Ergonomic Keyboards

TheMinder

My favoured Microsoft keyboard at work semi-died the other week and I ended up using a cheapo Compaq one that was giving me a bit of grief in the old hands so I decided to try out a Microsoft Ergonomic keyboard and have started using it today.

I read online that it takes people a while to get used to them sometimes and I was wondering if anyone with RSI (or not) have noticed any benefits from using one.

I'm not usually a touch typist, more your traditional long-term-PC-user-few-finger-fast(ish) type but I've noticed already that this seems to have magically given me far better touch typing skills than I thought I had.

Anyone any experience of them, good or bad ?

Yes of course a good keyboard does all the magic.
I wouldn't use a laptop keyboard no more.
Never used an ergonomic one, but it should be good.
MS keyboards tends to be very nice.

I have a Logitech MX3000 wireless keyboard, and while not strictly speaking 'ergonomic' I find it very comfortable to use on my lap - useful to type at any angle you want away from the PC. I think it would take me a long time getting used to a split keyboard! - good luck.

BTW median nerve decompressions have over 90% success for carpal tunnel syndrome which is often the issue instead of 'RSI' - if you have ongoing problems, check with your doctor. A neurologist and nerve conduction studies can diagnose this if required.

Back