Emulation Potential Of The Wiz

W-Ring

Still Fresh
Although the system is not on general release yet, I was hoping that someone could answer which of the following consoles is it likely/possible to get 99/100% emulation for in the future:

Nes
Master System
Pc Engine
Snes
MegaDrive/Genesis
Neogeo
Gameboy Advance
Old Pc games (Shadow warrior, Carmageddon etc)

I am aware that there are a number of emulators being made for it already, but I was hoping someone in the know might have a rough idea what the power and potential for emulation will be.

It looks like an extremely interesting machine to me. Is there an official release date yet (besides 'April')?

Last edited by a moderator:
Seeing as all these currently run on the GP2X, there is no reason that they will not run on the Wiz.

SNES was probably the slowest of these emulators, the extra (slight) power of the Wiz may see some improvements with SNES emulation on it.

To sort of add to this topic instead of making a new one just about this, what are the capabilities of dosbox as of right now? Would it be able to handle a game with a lot of video, like Harvester? What about early 3D games like The 7th Guest? I've not seen very many things about dosbox on the gp2x so I don't really know what all it's able to run, I just know it's available. I'm definitely not expecting miracles from it (I'd be pleasantly surprised if it could play either of those games), I just have absolutely no clue what it can do as of now.

I can find plenty of videos and things of other emulators I'm interested in but I've not had much luck with dosbox. :(

'DurTahar' said:
To sort of add to this topic instead of making a new one just about this, what are the capabilities of dosbox as of right now? Would it be able to handle a game with a lot of video, like Harvester? What about early 3D games like The 7th Guest? I've not seen very many things about dosbox on the gp2x so I don't really know what all it's able to run, I just know it's available. I'm definitely not expecting miracles from it (I'd be pleasantly surprised if it could play either of those games), I just have absolutely no clue what it can do as of now.

I can find plenty of videos and things of other emulators I'm interested in but I've not had much luck with dosbox. :(
As I remember harvester uses vesa graphic mode and will not be scary on Wiz's small display :)
If you are into adventure games, I think ScummVM will be the epic adventure place on Wiz.

Cheers for the info slaanesh. So with the exception of the snes, is it likely that the emulators for the machines I listed could be 99%/100% accurate?

Cheers

W-Ring said:
Cheers for the info slaanesh. So with the exception of the snes, is it likely that the emulators for the machines I listed could be 99%/100% accurate?

Cheers
dosbox is not going to run those PC games you listed.

'slaanesh' said:
SNES was probably the slowest of these emulators, the extra (slight) power of the Wiz may see some improvements with SNES emulation on it.

The Gp2X version of SNES doesn't work on the Wiz unless you disable the asm modules. I'm working on it now to try and find and fix the reason why.

'quasist' said:
As I remember harvester uses vesa graphic mode and will not be scary on Wiz's small display :)
If you are into adventure games, I think ScummVM will be the epic adventure place on Wiz.
Oh, I definitely plan on loading mine up with Scummvm! And I'll probably have finished Harvester by the time the Wiz gets into my hands, but it was the best example I could think of at the time for what I meant, like I said I don't really know the Wiz's capabilities, I much more expect it to only run much simpler games than the ones I listed, but I thought it was worth asking.

'Squidge' said:
'slaanesh' said:

The Gp2X version of SNES doesn't work on the Wiz unless you disable the asm modules. I'm working on it now to try and find and fix the reason why.

I have the same kind of problem with gngeo. I have to disable cyclone to make it work. It work perfectly on the gp2x but not on the wiz. it must be my code because it seems to work in mame, so..

For now, gngeo is faster on the gp2X especially the dual core version

I will get the wiz if ti can run CPS3 emu. SFIII3S always in my pocket would be a dream come true, but it's not looking good specs wise.

AlexKidd2X runs also faster on GP2X than Wiz...

I hope it would be because of the mmuhack and ram timmings not used correctly on Wiz version.

EDIT: Anyway, it runs full speed on Wiz, I mean underclocking Wiz to <200 Mhz.

We posted warnings saying these exact things over 2 years ago.

The chipset is flawed.

I also had an angry email exchange with MES about it where they refused to refund our $20,000 fee and eventually admitted it was slow and had the flaws we pointed out, so it isn't just a faulty set up - MES agree it has its faults but they said it isn't designed for speed, rather for GPS systems.

'Puck2099' said:
AlexKidd2X runs also faster on GP2X than Wiz...

I hope it would be because of the mmuhack and ram timmings not used correctly on Wiz version.

EDIT: Anyway, it runs full speed on Wiz, I mean underclocking Wiz to <200 Mhz.
Have you tried the mmuhack code I posted?

'Exophase' said:
Have you tried the mmuhack code I posted?
Mmm, maybe, I used the one included in last MAME4ALL (I think it is your last version because Franxis told me that it worked correctly), but I didn't notice any difference, so probably I'm doing something bad.

I should try it with the serial cable to see the output, but I'm quite busy this week preparing a conference so I'll try it next week and let you know :)

Regards

Back