1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Dismiss Notice

ExaGear with GL Passthrough OSImage?

Discussion in 'Support Area' started by PokeParadox, Mar 22, 2017.

1. PokeParadox

PokeParadox Founder of Pirate Games - Penjin Coder Staff Member

Could someone that has had more success with ExaGear than I obviously have provide an Os image with it pre installed for SD card? Ideally with steam Linux and GL pass through setup.

I ran someone's script that sim links it to a folder on SD but that was giving me a lockup on login after installing things via apt.

I want to play about with this more but can't seam to get anywhere :(

Tags:
  2. Linux-SWAT

Linux-SWAT Advanced Member

I'm not convinced that redistribution is permitted.

3. PokeParadox

Ack... OK didn't check the terms but thought it may be OK since you have to activate your license...

4. Linux-SWAT

Does the ExaGear open source license mix well with GPL (re)distribution ? Sounds like no as it's not open source. And ExaGear's not a simple firmware blob.
    I had a discussion with ED about it, our opinions differ.

5. PokeParadox

I don't know. I honestly didn't check licensing, I was just looking for a bit of help...
    OK... if a premade image can't be done, could anyone give me a step-by-step on how to get things setup in a fresh slackware install?
    (I'm a bit loathed to try again with SuperZaxxon as I seem to end up getting stuck on login screen even though setup seems to go smoothly...)

6. TeDaDeS

TeDaDeS Very Active Member

Maybe ED could sell the exagear license with the Pyra and have it preinstalled.

7. Linux-SWAT

You can't package and distribute non-free + GPL.

8. lunixbochs

lunixbochs Moderator Staff Member

It's not that simple.

https://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl-faq.en.html#MereAggregation
    Aside from kernel components, the Pyra OS should not be required under the GPL to distribute source for all userspace components unless those components are directly linked to non-exempt GPL components. I'd point at VMWare as an equivalent example of running Linux in a proprietary emulator (with the primary difference being: Exagear is between the program and the kernel instead of the kernel and the hardware). See also Android, and wireless router GPL firmware releases which contain GPL source plus binary blobs.

_jr_ likes this.