Ebay: "commodore 64 Emulator For The Gp2x"

They take down PSP auctions if you mention custom firmware. Someone even had their Wiz auction removed recently, presumably because they mentioned emulation. But they won't touch someone blatantly selling pirated games for profit. :angry:

I guess they don't have to worry about Commodore coming after them. Sony/Sega/Nintendo on the other hand...

Sheesh, tell me about it, I once described something I was selling as 'like' something else and they made me pull it off Ebay. As far as I can tell it just comes down to whether a company have paid in to Vero and got some zealot to protect their copyright.

£14.99 + £10 P&P. What a ripoff.

May if enough of us report such stuff, they will actually do something about it? Then again, they'll be losing money if they did, and since its unlikely they'll get copyright claims thrown against them...

What the hey, reported them both. I mentioned pirated arcade ROMs, as well as asking money for open source software. Not that I think they'll understand/care about the second one, but two naughty things are better than one.

£14.99 + £10 P&P. What a ripoff.

May if enough of us report such stuff, they will actually do something about it? Then again, they'll be losing money if they did, and since its unlikely they'll get copyright claims thrown against them...
Reported it too just now, I wonder if they at least take a look. It also looks a bit like a scam to me as there are pictures of the C64 and description of the GP2X itself, which is misleading in the least.

Last edited by a moderator:
Theres nothing wrong with selling open source software, or software other people have written. Its not cool of course, but its not illegal, they didn't crack it etc.

ITs the distribution of ROMs that shoudl get ebays interest; if ebay gets warned, and does nothing, they become part of the liability chain. Thats the part of it to flag.

But of course, they rarely act; I've had people cracking and selling my for-sale apps on ebay, and they don't take the auctions down :/

jeff

The best way to kill off these illegal auctions is for as many people to "buy" it as possible, then afterwards ask the seller if the roms are legal. If they lie and say they are, ask them to prove it. They can't so they just shut the hell up and you'll be able to back out of the sale easy. Now that you've taken action you are more likely to raise ebay's interest in the seller since an item with a whole lot of failed/cancelled sales looks very suspicious.. It also allows you to give him negative feedback.

why would anyone pay for this?
its pretty common knowledge that you can get all this stuff for free
not that im endorsing that ofc ;)

Theres nothing wrong with selling open source software, or software other people have written. Its not cool of course, but its not illegal, they didn't crack it etc.
ITs the distribution of ROMs that shoudl get ebays interest; if ebay gets warned, and does nothing, they become part of the liability chain. Thats the part of it to flag.

But of course, they rarely act; I've had people cracking and selling my for-sale apps on ebay, and they don't take the auctions down :/

jeff

I tried listing a multi-cart for atari 5200 and it got pulled in a matter of hours. Atari 5200 has been off the market for 25 years! Atari doesn't even exist anymore.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back