Release First Gmenu Pandora Preview

will someone take the initiative and make a post in News, please, so the discussion is focused?

Looks like Gmenu is finally on the Pandora, and appears to be using a wallpaper made by Nova.
Evil Dragon said:
What has been happening lately, you might ask...
Well, while craig and Michael have been organizing a lot (all the different parts have to be ordered from different companies and shipped to mass production), me and the devs have focused more on the default OS.
Ångström Linux is running very well already, with a lot of nice apps like Abiword, Pidgin, Gimp, ... Check out the Ångström site for information about what the distribution is all about and does feature.
I hope I can get the latest images soon, so I can show you some videos running.
In the meantime, I have a very very small video for you to show: The current, still early status of gmenu2x on the Pandora. Colors do look ugly at the moment, as the Kernel I have on my Pandora currently only supports 16bpp while gmenu expects 24bpp. The icons are still very small - but as you can see, it works!
On the video I move the pointer around with a USB mouse, clicking through various sections and finally starting PicoDrive Pandora!

Youtube Video

There's still stuff to do, but we're getting there.

http://openpandora.org/blog.php

Last edited by a moderator:
Perhaps you haven't noticed how few topics are in the News section. Perhaps you didn't notice "After approval". Perhaps you just didn't bother to look.

Edit: And let me be the last person to shoot myself in the foot to see the "New Topic" button in that forum. :(

I am so glad to see an update. Not to mention, the news that the Gimp, Pidgin, and Abiword already run on the Pandora. ^_^

-God Ginrai

AireTamStorm said:
Perhaps you haven't noticed how few topics are in the News section. Perhaps you didn't notice "After approval". Perhaps you just didn't bother to look.

Edit: And let me be the last person to shoot myself in the foot to see the "New Topic" button in that forum. :(
im not really sure if it goes there, but the topics there usually end up having centralized discussion instead of spread out everywhere.

PoisonedV said:
will someone take the initiative and make a post in News, please, so the discussion is focused?
Merged.

God Ginrai said:
I am so glad to see an update. Not to mention, the news that the Gimp, Pidgin, and Abiword already run on the Pandora. ^_^

-God Ginrai
+1

I'd love to have some news about the case as well...

I was always a big fan of Gmenu2X on the GP2X so to see Gmenu on the Pandora is really sweet :)

Looks great. 3 questions:

- Will Gmenu have plenty of customization options like other Linux GUIs (Gnome/KDE etc)?
- Is the bottom bar a taskbar?
- Could you show some of the other apps working, or is it too early for that?

I hope that the pointer only shows up when a mouse is plugged in.

Otherwise, awesome.

When everything else is done I suggest adding some effects: fading and blinking and flashing and a tiny little man to rearrange your icons.

May not be much, but I'm just glad to see something. :)

Question to those who know more about software development than I--should we be worried that the kernel still isn't finished?

Also, is Ryo working on gmenu pandora, or did someone else take it up?

Sweet! Thanks for the vid ED.

@naples39: I read that Ryo had some involvement, I'm not sure in what capacity.

@CoMike: There is a test release of Gmenu2x with touch support, I use it on my 2x.

Right ,the new video on the blog showing the Pandora os in action,but whats with the small video clip ???
don't really like the look of it for starters,yes i know theres much to be done but you would think it would be
in a more finished state than it currently is and i didn't realize it would be a Linux os in that it looks very much
like an actual Linux gui envoriment that is running ,i thought something more like psp with much more.

the video clip is seriously short and why even bother ,i mean for the time it takes to do a clip
and get it ready to post on the net you would think we would be seeing a wee bit more than 21 seconds.

not very happy with the complete lack of anything to show for my £200,yes i said it,i know many prolly
want to say it but too scared of the flames and general hate - i pay for a product and i was promised
plenty of vids and updates on whats going on but get 21 secs of crap.

not happy and i don't care what anyone else says.

merged with main topic.

Well if you expect PSP type of things then you should take your preorder money back. Pandora is meant to be 100% community driven and relies on that for all it's software. The author of menu you saw is from this community and not part of the dev team. In fact you can already try it if you have a GP2X. There is no 100-man full-time working team behind software, there will only be open source or community software on Pandora.

paddy said:
Right ,the new video on the blog showing the Pandora os in action,but whats with the small video clip ???
don't really like the look of it for starters,yes i know theres much to be done but you would think it would be
in a more finished state than it currently is and i didn't realize it would be a Linux os in that it looks very much
like an actual Linux gui envoriment that is running ,i thought something more like psp with much more.

the video clip is seriously short and why even bother ,i mean for the time it takes to do a clip
and get it ready to post on the net you would think we would be seeing a wee bit more than 21 seconds.

not very happy with the complete lack of anything to show for my £200,yes i said it,i know many prolly
want to say it but too scared of the flames and general hate - i pay for a product and i was promised
plenty of vids and updates on whats going on but get 21 secs of crap.

not happy and i don't care what anyone else says.

merged with main topic.
"small video clip"? what else is there to show you? it's the menu, it showed transitions and executing. obviously, there isn't much more to show, or at least anything polished enough.
what do you mean it looks like linux gui? linux have some of the most overall varied guis around, and gmenu isn't really reminiscent of any. its closer to most of the semi-underground handhelds and PDA's. if you want a psp, get a psp, not the pandora, I've already explained this to you.
"scared of the flames and general hate"
lol. from the recent semi troll topics that have been being posted, saying the exact same thing, most people took it pretty well.
you are right- you paid for a product. you didnt pay for a fucking press release.

you SHOULD care what other people say- you may just get a little knowledge into that dusty ol noggin of yours.

Gruso said:
Oh, Paddy. Such fire!
not only are we competing of the front of irrelevant inflammatory remarks, we are competing on the front of old guy avatars

Back