Finally Got My Gp32- And It Won't Turn On

mrdark

Ok, I FINALLY got my used system after 3 weeks, and I can't even get the thing to turn on.

It's used, I know, but the thing was packaged great, the seller threw in all kinds of accessories, he's been in contact with me the whole time, and he hasn't made any effort to rip me off. I'm trying to get a hold of him now, but I need some help...

I don't yet know if he cleared everything off the system before selling it to me, thus making it a clean slate, or if that even matters. All I know is that whether a SMC is in it or not, whether it's connected to the PC or not, clicking the power button over does not do anything. I don't get a light, nothing. Is there some procedure I'm supposed to do first?

Help!

Gee, you'd think that was obvious enough for me not to have to say I already DID.

Now, can anyone actually help?

mrdark posted on Oct 3 2005 at 11:09 PM said:
Ok, I FINALLY got my used system after 3 weeks, and I can't even get the thing to turn on.

It's used, I know, but the thing was packaged great, the seller threw in all kinds of accessories, he's been in contact with me the whole time, and he hasn't made any effort to rip me off. I'm trying to get a hold of him now, but I need some help...

I don't yet know if he cleared everything off the system before selling it to me, thus making it a clean slate, or if that even matters. All I know is that whether a SMC is in it or not, whether it's connected to the PC or not, clicking the power button over does not do anything. I don't get a light, nothing. Is there some procedure I'm supposed to do first?

Help!

Sounds like he sold you a dodgy unit. Even with no card inserted it should light up the LED and say "no SMC inserted" on the screen. Make sure your batteries have enough power in them. If they are weak at all it won't work.

If the batteries are charged then the unit is busted.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, Im just making sure, as there are some people in the world like that...
Ok, the GP32...
Try some fresh batteries, but first, make sure there is a card on it that was formatted by GAMEPARK Link (The software on the CD). Then it should boot up and show that there are no programs and shut off. Well, if that doesn't happen then I dont know, the guy must have given you a defective GP32, as that is where my knowledge ends.

PSyMastR posted on Oct 3 2005 at 11:16 PM said:
Well, Im just making sure, as there are some people in the world like that...
Ok, the GP32...
Try some fresh batteries, but first, make sure there is a card on it that was formatted by GAMEPARK Link (The software on the CD). Then it should boot up and show that there are no programs and shut off. Well, if that doesn't happen then I dont know, the guy must have given you a defective GP32, as that is where my knowledge ends.

You don't even need to do that. even with no card it should do like I said above.

[/quote]

Sounds like he sold you a dodgy unit. Even with no card inserted it should light up the LED and say "no SMC inserted" on the screen. Make sure your batteries have enough power in them. If they are weak at all it won't work.
[/quote]

I mean of course there's the possibility that he ripped me off, and that will be in the back of my mind. But lots of little things have shown that he doesn't SEEM to be ripping me off (such as refusing extra cash when a situation involving it came up). I'm not naive enough to think that stuff doesn't happen, but in this case I just don't get the feeling that that's what's going on.

But Dave, you're saying that, even if the system is brand new, it should start up right away whether cards have been formatted, or it's been connected to the PC, or anything like that?

I'll keep trying...

mrdark posted on Oct 3 2005 at 07:14 PM said:
Now, can anyone actually help?

OH DAMNNNN PSY!!! *dcgm snaps fingers like the retards in his grade does*

seriously dude: YOU'VE BEEN PWNED. i suggest getting in contact with him and if that gets u nowhere, time to call mr. bankeypoo and dispute the purchase

mrdark posted on Oct 3 2005 at 11:18 PM said:
But Dave, you're saying that, even if the system is brand new, it should start up right away whether cards have been formatted, or it's been connected to the PC, or anything like that?

I'll keep trying...

Yes that is what I am saying. The LED above the screen should at least light up with or without a card in it. You don't need to connect to a PC. You should even get the opening intro that says "GP32" Play - PC link, with a bouncing ball (if it hasn't been flashed to something else in that case you will get a different screen) and after you hit "a" it would say "no SMC inserted" unless of course you had one inserted then it would show what is on it.

If you don't even get the LED it is broke :(

God damn it, it looks like this might be the case. The thing was packed expertly, nothing was damaged, the guy threw in extra stuff, he doesn't have bad feedback, and we've talked several times a day for three weeks!!!!

If this is a ripoff, it's the strangest, most polite one I've ever been involved in.

God damn it!!!!

Everyone is telling me that, no matter what- card, no card, linked or not, even if I just bought it BRAND NEW and put in batteries without a game or connecting it or running ANY software, it would still turn on?

Fuck!

Don't assume you wers sold a lemon. If the seller is as good as you say it sounds like it got broken in the mail. Wouldn't be the first time.
Sorry dude, I know you've been looking forward to this, though I know you were unsure about getting the right handheld ever since you ordered it.
Maybe if you get refunded you can rethink your purchase.

Yes. You should at least get a red led showing up.

On the bright side, if you can get a refund, you can always get a GP2X/PSP instead.

Edit: Damn, got beaten :/ Hopefully it was insured in the post so the seller can get some money back from it as well.

FUCK!!!!

Yes, the seller has been really cool, so I don't know WHAT the hell happened. This was supposed to be a birthday present 3 weeks ago, and now nothing works. The box isn't even damaged, it was packed as if it were brand new! The guy insured it and listed it as "pristine" in his auction, full of links and pictures and detailed descriptions. He even had pictures that looked like HE was using it, so I can't understand it. Maybe it was ruined it transit like you said, but the thing was packed tight and nothing's even physically damaged! Damn it, damn it!!!

I'm supposed to be getting a red light right off the bat? Thanks for letting me know, because now I know then that the thing is fucked. That proof is what I needed.

the odds maybe small, but you could try and open up the gp32 and check the inside if any obvious damage can be found...
perhaps it's something simple that can be easily repaired...
you could also try an adapter instead of batteries, shouldn't make any difference, but if it does there's probably some wire loose or so...just make sure you got the right voltage and polarity...

Racemaniac posted on Oct 3 2005 at 03:53 PM said:
the odds maybe small, but you could try and open up the gp32 and check the inside if any obvious damage can be found...
perhaps it's something simple that can be easily repaired...
you could also try an adapter instead of batteries, shouldn't make any difference, but if it does there's probably some wire loose or so...just make sure you got the right voltage and polarity...

Thanks Race, that's acceptable advice, but In this case I'm just going to keep it intact so I can get my money back. Somehow, this thing must've been run under some kind of magnet or some harsh circumstance. I just don't get it, the guy's auction seemed pretty damn legit. Looked like it even had fresh photos of him actually using it, too.

Thanks for the advice everybody, and sorry for freaking out. I'm just real, REAL fucking pissed. A lot of you have seen that I've been really interested in this machine and really concerned about it breaking, or whether I made the right system choice, etc etc. Now after 3 weeks of this crap, the thing doesn't even work. Sigh.

I'm in talks with him now to just refund it, which is still lame, but if anything I can just get a different machine now I guess.

I'll work on that link in a bit, I'm talking to the guy now.

The GP32's are very picky on batteries. Be sure to buy brand new alkaline batteries of a name brand such as Duracell or Energizer and test it with that. Whether an SMC is in the unit ot not it will make no difference, the red led will light up and the screen willl say "No SMC inserted.".

Good luck with everything, and I'm sorry to hear about this happening to you :(

Back