Ehh... True Crime - Streets Of L.a.

Ringo

Website
Visit site
Just been trying out True Crime for PC, and have a feeling I'll lose my patience with this. This must be the most obscure controls I have ever encountered - and it's near impossible to change to my own prefrences.

Hell... I can't even assign the controls to my joypad!

It might just be me <_<

Actually the controls for the PC version "Pirates of the Carribean" were also very odd, but at least I was able to change them to something that worked for me.

Makes you wonder what developers are thinking.

Well, the PS2 version wasn't that crappy controls. I enjoyed it for a short time, because the game is really short, even having 3 or 6 different endings...

EDIT: is "even having 3 or.." well said in english? :lol:

I would have said it in this way, too, but I can`t really tell, cause I´m german... :D

6 different endings? My Gamecube version has 3 endings, bad, normal and good.
How do you count to six different? <_<

And I think the controls for the GC version are really good, and it`s one of the best games I`ve ever played, just like an interactive movie... B)

Quiest posted on Sep 10 2004 at 12:32 PM said:
I would have said it in this way, too, but I can`t really tell, cause I´m german... :D

6 different endings? My Gamecube version has 3 endings, bad, normal and good.
How do you count to six different? <_<

And I think the controls for the GC version are really good, and it`s one of the best games I`ve ever played, just like an interactive movie... B)

I think that in the last level of the three episodes, if you get killed, the ending is different that if you kill the final boss.

Last edited by a moderator:
I rented it for my ps2, and it was pretty cool. The controls were good with the ps2 controller. I dont like anything on the computer, unless I can use a game pad with it. I can plug my ps2 controller into my pc too

finty101 posted on Sep 10 2004 at 03:18 PM said:
I hated it, I can't really put my finger on why, but I just did.

I know why it is shite and the had the nerve to put all this hype around it, controls suck graphics are washed out storyline cliched.

Hopefully the will improve on their second attempt.

hehe a friend once told me the PotC was based on the engine of some other company's game, reprogramed to fit the movie by a russian subcontracted company, the original version featured whores which you;d be able to use even if the player character was female.

Anyway He was a play tester for the game and said the controls sucked even in the early stages, Apparently the (re)programers didnt want to deviate too far from the original controls because it would make their job harder.

mattmagoo posted on Sep 10 2004 at 07:13 PM said:
PotC?

Passoin of the Christ?1?
Pirates of the Caribbean
although Passoin of the Christ? would make a good game ;) hehehe

tap the A button repeatadly to flog Jesus

yes that is true about PotC, which is why is bears aboslutley no relevance to the film. Its just a proate game. Doesnt even have the characters from the film

I've heard that the Potc film is based on the bethdesa game. The game was in development before the film, and they did a film based on the game. I repeat, i've just heard that but i don't remember where.

Hardly. The POTC game was originally called Sea Dogs II, and they were working on it for a while. The Disney film was (semi-obviously) based on the theme park ride and entirely seperate. However when the film was released Disney did a deal with Bethesda to rename the game to 'Pirates of the Carribean' for marketing purposes. Which is why the game has no resemblance to the film at all. Also, it sucks.

Alpha 2, I'm not sure about the contracted Russian company -- it was just a rename. I think the whores are a joke from your friend, since the game was probably aiming for PG-13 rating...

Rico posted on Sep 10 2004 at 09:38 PM said:
However when the film was released Disney did a deal with Bethesda to rename the game to 'Pirates of the Carribean' for marketing purposes. Which is why the game has no resemblance to the film at all. Also, it sucks.

I had fun with the game so I won't entirely agree to the "it sucks"-comment, but I do somehow know what you mean. I think it's incredible that all these years after the release of Sid Meyers "Pirates!", that no other game has been able to fill it shoes.
I liked the sea battle-system of "Pirates of the Carribean", but that was the only thing thing that really was "good"... To me anyway (have heard of people disliking the long sea battles). It's rediculous (nevermind spelling... I'm drunk) that they were only able to create like 5 or 6 islands for the game, when "Pirates!" featured the islands of the entire carribean. Even the trade system of "Pirates!" is more advanced than the one in POTC, where cities wealth represent what has happened resantly.
The sword-fight system in a whole sucked big-time... and differently with games preset controls (I'm talking the PC version).

For me: I jerked with the controls, managed to fight the captain. Had fun wandering in the town and buying stuff, then sailed out on a voyage. Usually I hit a storm or a battle. Both involve switching to SLOW AS FUCK MOVEMENT MODE where you move really slow, even if you're going the same direction as the wind. It's extremely boring. The first time, a pirate ship blew me up as I was trying to sail past it. The second time, I reached land but as I went to disembark some rocks underneath the sea destroyed my ship.

It's similar to Pirates! but I found Pirates! more enjoyable. As you say, the economics and such are more intelligent (what do you expect, it's Sid Meier, aka creator of Civilization) Sailing was almost always fast, there's no screwing around with the camera during battles, a straightfoward (albeit tricky to get used to) duel system, and you knew where the rocks were.

I assume you know a sequel to Pirates! is coming out, in full 3D... can't wait for it.

Rico posted on Sep 11 2004 at 09:12 PM said:
I assume you know a sequel to Pirates! is coming out, in full 3D... can't wait for it.

I do! and am pretty excited about it too :D
3D is welcome - as long as it doesn't make a crap sword-fighting system as the one in POTC. Think the problem of that game (and many others), is the 3D enviroment tend to make game developers a tad ambitious. It's like they wanted to make some sort of GTA in a pirate-scheme, where you are supposed to be able to do everything - but end up being able to nothing properly...
It's a dangerous path to take as a developer, and hard to be successfull in B)

As a reference I can mention a game like "Omikron - The Nomad Soul", as it's a game that tries to master severeral genres... and fails.

Back