GP32 firmware related stuff should go to gp32x

notaz

Certified Guru
Website
notaz.gp2x.de
Just a note that if you have any kernel or low level firmware matters to discuss, do it on gp32x. 2 forums are too much for me and I won't be monitoring dev section here, only gp32x one.

That's fair enough IMO.

As I said on one of the other forums; keeping all the major dev stuff on the other forum makes sense as there are more people who can bug test or contribute to a project.

As most of the advanced devs tend to use IRC etc. for developing anyway, how about making these dev forums noob friendly with a sub forums for each programming language that the Pandora supports. Could be a good place to learn programming and support new programmers.

That would also have the added advantage of keeping GP32X clean of all the "How can I learn programming posts" :)

As most of the advanced devs tend to use IRC etc. for developing anyway, how about making these dev forums noob friendly with a sub forums for each programming language that the Pandora supports. Could be a good place to learn programming and support new programmers.

Somebody give trip a best post of the day award.

Support the bedroom programmers as much as possible, because 1/100 will code the next killer game for the platform.

Support the bedroom programmers as much as possible, because 1/100 will code the next killer game for the platform.
Exactly.

It could also be useful if Craig and co. decide to market the Pandora to schools and universities as a platform to learn programming on. It could host on-line lessons etc.

There are loads of new tools to teach people on-line and nearly all of them are open source or free to use :)

Just a note that if you have any kernel or low level firmware matters to discuss, do it on gp32x. 2 forums are too much for me and I won't be monitoring dev section here, only gp32x one.

hmm... okay. It is your decision.

I find it better, when you support us here, because this is the offical board and gp32x is a community board.

It doesn't really matter Joker.

ED will know when anything changes with the firmware etc. anyway and will post here so it won't make a great deal of difference.

EDIT: You need to remember that most of the devs are working on the Pandora in their spare time. It's their choice where to post stuff and if it's easier for Notaz to continue posting on GP32X, then fair enough. The less hassles he has the more work he gets done ;)

Last edited by a moderator:

This sounds good to me as I'm about to start learning :)

Trips's idea is a really good one. It really make sense to make this development subforum homebrew-friendly, with one section for Python & Pygame, another one for C, C++ & SDL, etc.

The level in of the previous forum's Dev section was so too high for mere mortals like me. This way it will be more easy to participate, and more useful for Pandora users. And there remains the gp32x development subforum for talking about kernels & stuff.

I love how this barely starting Pandora days remembers me more and more of the golden days in the 80's with all that magazines, sharing code, and computer experiments (in Spain we had the wonderful Microhobby).

Last edited by a moderator:
Excellent suggestions here, and I can't disagree with Notaz's decision at all - all good.

A how to guide to coding? It might work well, one step a day or until everyone has reached that step? Maybe ending in you making your own little program which runs on the Pandora?

I think that's a great idea! Should encourage those who didn't think they could program to actually make stuff, and it will give those who wanted to started the push they needed.

I love how this barely starting Pandora days remembers me more and more of the golden days in the 80's with all that magazines, sharing code, and computer experiments (in Spain we had the wonderful Microhobby).

Me too. Hanging around here (well, there) for the last couple of years has made me want to pick up programing where I left off in the 80's.

I've been putting off fully learning to program for years (since I was about 5 years old) and I'm hoping that the Pandora will give me the final push that I need to give it a proper go.

Writing a program on the Pandora, then running it straight on the Pandora as well will rock big time :D

It certainly will :D

I've got a way to go though, where I left off was Spectrum Basic and I don't even remember much of that. Got myself a Python book and I'm looking forward to starting as soon as I get back from holiday (no Pandora yet :( )

I've written programming tutorials before, but I'm not the kind of guy who starts off with "Let's write 'Hello, World!' to the terminal!" and goes on with "Let's draw a triangle!", because I don't think you learn much from that.

(I get questions like: "OK, so what's the command for printing 'Bye, World'?" or - less commonly: "OK, so what's the command for making WoW?")

I'm more like "This is what programming is all about ... this is how the machine works, simplified ... these are the tools you have available ... there are many paradigms available, you have to choose between abstraction and control ... this is how a game is generally structured ... this is how you write something that is fast, and this is how you write something that is failsafe, and this is how you write something with minimal resource consumption ... this is how you would make a declarative rendering framework/reactive server program/concurrent REST controller". So I focus on stuff that will actually be useful no matter what you choose to do or which language you use, and it will be up to you to actually do something concrete with it. This means that I often work in pseudocode, or in an abstract language like Haskell, or in e.g. C or Python or Java when I need imperative constructs.

If anyone would get anything out of me writing something like this, give me a shout. I probably would post it on a blog or something though; this forum is fairly limited as far as posting code examples goes etc.

That can also be a good way to learn.

Now that I know all the syntax for Python and how the language is structured, I've been thinking about writing a tutorial myself.

I was going to write it as if I was creating a programming language myself and exploring why Python (or any other language) was written the way it was. I tend to learn easier if I can see how and why things are the way they are.

Back