Enquiries On Gp2x

Barc

Still Fresh
Hello, I'm rather new to this GP2X scene.

Was about to order one from playasia for christmas but just wanna clear some doubts on this emulation handheld.

I've read some posts on this forum and had some questions.

1) Does GP2X work with SD cards with storage space above 2GB (ex. 4GB)?
2) Is it able to work with mini SD cards (with the SD card adapter) as well?
3) Does it comes with a overclocking tool or we'll have to source one for ourselves?
4) Are the emulators able to run most games at full speed with sound? Or I'll have to wait for future releases?
5) How is the clarity of the pictures while playing videos using the TV-Out connector cable? Good as a DVD player?
6) Any boards/sites/forums to recommend on more info on GP2X?

I guess that's all for today.

Thanks for your time. :D

1) Yes
2) I have no idea, my guess is no.
3) All the software for the gp2x is on the archive, so is an overclocking tool.
4) MegaDrive, Master System, Nes, Gameboy and GBC, Neogeo, PCengine are all pretty much fullspeed. Snes is getting there. Older systems like spectrum and C64 are pretty much fullspeed too. Amiga isn`t so easy to emulate and is only in parts fullspeed.
5) The clarity is excellent. I think it is comparable to DVD quality, depends on the video you are watching ofcourse.
6) This is the largest community for the gp2x in english. There is a german board and a korean board too. Also the spanish community is huge. I assume you will want the english boards though.

You are welcome.

wow. thanks for the reply.

This is great. Overclocking tool is official. Cool.

I guess it's pretty decent since from what you've mentioned, quite a number of the emulated games are running close to full speed.

So this is the largest community in english. Guess I'll be hanging around here then.

One more question.

Does GP2X has multiplayer capabilities? Be it on cable/wireless.
Since I didn't see cables used to connect 2 GP2X units together on playasia.com, I'm starting to assume that wireless might be used.

Thanks again.

Actually you will be disappointed here. The gp2x has no multiplayer capabilities. It is ofcourse possible to hack around with an SDIO WiFi adapter or use USB networking, but no programs have really been tested with this nor have any been designed as multiplayer games. People have been browsing the internet with their gp2xs, it`s possible but hard to do. The problem is that so few people own a gp2x that GPH decided not to go for multiplayer support as with the gp32 almost noone ever used their RF units (well ofcourse a lot of people did, but not enough to be profitable maybe.).

It should be possible to get multiplayer without a pc with the break out box (you'll see it mentioned on these forums as a BoB), which plugs into the bottom of the gp2x and gives you a few usb host ports among other things (4 ports on the dev BoB's, don't know how many there will be on the final consumer boxes).

As the gp2x already comes with the driver to allow usb networking with a PC I see no reason why it shouldn't be possible to plug at least one or two gp2x's into the host usb port to create a mini network (it may even handle 4 - don't know about the power demands this would put on the BoB). Shouldn't even need any configuration other than setting the IP addresses on each unit. I've tested this by plugging the gp2x usb cable into it's own host ports and it seems to detect itself and load the driver, so this weekend I think I'll pick up another power adapter and try it out properly with a spare screenless board I've got.

Well but it`s still not as easy as with the gp32. Do you think the devs (inculding you) will implement multiplayer feature into their code with this? Would be cool. But still, I know nobody with a gp2x in all hannover. To play multiplayer I would have to meet up with EvilDragon or Lubidog. lol

Barc posted on Sep 7 2006 at 01:04 PM said:
Hello, I'm rather new to this GP2X scene.

Was about to order one from playasia for christmas but just wanna clear some doubts on this emulation handheld.

I've read some posts on this forum and had some questions.

1) Does GP2X work with SD cards with storage space above 2GB (ex. 4GB)?
2) Is it able to work with mini SD cards (with the SD card adapter) as well?
3) Does it comes with a overclocking tool or we'll have to source one for ourselves?
4) Are the emulators able to run most games at full speed with sound? Or I'll have to wait for future releases?
5) How is the clarity of the pictures while playing videos using the TV-Out connector cable? Good as a DVD player?
6) Any boards/sites/forums to recommend on more info on GP2X?

I guess that's all for today.

Thanks for your time. :D

my turn ;)

1) SD and MMC cards up to 4GB are supported ;) 8Gb cards are newer SD with different technologies, no backward-compatibility :(

2) don't know, but probably, since SD adaptors surely have to comply with SD standards

3) Most of the programs that needs it have built-in overclocking tool (DrMD, GnGeo, Mame...), some others needs you to write a script, using CPU_Speed (program that set a CPU speed) or, more easily for programs that don't handle with overclocking, is gMenu2x, an alternative frontend which allows you to overclock any application you want
In any case, you won't need to write a single command line to overclock : either use the built-in overclocking tool (MegaDrive, MAME, NeoGeo, PSX emulators...) , or use gmenu2x (Quake, SNES, Spout...)

4) of course PSX emulator isn't fullspeed (but is getting ever closer ;) ). SNES emulator needs some work too (no transparencies, but speed and graphics OK for most games with a little overclocking), other common systems like Megadrive, master system, Game boy (color), neogeo (with overclocking) runs very good. I haven't tried PC emulators (Amiga & co) but I guess old hardware runs pretty fine

5) on my 2 old TV's, video is bad (either black&white, or blurry) but on a friend's TV, it is just perfect ;) maybe my TV's are way too old :ph34r:

6) This board is the biggest I know, but I don't go on german and spanish forums :unsure: in fact I only know a little about the french community. If you are english-friendly enough, you'll be better off here

I think there was some pong-like game recently that features 2 players mode : one with the stick, the other with the four buttons ;) Also networking with a PC might sound cool, as it already works (USB network, telnet, samba file sharing, Internet Connexion Sharing, etc etc) but isn't implemented in games (imagine playing Doom or Quake on your GP2X, vs A Friend of yours, on his PC :ph34r: or even better : a cross-platform emulator that features 2 or more players on LAN! but that's just speculation...)

Last edited by a moderator:
wow. thanks for the replies.

xnopasaranx: well, disappointed, not really. devastated, yes. I just wanna play some games with my siblings. :D

shinneri: thanks for the site. I guess it has all the stuff i need. :D

reiboul: thanks for sharing. Most of the games I'll be playing will be SNES games, So PSX emulation will be off for me.

reiboul posted on Sep 7 2006 at 03:53 PM said:
1) SD and MMC cards up to 4GB are supported ;) 8Gb cards are newer SD with different technologies, no backward-compatibility :(
Could you (or anyone) please explain why MMC cards are compatible with the GP2X? Is it something that was done intentionally or are they genuinely that similar to SD?

@Barc: if you're interested in SNES, try NK's emulator. It's not as pretty (or intuitive), but it has working transparencies and better compatibility.

shinneri posted on Sep 7 2006 at 09:20 PM said:
Could you (or anyone) please explain why MMC cards are compatible with the GP2X? Is it something that was done intentionally or are they genuinely that similar to SD?

@Barc: if you're interested in SNES, try NK's emulator. It's not as pretty (or intuitive), but it has working transparencies and better compatibility.
SD is based off of the MMC standard.

xnopasaranx posted on Sep 7 2006 at 11:52 AM said:
But still, I know nobody with a gp2x in all hannover. To play multiplayer I would have to meet up with EvilDragon or Lubidog. lol
I´m moving to Hildesheim next week if that helps.

Yono posted on Sep 8 2006 at 03:47 AM said:
shinneri posted on Sep 7 2006 at 09:20 PM said:

SD is based off of the MMC standard.

Physically a SD card is a MMC with a write-lock on its side, and less connectors. Oh, and i think MMC are thinners :lol:
My 2GB 150x MMC works like a charm ;) but 2Go SD was 5€ cheaper (yet only 60x)

Back