Fishynes 0.01a

fishybawb

Hired Geek
Website
Visit site
OK, here's the first release of my WIP NES emulator:

fishyNES 0.01a

Needs a fair amount of work, but it's useable :)

Things it doesn't have but that will be added in the future:

Volume control (hopefully the default is OK for now)
Frame limiter
Frame skipping (locked at fs0)
Saving of any description
Button mapping

To get the emulator to run, copy the whole fishyNES folder to your SD card (includes the
skin directory). ROMs *must* (repeat, MUST) be in a directory called /mnt/sd/roms/nes and
have a .NES extension.

"B" chooses a ROM from the menu
"Select" on the menu screen quits the emulator
"L & R" in-game returns to the menu

Any suggestions (other than the ones I've listed above) are most welcome :)

Cheers.

one thing I noticed, if the file name is long it wraps around the screen and stays in the black part while playing, only got 48 FPS but only tried at 200 mhz

DemonStar55 posted on Mar 11 2006 at 08:14 PM said:
one thing I noticed, if the file name is long it wraps around the screen and stays in the black part while playing, only got 48 FPS but only tried at 200 mhz

Thanks :) The GUI was entirely coded during a couple of hours this afternoon, so it is a little ummm... unfinished ;)

I'm doing all my testing at 200MHz - overclocking for NES emulation really shouldn't be necessary. Plenty of optimisations to go yet though. I'll get onto them once I sort a few niggling problems out.

Last edited by a moderator:
yeah, I just shortened my filenames but it would be nice if you made x = a b = b a = a and y = b, unless you make a and y something else, asap, I know you plan on implimenting button mapping but this should be defauls. Runs fine at 266 mhz, 65 fps in Mario

EDIT: also there are numerous emus that use skin folder, be nice if you made your files in th skin folder start with something like fishy or something just incase another program has a file by the same name in the skin folder

DemonStar55 posted on Mar 11 2006 at 04:33 PM said:
yeah, I just shortened my filenames but it would be nice if you made x = a b = b a = a and y = b, unless you make a and y something else, asap, I know you plan on implimenting button mapping but this should be defauls. Runs fine at 266 mhz, 65 fps in Mario

Fishy, I hope you go for a button mapping option. A lot of people seem to like having X and A equal NES-a, and B and Y equal NES-b, which makes no sense to me. That is completely backwards from the layout of a real NES, and makes playing a game like Punchout a real pain in the ass. Personally I'd like to see 2x-A equal NES-b, and 2x-X equal NES-a, which is what I use for my PC nes emulators on PSX pad, so different strokes for different folks I guess.

mooseknuckle2000 posted on Mar 11 2006 at 04:31 PM said:
any idea why this doesn't work for me? I extracted all to root of sd and roms are in the sd/roms/nes dir. ?
EDIT: does it matter what fw I have?

He said:

To get the emulator to run, copy the whole fishyNES folder to your SD card (includes the
skin directory).

Nice work!

Good to hear some sound in mario, look forward to future releases...

my nes roms have always been in sd/roms/nes so I should be good there. Whether I copy the whole folder or just the .gpe and use ssnes' skin folder it doesn't load! I get a black flash and I'm back at the menu...wtf

no, the gpe and the skins folder should be in te root directory, not in the fishy one, I think, at least that's what I did
EDIT: like

/mnt/sd/fishynes.gpe
/mnt/sd/skin/
/mnt/sd/skin/background.*what ever extention it is*

and all roms ins /mnt/sd/roms/nes/ non-compressed so they have to end in .nes or .NES

I just tried on my other sd too. Something isn't working right. Are there any libs that need to be installed? The only ones I've installed are the ones that were needed when the first nes and snes (nk's) came out. Do I need to update?

DemonStar55 posted on Mar 11 2006 at 07:11 PM said:
no, the gpe and the skins folder should be in te root directory, not in the fishy one, I think, at least that's what I did
EDIT: like

/mnt/sd/fishynes.gpe
/mnt/sd/skin/
/mnt/sd/skin/background.*what ever extention it is*

and all roms ins /mnt/sd/roms/nes/ non-compressed so they have to end in .nes or .NES
yes mine is dumped in the root but I thought his was too.

I really dont know what to tell you mooseknuckle. maybe someone else can help.

Back