Expectations and desires for a Pandora successor.

Mr_Loon

Can't Remember
Hi ED,

It's great to hear that there are definite plans for a Pandora successor and also great to see that you have created a real sense of community involvement as to how that once mythical beast will be designed / specified.

However it's rather hard to offer good advice without understanding broadly what you'd like to see in terms of unit sales for P2.

For example if your goal / desire is to sell 10,000 units over 5 years then a totally different set of design / specification / marketing choices should be made compared to your goal being to sell 200,000 units over 2 years.

The conventional expectation would be to aim for maximum sales, & make a pile of money for you and your investors on the way.

However the conventional goal of maximising sales would probably mean you giving up the day job, taking on full time staff, an increase in R&D / sales / marketing budgets, having to find 25 hours in the day just to answer your emails etc.

There is no right and wrong answer for this, it's your life, your time & largely your money that will be going into the project, but it would be most helpful for those trying to help you if you could give a broad picture of what you'd like to see in terms of total unit sales and the expected lifetime of Pandora's successor.

Good luck & thanks again for keeping the dream alive :)

I'd love to see the Pandora become more mainstream... It's very possible if the price is right

I own a PSP/DS/3DS and other portables but I haven't touched any of them since I've recieved my Pandora!

The major factor stopping the unit being really popular is the software polish.. We need to work on a single standard of the hotkeys, guis, paths for roms.. make it user friendly and idiot proof.. PNDs are amazing and a great start

Last edited by a moderator:
I'd love to see the Pandora become more mainstream... It's very possible if the price is right
Unlikely just because of one thing : supply. If you go mainstream you need to ship thousands of units every week, not a hundred. It's whole different scale of business, and ED would need to hire employees, secure supply from another manufacturer and so on. I'm pretty sure it will be MORE successful than the previous Pandora, but mainstream is a totally different thing.

The P2 as a Gaming - Linux UMPC is never going to be mainstream no matter what , especially at ~$600.  Whatever you do to that base feature set will only mean trying to improve sales from the abysmal sales rate the P1 has at the moment , what is it ,12/week or 624/year,  to something that might return a small profit.  

Ed has an investment debt of about $310,000 from memory (might be Euro), a big chunk went to setting the production up with GC to have the P1  produced. I think ED said they can do 250-500 a day. If he were to make $100 profit on each P2, then he would need to sell 3,100 just to clear the P1 investment debt not including interest owed. Which would be about 60/week in a calendar year.  He would be hoping the P2 sells maybe up to 8,000 / year would be my guess - that's going to be a challenge to get to. The issue in my opinion is not one of possibly selling to many , , the risk is selling enough to get anywhere near say 8,000 .  

Expectations:

- New or strongly modified GBA-Emu, which finally lets me play Mario & Luigi further, allows the real final boss of Castlevania (had to transfer my safestate to PC and beat him there, after finding everything in the game and getting to him, although that was on Caanoo, I imagine, that it was due to gPSP), plays Banjo & Kazooie, etc...

- Dreamcast at least long term if not from the beginning

- even more smooth h264 playback

- another resolution jump in PCSXreARMed and maybe custom shaders

- N64 on the same level as PSX is now

- More fluent PPSSPP

Desires:

- fluent "Tux Guitar" or other stuff to compose sheet music easily and has midi, maybe eben supports gp5 files

- PCSX2

I don't dare to hope for Dolphin.

Expectations:

Desires:

I guess the original intention was to find out more about Eds personal expectations and desires, not those of the community (hence it was placed in the "Ask Ed" section, not in the "P2 Spam" section, probably missed that)

@Klumpen, ShleeDragon, vcoleiro & ekianjo : Do you rememeber how the "Ask Ed a question" section should work ?

Edit: that's already what's thatguy was saying. Sorry :(

I wonder if "Ask EvilDragon Questions" could be a different color like red.  As it stands now, I never ever notice the section against the much bigger thread titles listed in the New Content page.

I dont expekt the Pandora 2 to have "PS2" Emu, as this will need a "NASA PC", but Dreamcast, and the ability to run all DS Games (my CC have some Problems whit 3D DS Games like GTA Chinatown Wars, and the 2 Zelda Games), and a N64 Emu which runs like the PSX Emu on the Pandora 1 , 

And some Musik Programms would be quite nice, i wants to have a "Rackarak" Port, so i can use the P2 as a Amp for my Acousik Bass Guitar and my Elektrik-Guitar,

And Tuxmusik etc..

Expectations: [blablabla]
Klumpen, read the sections title, damn it!

@Klumpen, ShleeDragon, vcoleiro & ekianjo : Do you rememeber how the "Ask Ed a question" section should work ?

Edit: that's already what's thatguy was saying. Sorry :(
sebt3, read previous posts carefully. ^^

I dont expekt the Pandora 2 to have "PS2" Emu, as this will need a "NASA PC", but Dreamcast, and the ability to run all DS Games (my CC have some Problems whit 3D DS Games like GTA Chinatown Wars, and the 2 Zelda Games), and a N64 Emu which runs like the PSX Emu on the Pandora 1 , 

And some Musik Programms would be quite nice, i wants to have a "Rackarak" Port, so i can use the P2 as a Amp for my Acousik Bass Guitar and my Elektrik-Guitar,

And Tuxmusik etc..
Matze, read the whole thread. ;)

Back