Eduke32

Qvazar

Still Fresh
Can the Pandora run EDuke32?
I guess yes, but I'm not sure. It has OpenGL or software graphics. I can't find anything about system requirements, ARM or OpenGL ES support on the Wiki, but I can find this: Building EDuke32 on Linux.
Anyone with a Pandora and ready for some alien ass-kicking that could try it out? :)
Maybe even make a PND out of it, if it works.

I was just looking at this yesterday. There is a version of it for Dingux, so maybe I'll look there first. I'm not saying I'm taking this project on, but I am at least looking at it. :p

mindlord said:
I was just looking at this yesterday. There is a version of it for Dingux, so maybe I'll look there first. I'm not saying I'm taking this project on, but I am at least looking at it. :p
Sounds great! :D

Last edited by a moderator:
even the normal Duke3D ran great onto the GP2X.
With HW Acceleration, EDuke should be much better, even in "real" 3D graphics. :) I don't know if the high-res-Textures can be used onto the Pandora but I hope we will have at least real 3D Models for Player and Enemies. ^^

I've got it compiling on my Pandora right now, but it's going to be Software only at first. The OpenGL driver is not OpenGL/ES friendly and will take a rewrite. EDuke32 runs pretty good using Software video on the Dingoo though, take a look:

Edit: Several failed attepts at svn version, I'll try again later with the same release as the Dingoo version.

Update:
I got it to compile finally, but it's not tuned to run on the Pandora's display, and the controls still need to be remapped, but a quick playthru of the first level was really promising! It won't be long 'til you can "Come Get Some!" too.

mindlord said:
Update:
I got it to compile finally, but it's not tuned to run on the Pandora's display, and the controls still need to be remapped, but a quick playthru of the first level was really promising! It won't be long 'til you can "Come Get Some!" too.

yeah

jonlad1 said:
Wicked stuff mindlord!
But I is playing duke 3d with nubs even legal? Seriously good work though.

mindlord said:
Update:
Does the Software Mode already support the full 800x480 res? :) And does it "stretch" or generate true Widescreen?

This is awesome! This also means (almost) all EDuke32 TC's will work right? My brother is working on one, would be cool to play it on my Pandora :D

fusion_power said:
Does the Software Mode already support the full 800x480 res? :) And does it "stretch" or generate true Widescreen?

Neither yet, it's running in a window. :p

The last svn versions says it supports widescreen, but it may only be in GL mode. Not certain... guess I'll be finding out soon.

Dragons_Slayer said:
This is awesome! This also means (almost) all EDuke32 TC's will work right? My brother is working on one, would be cool to play it on my Pandora :D

It would appear that this is true. The loader looks for TC's and gives you the list. I'm using Duke Nukem Atomic Edition right now. I haven't tried anything else yet.

Update: Ok, fullscreen is working. Unfortunately it does appear to be stretched, rather than corrected. Perhaps I can change the FOV, I'll check into this. If I can't correct it I will force it to add a 640x480 mode so at least you have a choice.

The controls are still wonky, but I think I've got a workable solution going. I expect to have a beta PND available by tomorrow... probably.

Oh yeah, I forgot to say, feel free to join #eduke32 on freenode if you need any help with anything. We like handheld ports. I suspect this one is about as complicated as the Dingoo port was... I think when I asked the guy for the patch it was only a few lines of actual meaningful changes.

Oh, yeah, I'm the EDuke32 guy. Clearly. :p

Maybe I'm missing something here... but without hardware 3D acceleration, what advantage is there to running EDuke32 rather than regular Duke Nukem 3D?

--Zero

Badass mods? 6 years of bug fixes? Awesome new features? The advantage is that it's a better port than any of the others (which haven't been updated in years).

Back