Fennec

I'll check it out when I find some time to find out what could be wrong :)

You could try check the log of pnd_run.
It's in /var/log/pndrunxxx (change xxx to the PND)

II get the same problem too - error in log is: ./fennec: error while loading shared libraries: libmozalloc.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
app exited

I'm not surprised: I made the PND and have no idea what I'm doing. :p

I simply downloaded the binary from mozilla and stole the PXML file from the Wolf4SDL PND as a template, made an iso and catted the iso+pxml+png together.

I'm not sure why Craig uploaded it to the appstore, since I said when I posted it that I had no idea if it would work. Well, now I know. But I would like to know what I did wrong, so maybe I can make some proper PNDs in the future. This can be a learning experience for us all (or me, at least). It'll probably end up being something that makes me feel really stupid. :rolleyes:

EDIT: ninja'd. When I mount the iso, all the filenames are truncated to 8 characters. That appears to be what is causing the library not to be found. Can somebody explain to me why that happens and how I can fix it (if that is indeed the problem)? Thanks.

iampanis said:
EDIT: ninja'd. When I mount the iso, all the filenames are truncated to 8 characters. That appears to be what is causing the library not to be found. Can somebody explain to me why that happens and how I can fix it (if that is indeed the problem)? Thanks.
It's probably related to how you made the ISO image. See if you can find a way to specify ISO level 2, which allows for longer file names, or if you need e.g. upper case letters you can try enabling Joliet.

Last edited by a moderator:
iampanis said:
I'm not surprised: I made the PND and have no idea what I'm doing. :p

I simply downloaded the binary from mozilla and stole the PXML file from the Wolf4SDL PND as a template, made an iso and catted the iso+pxml+png together.

I'm not sure why Craig uploaded it to the appstore, since I said when I posted it that I had no idea if it would work. Well, now I know. But I would like to know what I did wrong, so maybe I can make some proper PNDs in the future. This can be a learning experience for us all (or me, at least). It'll probably end up being something that makes me feel really stupid. :rolleyes:

Fennec's already in the Angstrom repos, surely using that one would be a good idea?

Dead1nside said:
Fennec's already in the Angstrom repos, surely using that one would be a good idea?
Well, PNDs are the preferred method of installing software as they don't take up space on the NAND, and fennec is fairly large (~30MB). But it would indeed probably work fine.

^ You say you downloaded the binary from Mozilla, which binary? I only found the N900 fremantle version while doing a quick search. The Angström version from the feed or the openAOS version should work.

If you have Windows you can use ImgBurn to make PND files.

I have no idea what tools are available to do it properly in Linux.

Dead1nside said:
If you use the Ångström recipe as a template I'd recommend using the latest version from git. Koen updated it with my patch to build Fennec 1.1b1.
You may run into some compiliation problems, at least I had some problems with the linker not finding internal libraries at times when building the package for openAOS. Never found out why. :(

EvilDragon said:
Since you guys were asking for the mobile version of FireFox called Fennec, I created a nice PND-File for you.

fennec_pvw-0.jpg

It currently saves the profile on the NAND, didn't have time to fix it.
It's not been extensively tested (working on Pandora assembly, you know), but it starts and should work.
Enjoy :)

Download: Fennec 1.1 b1

I find this fennec interesting. For people who are able to test it onto the Pandora I would like to know how fast/good/stable does this Browser run, compared to other Browsers onto the Pandora? :)

iampanis said:
Dead1nside said:
Well, PNDs are the preferred method of installing software as they don't take up space on the NAND, and fennec is fairly large (~30MB). But it would indeed probably work fine.

Sorry, for my confusing post. I meant, perhaps you should package that one up as a PND instead.

Fennec should run pretty decent on the Pandora, it's a bit early in it's stages. I used it a bit on my N900 - it wasn't nearly as responsive as the MicroB browser that comes with the N900 but it's the next best thing. The latest experimental builds of it run much better than the stable, but don't have support for extensions like Adblock Plus.

Back