Flash 9 For Linux

This seems more suited for an off-topic discussion. If you meant feasibility of porting it to the GP2X in some way, this new version doesn't really make it any easier as the same obstacles exist.

Regardless of whether there's a Flash 9 plugin for Linux (and let's be clear here, it's just Linux-i386), entire websites should still NOT be done in Flash. As a way to deliver certain types of online content like videos and games, Flash is great but it sure makes for shitty website interfaces.

Ravnos posted on Oct 19 2006 at 12:10 PM said:
Regardless of whether there's a Flash 9 plugin for Linux (and let's be clear here, it's just Linux-i386), entire websites should still NOT be done in Flash. As a way to deliver certain types of online content like videos and games, Flash is great but it sure makes for shitty website interfaces.

qft

Last edited by a moderator:
Shikaku posted on Oct 19 2006 at 03:51 PM said:
Ravnos posted on Oct 19 2006 at 12:10 PM said:

qft
qft^2

EDIT: your site still doesn't work well, text all messed up, cursor wicked slow (good thing you can turn it off)

Ravnos posted on Oct 19 2006 at 05:10 PM said:

:unsure: <_<

*yawn*

DBH posted on Oct 20 2006 at 12:20 PM said:

*yawn*
Your site is fine, it takes a £800, $1200, machine to be able to display it correctly though..

DBH posted on Oct 20 2006 at 07:20 AM said:

*yawn*
you're just taking them as personal insults, but just take it as constructive criticism

and even with flash 9 we still can't view your site properly...

That seriously sucks then... those bastardos cant even make flash for linux properly. Dissappointing. I'll eventually sort out a pure HTML / CSS one. I almost had a nice flash 7 version sorted but some stupid bug with the navigation f00ked it up when ever I got it to land on a page it would play right through it which was annoying.

Poo.

DBH posted on Oct 21 2006 at 03:07 PM said:
That seriously sucks then... those bastardos cant even make flash for linux properly. Dissappointing. I'll eventually sort out a pure HTML / CSS one. I almost had a nice flash 7 version sorted but some stupid bug with the navigation f00ked it up when ever I got it to land on a page it would play right through it which was annoying.

Poo.
that sucks, at least you're trying for us linuxers, and yeah, pure html / css would be best especially since there are those out there that just don't install flash whether they're on linux windows or mac

DemonStar55 posted on Oct 21 2006 at 09:29 PM said:
DBH posted on Oct 21 2006 at 03:07 PM said:

Poo.
that sucks, at least you're trying for us linuxers, and yeah, pure html / css would be best especially since there are those out there that just don't install flash whether they're on linux windows or mac

I use FreeBSD as my desktop OS. It's possible to get flash running using ugly linux binary interpretation, but it runs at ~25% of regular speed... and... yeah. All flash sites are pretty much unusable to me.

I guess that's why I've still got a windows box right next to my workstation.

Flash 7 runs about as well on my FreeBSD laptop as it does on my Linux desktop when I use a Linux browser in BSD. It's quite painful when using the linux pluginwrapper, though, and even getting Flash 7 to work with the pluginwrapper is hit and miss.

This is just a beta, and it works better than Flash 7 ever did for me. Flash 7 used the deprecated OSS sound system, and so for some sound wouldn't play at all, and for most it lagged a few seconds behind. For me, Firefox just crashed anytime Flash made a sound... don't bother targetting Flash 7 for linux, it isn't worth it.

Back