Emulator Mhz's

cozmic

Website
Visit site
I was just wondering if someone knows wich emulators run at a decent pace at 66mhz??

This because of the battery usage.

I found that a coleco emu runs at full speed @ 66mhz...

Otherwise i guess i have to carry a 10 pack of batteries everywhere :p

That's not too bad, really.

But wouldnt it be great if for example ljgp ran at 80mhz. That would make the gp32 even more competitive to the GB* :ph34r:

Yeah I think that authors should try to make their things run at lower MHZ without slowdown cause that would make batterys last longer and stuff. Not trying to sound like an asshole :p But I know that Rise of the Triad runs about 66MHZ.

even 40mhz.

But it still sux that the gp32 hasnt got a batt meter.
EXEPT when you use the duracell ones whit the tester on it, and leve the gp32 batt. cover off.
then you could test them all the time :lol:

Mayb it's possible to use some kind of accu on the gp32.
I;ve seen som double AA accu's for standard 2batt devices, but that's 5yrs ago.

Then you couls play the snes af 166mhz for a while

Last edited by a moderator:
Yup, instead of asking for the impossible just stop being cheap and get better batteries :)

Edit: Maybe that sounded a bit harsh, but with 2300 rechargable batteries (better for your wallet and the planet) my flu runs a really long time even when I run emu's at 166mhz.

Sure the GBA emulators are good - they run at decent speed at 15mhz. But the rise of the zodiac makes it highly unlikely that the GP32 community are ever going to move to developing emulators that run natively in ASM (like pocketnes, drsms or ZXadvance) - its just not portable.

The fact that our emulators are ports from other platforms is mostly a good thing - it means that devlopers can at least code for the GP32 and the Zodiac side by side (sort of!). I think this is more important than a bit more battery life.

Batteries are more replaceable than good emulator developers.

I'm cetainly going to look fot some of these 2400ma batts
BTW do they recharge IN the gp when it's connected to a 3v?

Sure the GBA emulators are good - they run at decent speed at 15mhz. But the rise of the zodiac makes it highly unlikely that the GP32 community are ever going to move to developing emulators that run natively in ASM (like pocketnes, drsms or ZXadvance) - its just not portable.

The fact that our emulators are ports from other platforms is mostly a good thing - it means that devlopers can at least code for the GP32 and the Zodiac side by side (sort of!). I think this is more important than a bit more battery life.

Batteries are more replaceable than good emulator developers.
what the blazes was that all about???

Hammer%20Head.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
what the blazes was that all about???

A Gameboy advance will run nes games, master system games or spectrum games at full speed with sound no problem all at 15mhz - because it mostly runs ASM code. (With a horribly tortured looking screen display!)

If you wanna make big speed increases to our older emu's you are mostly talking about writing ASM code.

It's unlikely thats all !

Hmm - looking back I'm pretty sure I could have said that in a more coherent way at the time but I had a class of 30 kids waiting in the corridor for me to teach them science :(

And now they've all gone home :D

The battery-whiners should try to think longer about what they prefer. Optimising an emulator and entirely recoding parts of it in ASM is a pain in the ass, it takes lots of time. In fact it take more time than a simple port. So here is the real choice :
- having many emulators that run perfectly at 133 or more MHz
- having few emulators that run nice at 66 MHz
I already know my choice: the more the better.

Back