Emulation of Pandora on PC

L

Leo

I was wondering: is there anyway to emulate the Pandora OS (or a similar OS) so that I could play Pandora games on my PC? I've been searching ~2 hours now and nothing I understand. Any help?

Why would you want to do that? Most of the Pandora software is not exclusive to the Pandora. You can run any Linux PC and run most of the games you have on Pandora by installing them from sources on your architecture.

Why would you want to do that? Most of the Pandora software is not exclusive to the Pandora. You can run any Linux PC and run most of the games you have on Pandora by installing them from sources on your architecture.
Ok, thanks. I thought the games were Pandora exclusive. I guess I'll run VirtualBox and load up Ubuntu (if it works with the games). Maybe Debian 64-bit when I load up SteamOS.

FWIW, I expect you can run the Pandora OS and apps under QEmu on Windows should you want the full exclusive experience, but as noted almost all Pandora games are open source, and I'd expect most of them were built for Windows at least at some point. The Pandora just made it easier to find all these great games that were already out there.

I wouldn't play in a virtual box, I am not sure if 3d acceleration works perfectly. There is an other way, which is even more easy and gives you fullspeed. Wubi.

http://releases.ubuntu.com/14.04/wubi.exe

Try it, it installs linux into a container file in windows. You have to restart, to switch between Windows and Linux, but it easy very easy to install and use. And if you want to get rid of ubuntu, you can just uninstall it, like any windows application.

It would be nice for the sake of preserving history - both of individual software and of the platform as a whole. Most Pandora software is ports and emulators, sure, but just as it was the case with the GP32, GP2X, etc, there are always some cool original programs that get lost when the hardware dies out.

Last edited by a moderator:
It would be nice for the sake of preserving history - both of individual software and of the platform as a whole. Most Pandora software is ports and emulators, sure, but just as it was the case with the GP32, GP2X, etc, there are always some cool original programs that get lost when the hardware dies out.
There's no need for emulation to make them run, since they run on standard Linux libs. The only thing we need is the source code, and it's available for 99% of what's running on Pandora. 

There's no need for emulation to make them run, since they run on standard Linux libs. The only thing we need is the source code, and it's available for 99% of what's running on Pandora. 
I understand, I was thinking more about remembering the Pandora 20 years from now and being able to run all my old PND's as they are into an emulator or compatibility layer application (like GINGE for GP2X programs). However, I can see the angle of Pandora being more about the format than about the platform.

I was thinking more about remembering the Pandora 20 years from now and being able to run all my old PND's

What better way than keeping your Pandora around?  I use decades old hardware daily.
I dislike carrying multiple devices with me.

I would prefer to rip off my 3DS collection and play it on the Pyra instead being forced to carry 3ds and Pyra with me.

If there are Pandora specific programs I don't want to have to carry multiple devices with me in some years as well.

I dislike carrying multiple devices with me.   I would prefer to rip off my 3DS collection and play it on the Pyra instead being forced to carry 3ds and Pyra with me. If there are Pandora specific programs I don't want to have to carry multiple devices with me in some years as well.
I can fully understand wanting that.  I think I want that.  If it is software many people want that the hardware can handle I think someone would port it.  Maybe for a fee.  Should we start a collection for a 3DS emulator?

3ds emulator is still some time to go.

I'm waiting for the day I can use my Pyra to play high res 3DS on the TV.

Back