Fenix Questions

Shaun

Hi, you may have seen me on some of the main forums. I bought a GP2X and got it on Saturday, and I was a previous GP32 owner. I always was interested in Fenix but never ventured into it. I've made some previous games with Multimedia Fusion and I've always wanted to make a handheld game. The fact that I'm getting into pixel art now is another plus. But I'd like to know some things...

- Is Fenix suitable for most game types, including a side-scrolling shooter?

- How easy is it to use, and is there a programming language it could be compared to?

- What other platforms could I compile my games for?

I'm also a beginner with Visual Basic. I know it's not the most advanced language, but it's a start I guess. If you could get me started here I'd appreciate it. I just hope this is the right forum. ;)

I am not a programmer (though I know C & C#), nor have I started developing for the GP2X; however, I've done enough reading to know this:
  1. Is Fenix suitable for most game types, including a side-scrolling shooter?
    Yes. (assuming you aren't lumping something silly in there, such as FPS, which is a very common game-type these days)
  2. How easy is it to use, and is there a programming language it could be compared to?
    Supposedly the whole point is that it's easier for beginners. It can be compared to BASIC or Visual Basic, I believe.
  3. What other platforms could I compile my games for?
    With Fenix? I can't find the answer to that, but I did find the Fenix stuff in the archive and EvilDragon's Tutorial Chapter 2.

Last edited by a moderator:
I am not a programmer (though I know C & C#), nor have I started developing for the GP2X, however, I've done enough reading to know this:
  1. Is Fenix suitable for most game types, including a side-scrolling shooter?
    Yes. (assuming you aren't lumping something silly in there, such as FPS, which is a very common game-type these days)
  2. How easy is it to use, and is there a programming language it could be compared to?
    Supposedly the whole point is that it's easier for beginners. It can be compared to BASIC or Visual Basic, I believe.
  3. What other platforms could I compile my games for?
    With Fenix? I can't find the answer to that, but I did find the Fenix stuff in the archive and EvilDragon's Tutorial Chapter 2.
Yes, fenix is easier for things like that. It's quite simple to use but does contain a fair few bugs...

Like VB its a interpretive language. So basically the code isn't compiled to machine code. Its compiled to a binary which can be run using an interpreter on a myriad of platforms such as GP32, GP2x and DreamCast.

Thanks guys. I'm glad it's similar to Visual Basic. Those tutorials by EvilDragon are good, but aren't they designed for if you were to make games for the GP32?

sam fisher, correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't you contradicting yourself there? You say the code isn't compiled to machine code, but compiled to binary. But binary is machine code. And also, interpreted languages aren't compiled! :p But yeah, I see what you're saying.

In other words, the Fenix runtimes are needed to understand the Fenix programs, and with it being an interpreted language, it's on many more platforms, like the GP32, 2X, Dreamcast, or even Windows. I'm also interested if anyone knows of a tutorial designed for the 2X that will walk me through writing a very first Fenix game.

Thanks for your replies.

EDIT: By the way, the sprite on that avatar is made by me, and that's kind of why I said about a side-scrolling shooter. I've still got a lot of work to do with pixel art, but I believe if I learn Fenix I can bring some bright and colourful games to the GP2X.

You say the code isn't compiled to machine code, but compiled to binary. But binary is machine code. And also, interpreted languages aren't compiled! :p But yeah, I see what you're saying.
I may be wrong, but Fenix compiles a small .dcb file that is in turn interpreted on the 32/2X by the Fenix runtime. It's not machine code, it's "fenix-binary" code.

- Alex

Right! Now it makes sense.

Edit: Haha, I just saw there's a Fenix forum. Any moderator, move this if you can. Thanks.

Back