Essential Questions: Emulators, Screen, Wi-Fi ?!

Tunee

Still Fresh
As my wiz is damaged (I hope it gets fixed soon) I finally thought about ordering a white Canoo..
so I have a few questions I hope someone can help me out with:

1. I love the Wiz' OLED-Display, is the new LCD as sucky as the Dingoo's?

2. Would somebody be so kind to list all emulators are out there and how smooth they do run?

3. I heard the screen is hiding some pixels on the upper screen, is this a serious issue (heard somebody claim Indy 3 on Scumm is not playable)?

4. What about Wi-Fi? Is this a bulky dongle or how does it look like? Are there other games / emulators besides the original GPH games which support it?

I really hope somebody finds the time to help me out :)

Regards!

Buy another wiz, and leave caanoo... Caanoo is missing a lot of wiz's emulators and also the released emulators aren't not so good (apart from picodrive)...

vEGA-rJ said:
Buy another wiz, and leave caanoo... Caanoo is missing a lot of wiz's emulators and also the released emulators aren't not so good (apart from picodrive)...

no need to work on them anymore then i guess :p

Last edited by a moderator:
oh..ok then.
My wiz is covered by guarantee i think, it's just that i thought this coulb be kind of a an update.
tx anyway :)

jlenoconel said:
So, was it a mistake that I bought the Caanoo then!?!?

I think he was joking, just give it time, the wiz took a year+ to get where it's at, being here only a few months things have vastly gotten better.

Tunee said:
1. I love the Wiz' OLED-Display, is the new LCD as sucky as the Dingoo's?

I don't have a Dingoo to compare with. Others have suggested the screen is not as nice as the one on the Wiz, albeit not bad.

Tunee said:
2. Would somebody be so kind to list all emulators are out there and how smooth they do run?

Check out openhandhelds.org for a complete list. I have not tested them all. PicoDrive works really well and 2D titles seem to work fine in PCSX4ALL.

Tunee said:
3. I heard the screen is hiding some pixels on the upper screen, is this a serious issue (heard somebody claim Indy 3 on Scumm is not playable)?

It's kinda regretable. Hasn't been a serious issue for me yet (you can tilt the device to see the rest of the screen), but it's obviously not preferable.

Tunee said:
4. What about Wi-Fi? Is this a bulky dongle or how does it look like? Are there other games / emulators besides the original GPH games which support it?

The official dongle is the size of a normal USB stick. One could get a smaller one working if one had one and was so inclined. Not aware of many network-capable games... Quake? The Mana World?

vEGA-rJ said:
What a stupid response. The emulators on the CAANOO are getting better everyday and new ports as well. The screen on the caanoo is bigger and looks very nice. The WIZ is small has crappy controls and the screen as beautiful as it is is prone to rot and burnin. I have had to send mine back twice. The emulators are very nice and a lot are coming down the pipe. The touch screen on the caanoo is better as well and usb and keyboard support in games is awesome as well.

Caanoo is suprisingly well put together.
The build quality is very high, with the screen bezel being the only obvious oversight (I rarely notice it and with a slight tilt you can see the obscured pixels anyway).

Once the software library has similar diversity and polish as Wiz (or GP2X) it will no doubt fully replace my trusty ole' f100.

Well I would recommend buying a third-party dongle.
You can use Wi-Fi with the web browser, not much functionality besides that.
What is cool is the TV-Out, you can emulate on your TV and hook up multiple USB controllers with a hub to play in multiplayer mode; not all controllers work though (only the ones that support Linux off course).

Back