For producers

azuruk

Still Fresh
I understand from reading about this it's a device for gaming mostly right?
Is it possible that one day it could run fully fledged audio software such as Ableton 9 or Cubase?

The Pandora run uses an ARM processor and it runs Linux not windows, while x86 emulation does exist and could run some windows programs my guess it would run those programs at such a slow speed it's not worth it. 

We do have a slew of opensource Audio Linux programs that may do the trick, but I'm not sure if anything will fit the bill.

Lots of little opensource audio tools have been ported. nothing really for serious producing, though. it's all more a device for fiddling around. I use it at work on a regular basis to convert mp3 tracks people give me. so i usually normalize tracks before I throw them onto our PA but this is too much for my pandora already. little samples will work, larger tracks take forever.

It just doesn't have the processing power and RAM for something remotely similar to ableton Live or even cubase.

Just strongly depends on what you want to do. I wouldn't recommend running a live set with only a headphone jack connection anyway.

Cubase on the Atari ST emu seems to work and there´s some trackers too.

I personally like to use the small stuff like QMidiArp and let my Pandora control an external instrument.

Haven´t used any of the available sequencers yet, often the screenresolution is just to small for the application so it´s tedious having to move the window within the screen all the time.

It´s easier to just use my laptop.

Pyra will be so much nicer for this kind of stuffs

I do a little bit of music production on the go with my Pandora. For this I use MilkyTracker and Sunvox, which can both be found on the repo. They're both trackers however, which may take some getting used to if you've never used one before. The only other music software I've seen on the repo is LMMS, which I frankly wouldn't bother with, and Qtractor, which I can't speak for because I've never tried it.

Last edited by a moderator:
There are plenty of dev-boards out there with more ram than the Pandora and faster processors - I'd hope they could be persuaded of the relevance of such boards in a studio environment, if they're fast enough to cope with it.

But are these SBCs relevant in a studio environment? If so why and how if I may ask?

A buddy of mine has an old Studa Audio Mixer from a radio station, these are extremely awesome. Lots of people use these in professional recording studios because they are very sturdy and easy to repair. He will use an SBC to replace the built in peak meter and do conversion for his devices with different impedance right on the SBC (he is still using tape recorders and some vintage EQs). This is where SBC can be used I think. For a DAW in a professional environment, you want expandability, multiple professional I/O options. You need to add expansion cards on the fly and have lots of RAM and cpu speed. You want no latency while more than just a few direct inputs.

I could think of no use case in a studio environment, where I would want to run a DAW on a tiny portable board. Same thing goes for Cubase and Ableton Live! on Pandora as I really can't think of a scenario where I'd want to run these full fledged production suites on a tiny screen like the Pandoras.

Back