Erk, Nub Problem

Prometheus

This is rather blah.

I noticed today that the left nub on my Pandora seems to have become a bit looser. "Fine,", I thought, "It's just because I've been using it.". However, I am now noticing a problem with it - it's not springing back to the centre anymore, and it isn't responding to directions properly a lot of the time - for example, if I push it right, it will go up, or if I push it down and to the right, it will go up and to the right.

If I move it in a circle, sometimes it feels as though there's something clunky (like a spring, maybe? I don't know) "underneath" the middle of the nub (or sometimes in one of the corners, usually the upper left or lower left), preventing it from sitting in that spot. The thumb-disc will sometimes stick in a direction, again not springing back to the centre.

Sometimes it's also flying off in random directions when I've pushed it, and sometimes won't stop until I painstakingly manually return the nub to the centre. Of course, it then does the same all over again when I touch it again. When it's doing this, sometimes it will ignore certain directions entirely (usually down, so it will get stuck at the top of the screen, but it will also sometimes ignore left).

Calibrating it does not help - it won't go back to the centre.

I've been using my Pandora every day since I got it, and all I have done with this nub is use it for mousing. On most days, I've moved it in circles a few times prior to mousing with it, because this has often worked better for me than the up-centre-down-centre-left-centre-right-centre calibration raindance. :p

I'm (needlessly) concerned that this is somehow something I've done, in spite of the fact that I am very careful with my things. Is the nub faulty? Or could a bit of grit or something somehow have gotten underneath the thumb-disc?

What can I do - any suggestions? Or do I have to send my already-beloved Pandora back for a repair? :(

Prometheus said:
If I move it in a circle, sometimes it feels as though there's something clunky (like a spring, maybe? I don't know) "underneath" the middle of the nub (or sometimes in one of the corners, usually the upper left or lower left), preventing it from sitting in that spot. The thumb-disc will sometimes stick in a direction, again not springing back to the centre.

my left nub does this too occasionally in the lower right corner, but i havent noticed it misbehaving aside from this. doesnt help you i guess, just thought id mention it...

Last edited by a moderator:
gibberish said:
my left nub does this too occasionally in the lower right corner, but i havent noticed it misbehaving aside from this. doesnt help you i guess, just thought id mention it...
This reminds me that, from day one, mine made a sharp little "crunchy" sound when moving and/or passing over the lower left hand corner most times (I just thought it was a creak due to it being new, to be honest, hence why my review never mentioned it). It now feels almost as if there was something there that's now gone on the move, or something - although why that would cause the nub to stick all the way over in a direction, and also sometimes not move fully in a direction, I don't know.

That's what I'm thinking, sadly - I mean, when it sticks, it's like I'm holding it there even though I have my hands nowhere near it. However, I want to be sure and wait for a reply from the team about it first, *just in case*.

if this makes any difference i got my new pandora today and after installing the new hotfix 2 both nubs didnt work at all,they were going crazy and calibration didnt work,a reboot worked tho,when did you install hotfix 2.

I installed Hotfix 2 yesterday, and have rebooted several times since (I shut it down when I finish using it :p ) - the nubs have behaved fine, until this physical issue cropped up, though. However, I don't see how that would cause the obvious hardware issue of the physical nubs being "held" in place by an invisible force. :(

on my old unit my right nub felt gritty at the top half,i think you explain a simular type of thing ,but i know what you mean by your description,it does sound like it is damaged its just that well with that hotfix messing up these nubs good style i thought i would ask.

hope you get it sorted asap :)

It's always good to cover all bases, so I'm glad you brought it up and it got covered. :D

And thanks. I've been buying from Craig since 2003 or so, and him, Jacquelyn, and Debs have always sorted things out if there's ever been a problem, so I'm sure it will be set right promptly. :) (I'm just sort of waiting for a response here before shooting them an e-mail. :lol: )

EDIT: It just occurred to me to provide a photograph of what I'm talking about. Here it is;

Nub_Problem.png

As you can see, it's staying in place even though both of my hands were on the camera. I also forgot to mention that it doesn't go all the way to the top like the right-hand nub does - it seems to get "blocked" from doing so a little over halfway to the top.

EDIT 2: I've sent an e-mail. I doubt this nub is anything other than faulty, unfortunately.

EDIT 3: I've been instructed to return it - they'll sort it out for me. :)

Prometheus said:
gibberish said:
my left nub does this too occasionally in the lower right corner
This reminds me that, from day one, mine made a sharp little "crunchy" sound when moving and/or passing over the lower left hand corner

I'm sure it's stating the obvious, but since the board populating factory also attaches the nubs, it'd probably be wise for them to isolate (for further inspection at least) any nubs that have this rough sensation before mounting them, to save a lot of expense down the line...

Same thing happened to mine, only possibly worse.

By left nub now won't move/respond or whatever. It is simulatenously too loose in the centre and very stiff on the outer edges. Several reboots, blah blah... the nub just won't respond and I consider it totally screwed.

Ah well, I needed to send it back cause of the shoulder button anyway!

Prometheus and myself are both heavy users of nub-mouse mode, so maybe that had some kind of impact?

Going by this, it may be possible that the mousing may just be coincidence, SomeGuy.

There were comments in the one nub club thread stating that you might try blasting some canned air in the gap at the center of the nub to dislodge plastic particles or mold flash which may be caught up in there.

Link:My link

Thanks, but this was not a one-nub-club unit. I've been instructed to return it. :p

Damn, that's harsh, It could be worth giving it a try with compressed air first, of course it's up to you though :) just maybe worth a go to save you having to be without it.

I'd try anything to save sending it back, apart from opening it...... maybe :lol:

I don't have any compressed air, and moreover, it's already boxed up. To be honest, and I don't say things like this often, I feel like I shouldn't have to. :p The unit was working perfectly until this occurred - it was less than a week old. I can understand that approach if I've had it for years, or if I'd gone for one of the units where the nub was explicitly said to be non-functional, but that isn't the case with this one.

I don't quite see what good it would do for the sudden lack of spring, or the going-up-when-right-is-pressed and so on, I must be honest. :p

I really would like to know what's up with the nubs. Someone must have opened one up by now, I'm sure. Infos are a bit thin at the moment.

Yeah I do agree with you Prometheus, I'm sure it will be resolved quickly, fingers crossed for you, :p

I wouldn't mind knowing too Mali, maybe there is things we should avoid doing or things to look out for.

Only time I will be opening it up is if it breaks

From what I could see on the production line, there isn't much to see of the nubs you can't really see much more than you can from the outside of the case

Prometheus said:
This is rather blah.

I noticed today that the left nub on my Pandora seems to have become a bit looser. "Fine,", I thought, "It's just because I've been using it.". However, I am now noticing a problem with it - it's not springing back to the centre anymore, and it isn't responding to directions properly a lot of the time - for example, if I push it right, it will go up, or if I push it down and to the right, it will go up and to the right.

Sometimes it's also flying off in random directions when I've pushed it, and sometimes won't stop until I painstakingly manually return the nub to the centre. Of course, it then does the same all over again when I touch it again. When it's doing this, sometimes it will ignore certain directions entirely (usually down, so it will get stuck at the top of the screen, but it will also sometimes ignore left).

Calibrating it does not help - it won't go back to the centre.

I've been using my Pandora every day since I got it, and all I have done with this nub is use it for mousing. On most days, I've moved it in circles a few times prior to mousing with it, because this has often worked better for me than the up-centre-down-centre-left-centre-right-centre calibration raindance. :p

I'm (needlessly) concerned that this is somehow something I've done, in spite of the fact that I am very careful with my things. Is the nub faulty? Or could a bit of grit or something somehow have gotten underneath the thumb-disc?

What can I do - any suggestions? Or do I have to send my already-beloved Pandora back for a repair? :(

Ahh shit, my left nub has just started doing the exact same now! I was blowing some compressed air at it to remove any plastic/dust particles that could be inside, and after twirling the nub around a bit I noticed it doesn't center anymore! :(

It was working perfectly fine before too! :( It's like the spring or whatever it used to center it has stopped doing its job.

What can I do? :(

Sorry to hear, MDave :(
I think we need an open discussion about the nubs. Someone from the team must have opened a nub by now to check what is causing this.

Back