Faulty Cradle?

iluvhockey

Still Fresh
I bought a cradle from Ebay. It can output to TV but I cannot consistantly get the USB ports to recognize my joypads. With the old breakout board I have no problems using the USB ports in mame4all. Anyone else have this problem?

I bought a cradle from Ebay. It can output to TV but I cannot consistantly get the USB ports to recognize my joypads. With the old breakout board I have no problems using the USB ports in mame4all. Anyone else have this problem?
I've not had this problem, does the USB ports on your recent cradle purchase seem loose compared to your old breakout board? What firmware do you have on your GP2X and what's the make of your joypads?
Would like to see if anyone else with the same joypad have any issues. :unsure:

Last edited by a moderator:
I haven't had this issue either, or heard of it. I'm interested in hearing answers to Tag5's questions, as well as:

- Is the red LED on the cradle lit constantly?
- Are the green port LEDs lit/unlit consistent with when the devices aren't being recognised?

Hello,
Are you powering the cradle with an external power source or just relying on the GP2x's power?
With TV out and more than one controller you might be exceeding the amount of power that the gp2x provides which might result in your controllers switching on and off randomly.
I can get tv out with one controller no problems with a power adapter plugged into the gp2x. It does not always work with batteries (rechargeables)

There is a huge difference between 1st generation Gp2x's, second batch Gp2x's (f100) and f200's.

The GP2X Interface board extends your GP2X with new interfaces for different purposes. The Developer's Version comes as a motherboard only, without any housing. It is targetted at developers. Besides the connectivity to a TV and amplifier, it offers useful functionality for debugging and firmware upgrades/recovery. The USB ports allow you to hook up any USB device, from HDDs to Joysticks as long as drivers can be obtained.

Upon Gamepark Holding's recommendations, the Developer's Version of the board is aimed at professionals only.

Caution:
Whenever you connect GP2X to Interface board, be sure to connect external adaptor to GP2X.

* In case of 1st and second batch GP2X, you should always connect external regulated DC3V adaptor to Interface board.
* In case of 3rd batch GP2X, you need to connect external adaptors only when you use high-power devices like HDD.
* Whenever connecting external regulated DC3V adaptor to Interface board, be sure to turn off GP2X. In case you turn on Interface board after booting GP2X, Interface board will not operate normally due to improper initialization.

I've not had this problem, does the USB ports on your recent cradle purchase seem loose compared to your old breakout board? What firmware do you have on your GP2X and what's the make of your joypads?
Would like to see if anyone else with the same joypad have any issues. :unsure:
I am using a center pin 5Volt PS with 2.0 amps to power the cradle and the offical GPH 3.0 volt 3.0 amp PS for the GP2x. I tried the cradle with my MK I and MK II GP2X.

USB ports are good solid. The red light is on all the time. However it is really flaky on getting the green light over the USB ports. Sometimes they are on, sometimes they cycle. not a problem on the old brake-out board. On the old board it will recognize my logitech, microsoft sidewinder and even my Saulabi 4K Arcade Stick on mame and picodrive. I have intermittent luck on the cradle, everytime it is something different, very glitchy. Video out is fine.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hmm, sounds like you might have a bad cradle then. :(

Perhaps a silly request - can you try it without the cradle PS plugged in, just the GP2X PS? (ie., with the cradle getting power only from the EXT port). That's how I've always run mine.

I think I fixed it. My GP2xs were running firmware 2.0. I upgraded to 4.0 and the cradle works fine except the 1st usb port now. The usb ports 2,3 and 4 are now consistently working with firmware 4.0. What firemware are you guys using 3.0?

Originally 4.0.0, now Open2x DR7. The latter is fantastic for USB functionality, particularly for activating host mode on boot.

You can also use a USB gamepad as a full replacement for the GP2X controls, in menus and everything. I love sitting my GP2X in the cradle and controlling it with a SNES pad.

Back