File Recovery Software

geo12

Retrofuturist
Website
Visit site
My external hard drive failed (it's recognized by the computer but says it needs to be formatted), and I'm looking for software to try to recover the files. Recover My Files seems to be the popular one, but I'm not really willing to pay $70 for it <_< .

Does anyone know of any other good (and cheap) programs? Thanks in advance!

Roadkil's Unstoppable Copier is a really really good one.. I used it on some scratched up DVDs and worked pretty well. Got 80% of my stuff back..

But wait!!!! Try booting a linux live cd first and see if it is recognised there.. I've been using Vista and it completely mishandles one of my drives if its been plugged into Windows 2000 prior (e.g. when I'm at work). I've found having a linux live cd (in my case Mint or Fedora) does something to the drive and makes it recognisable again under Windows.

Thanks for the Linux suggestion. The drive seems to be fine with the Linux CD, all the files show up, but it's still not readable with Windows.
Anyone know of a way to repair something like that?

Edit: After some Googling, I think it could be a problem with the Master Boot Record. Though it seems like there's some risk in trying to repair it. Suggestions?

geo12 said:
Thanks for the Linux suggestion. The drive seems to be fine with the Linux CD, all the files show up, but it's still not readable with Windows.
Anyone know of a way to repair something like that?

Edit: After some Googling, I think it could be a problem with the Master Boot Record. Though it seems like there's some risk in trying to repair it. Suggestions?

I would try and offload what you can onto another HD using the linux cd before fiddling with the drive and reduce the risk. Also another trick for some reason is to use a usb cable that has two plugs on it and plug them both into your computer. This is just in case you're HD is starved of power for some reason or there is a break in the cable. Google "click of death" and see if that is affecting you too.

The MBR as far as I know doesn't affect the data on the drive, just how it boots - maybe try running the windows chkdsk utility on it to see if there are bad sectors. Messing with MBR is quite invasive though - be careful!! In my experience third party software is great at messing up drives like this.

Just remembered can you use WinXP cd to boot into cd and choose 'R' to repair and with any luck select the dodgy drive from here??

Last edited by a moderator:
The best advice so far is if you can see data with linux, grab it.

chkdsk can sometimes do odd things. You could try the seagate or hitachi hard disk testing tools to give the drive a good test before trying a repair.

A lot of good links here - some I knew, some I didn't. :)

If this is XP you could boot from the install CD and enter the rescue console. In the console you can use the command fixmbr to rewrite the mbr, if that's the problem. Backing up the data under Linux first sounds like a good idea, though.

Try to use stellar phoenix data recovery software it is costly but work great its cost around $99.
If you want free data recovery software then i advice you to don't do this because it might be harmful to your computer due to virus. So please make your mind and select the best software.

Cheers... :D

'cristy' said:
Try to use stellar phoenix data recovery software it is costly but work great its cost around $99.
If you want free data recovery software then i advice you to don't do this because it might be harmful to your computer due to virus. So please make your mind and select the best software.

Free software => virus?
Do you work for a software company or are you just very misinformed?

Most free software doesn't contain viruses, only the kind you find on dodgy warez sites... and malicious torrents.. etc..

'aaron11193' said:
'cristy' said:

Free software => virus?

Most free software doesn't contain viruses, only the kind you find on dodgy warez sites... and malicious torrents.. etc..Hmm <_< lets see.

newly registered ... only made one post.

... Must be a troll :p

'gp32rich' said:
'aaron11193' said:
'cristy' said:

Free software => virus?

Most free software doesn't contain viruses, only the kind you find on dodgy warez sites... and malicious torrents.. etc..Hmm <_< lets see.

newly registered ... only made one post.

... Must be a troll :p

Alliance or Rogue?
:p

Back