUTH).
Use Y to start the power meter and X to stop.
Use B to close any pop ups or dialog boxes.
To quit press SELECT at any popup or dialog box.

Notes
-----

This is the first release so there may well be problems (especially as i was rushing to put the files together). Please let me know, either on the gp32x.de forum or via email theminder@getrighteous.co.uk. Criticism is as appreciated as praise , if not more.

By and large i like the look and feel of the game, but obviously it is limited. If it passes 5 minutes for someone while they are in a queue/on a train etc then that will more than make me happy.

Some days i can play it fairly well, some days i'm 45 over par on EVERY hole.

9 holes may be too short for some (and too long for others!) - an option to play 18 may well appear later, as well as multiple players.

There's no sound and some things have been done in a lazy way and so i apologise for the size of the /images/ folder.

I'll release full source in the very near future after it's a bit more readable.

Enjoy !!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Most spectrum files are freely available for distribution (some notable exceptions include the software from the company that used to be known as Ultimate).

Check www.worldofspectrum.org for more stuff , especially with the new round of speccy emulators out.

Back