• Other

Votes: 1 4.3%
  • I don't use IRC/I don't know about IRC/I don't care/votes++

Votes: 3 13.0%

• Total voters

aho

Website
kaioa.com
Currently the channels (#wiz and #wizdev) are over at EFnet, but EFnet is a rather lousy network. Frequent disconnects, laggy servers, etc. Additionally, it isn't exactly famous for being a development network and most developers don't happen to hang around there.

With Freenode things are different. It's the home of most opensource projects and it also got huge language/API/library channels.

So, what do you think?

Oh and by the way... we really need a sticky which points at those channels. ;)

It will stay as EFnet. It has always been EFnet, and always will - you'll never get people to move over, they'll just get aggravated (note: people have tried this before and failed). Also, EFnet *is* used by loads of homebrew developers, and I don't have the problems you describe.

We are Efnet. resistance is futile. You will be assimilated. Your IRC channels and their users will be added to that of our own.

*laser pen sweeps across room projected from Efnet person head.

Edit: Drunk while posting

Although I agree that it's not a very good server, Efnet is not nearly as bad as it used to be. The notion of "let's move to Freenode because that's where all these open source projects have their IRC channels" strikes me as pretentious. That really shouldn't matter, since those projects have nothing to do with Wiz. If you're unhappy because you have to be on more than one network then the same thing would apply to people who predominantly stick with one.

Really it's not so much of a question of which server is better but whether or not it's worth moving and I vote no.

Efnet's servers doesn't really split as much as it used to. Lag hasn't been a problem in a long time. Most of the servers are actually pretty stable now. I've seen more frequent splits on Freenode than Efnet, although I am relatively new to Freenode. I'll go about wherever the action is.

Back