Feature voting page

jontheramer2

Is there any feature voting page? I find it very hard to find if features were mentioned in the forum and i'm sure most of the stuff which is going into the Pyra has already been decided and is set in stone by now, but still, it might be handy? 

Anyway; not sure if it was named or not before, I really would be completely content if we could have micro USB charging instead of some proprietary cable. It drives me completely bonkers taking an extra cable with transformer in my travel bag...... 

There's no votes that go into the Pyra.  The community is making polls we can all vote on, but ED and the gang are free to listen to or ignore the opinions as they wish, which is fine by me as I trust them and know they know more about the situation than we do.

FWIW, you could probably find out the charging specs on the pandora wiki, or on the Pandora Live blog, or even wikipedia possibly, but I'll leave finding the links to those to the interested parties.

Thanks! I found this page http://www.pyra-handheld.com/specs.html and it says micro USB Debug & Charging, but the Pandora said that too and it can only be used to charge other things with? So this means I can charge the Pyra with micro USB? That would be excellent as that would mean infinite battery life using external batteries I carry always anyway. 

You can actually charge the Pandora via the mini USB port, so I don't know why you say that wasn't possible.
I haven't actually seen any other way to charge the Pyra on the PCB photos yet, so microUSB seems like the way to go here.

The Pandora had one miniUSB port:

It can act as a host or a slave, providing or accepting power in each case respectively

The Pyra will have two microUSB ports:

One will be much like the pandora' miniUSB port, being a host or slave, providing power or accepting power

The other will only be able to accept power, and will provide a serial console to an external computer for debugging

Both devices also have full size USBhost port(s), which are entirely separate

My eyes can't stop seeing the word "vomiting" in this headline. It makes for interesting mental imagery,
Same here...

One of my websites is called vomiting* though ... what's your excuse? :)

I hereby request full size joysticks instead of nubs (using some sort of magic) and a pair of HD pico projectors pointing out of the back that project 1080p in full 3D.

Also it should be able to print paper currency, because I never have enough.

I have one of those already.  Though I do want a security system that explodes the Pyra with the force of TNT if the wrong password is entered 3 times.

In seriousness though, I wouldn't mind a Kensington Lock or other kind of laptop lock that I could attach.  My Pandora was stolen from me, and I intend to be much more paranoid about my Pyra if I manage to afford one.

I have one of those already.  Though I do want a security system that explodes the Pyra with the force of TNT if the wrong password is entered 3 times.

In seriousness though, I wouldn't mind a Kensington Lock or other kind of laptop lock that I could attach.  My Pandora was stolen from me, and I intend to be much more paranoid about my Pyra if I manage to afford one.
Probably it would add more security if you just used some location tracking service... should be trivial to write, just add a script on the Pandora which waits for incoming SMS, if one says "request_position someLongAndSecurePassword-feawhg4t" it fires up the GPS and replies with the coordinates once it has them.Very few thieves would find out how to remove something like this before you get the chance to use it.

Using the GPS is pretty much the first thing I thought of, as my phone has similar software, and while I will definitely be implementing something for that, too, my main goal is to make it as difficult to steal as possible.  I'm thinking like one of those wallet chains to the belt loop, attached to the Pandora, for when it's on me, and locked to something secure when it isn't.

Very few thieves would find out how to remove something like this before you get the chance to use it.
Implementing security by obscurity is rarely the best idea, and especially not when you're developing the idea on a public forum. But some sort of password check (or better still, some public key, although I'm not sure how likely I am to remember one of those, or be able to type it in to a SMS very easily) added should make it much harder to break.

Very few thieves would find out how to remove something like this before you get the chance to use it.
Implementing security by obscurity is rarely the best idea, and especially not when you're developing the idea on a public forum. But some sort of password check (or better still, some public key, although I'm not sure how likely I am to remember one of those, or be able to type it in to a SMS very easily) added should make it much harder to break.
I think it is safe to assume the average pocket thieve won't know1. What the Pandora is

1.1 How to reflash it

1.2 That there is a GPS and GSM unit in there

1.3 That there was public discussion about a tracking app

1.4 How to find said tracking app

1.5 How to remove said app

1.6 etc

True, but it's not just about the pickpocket. What if someone discovers the phone number of someone with a pyra, they could then use a bulk SMS service to cause the user's device to burn rapidly through their phone credit or contract SMS allowance i.e. invoke a DOS attack.

True, but it's not just about the pickpocket. What if someone discovers the phone number of someone with a pyra, they could then use a bulk SMS service to cause the user's device to burn rapidly through their phone credit or contract SMS allowance i.e. invoke a DOS attack.
 Relevant part highlighted:

... waits for incoming SMS, if one says "request_position someLongAndSecurePassword-feawhg4t" it ...
Obviously to be replaced with something user specified. That's hardly security by obscurity, that's security by password. Good enough.

Back