Few Questions Before Buying

Targus

Website
www.romnation.net
Hi, I hope this isn't a repeat question I did try searching the site and Google and couldn't find anything

My first question is that can Pandora run firefox? I see it could run Opera, But i really want the Ad block Plus plugin.
Also can the pandora run a media player that utilizes the Milkdrop visualizations kind of like Winamp.
Last question. can open office run on Open Pandora? I know it uses the ARM CPU so 86x Apps will not work but all the
software I want to use is open source So i didn't know if anyone tried it yet or not.

Targus said:
Hi, I hope this isn't a repeat question I did try searching the site and Google and couldn't find anything

My first question is that can Pandora run firefox? I see it could run Opera, But i really want the Ad block Plus plugin.
Also can the pandora run a media player that utilizes the Milkdrop visualizations kind of like Winamp.
Last question. can open office run on Open Pandora? I know it uses the ARM CPU so 86x Apps will not work but all the
software I want to use is open source So i didn't know if anyone tried it yet or not.
Check the first video for browser support. http://pandorapress.net/2010/08/24/official-blog-nubs-ready-to-be-tested-plus-two-tv-out-videos/

And yes open office is supported.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi, firefox 3.6.7 has been ported and works very well. I've used it with several add-ons like adblock+. Nobody has got opera running yet in a Pandora, and it must not be something easy to accomplish.

You also have several mediaplayers, like audacious which is winamp-like, and probably xmbc will be ported (but not soon, see [topic='53602']this topic[/topic]), which supports milkdrop visualizatons.

Openoffice I recall someone said has been ported but I've never used it. But it is too big to be used comfortably in the pandora, it was slow and needs too much memory. There are alternatives already included in the base system like abiword and gnumeric.

joseluisjazz said:
Hi, firefox 3.6.7 has been ported and works very well. I've used it with several add-ons like adblock+. Nobody has got opera running yet in a Pandora, and it must not be something easy to accomplish.

You also have several mediaplayers, like audacious which is winamp-like, and probably xmbc will be ported (but not soon, see [topic='53602']this topic[/topic]), which supports milkdrop visualizatons.

Openoffice I recall someone said has been ported but I've never used it. But it is too big to be used comfortably in the pandora, it was slow and needs too much memory. There are alternatives already included in the base system like abiword and gnumeric.
That's awesome thank you very much guys where can I get this software? is there a site that has them all categorized or do i need to search around?
Thanks again for the help thats amazing!

It's a little fragmented at the moment, as there are a few "main" places to look for software. Those are as follows;

Pandora Apps (This place is sometimes referred to as the "app-store".)
The OpenHandhelds File Archive
News Zone [Pandora]
And last of all, Beta Testing [Pandora (Obviously, the stuff here is not necessarily always going to be as stable as what you might find in the other locations.)
Also, some authors use their own web-space to host their software, although most often things get linked to in at least one of the above places anyway.

I hope this helps. :)

Note the aforementioned abiword and gnumeric are included in the base OS, so they won't be linked to on any of the links provided.

Opera is closed-source. If it runs on the pandora, it will be a general ARM Linux port or a licensed one to another ARM Linux device.

or the Opera Mini in java, which would be interesting to have. It consumes very little bandwith.

Back