Early Vs Late Adopters

vaustein

I will purchase an Open Pandora from among the first batch released for sale. This will be the first time I've ever been an early adopter for any electronic device. Consider:
- I bought my first 486 PC (DX2\66) from Gateway around Christmas, 1993. In fact, I got my first and only manual labor job to pay for it, and quit not long thereafter.
- Our house had its first CD player in 1991 and first DVD player in 1997.
- First standard definition TV with a remote control - 1989.
- My GP2X F100 MK2 - May, 2006, upon successful completion of my graduate degree.

Being a late adopter minimizes costs and risks. However, has anyone else been an early adopter, and has it usually paid off for you?

I was an early adopter of the GP2X, and even though the system had its problems it was very fun and interesting to be a part of this community and watching the power of the handheld unfold. I always had something to use it for, even when there were relatively major issues that needed to be ironed out. So if that kind of a thrill escapes you, being an early afopter probably won't work out. The Pandora seems to be a different kind of bean altogether, though, as we've been a part of it since inception, and the people in charge know what they're doing.

I, personally, am up for it again.

Seeing as the developers of the Pandora are much more competent than the developers of the GP32 and the GP2X, the launch should proceed fairly smoothly. There is a lot of support from the community, so there should be a good software base at launch. In terms of hardware manufacturing defects, Craig has already stated that defective parts will be replaced with functional ones. Being a late adopter most likely won't give you any hardware benefits over early adopters, and I'd be very surprised if the price changed. All in all, I don't see much downside to being an early adopter for the Pandora.

I was an early adopter for the PSP system and it has paid off, mainly because I was able to avoid being stuck with a "locked" PSP after homebrew started to develop on the system and watch it evolve.

I was not an early adopter for the GP2X, I purchased mine later on after there was an adequate amount of homebrew and emulators. I was an early adopter of the GP2X F200 because I was expecting the GP2X development community to create some great PDA programs for it and many games similar to the better homebrew on the Nintendo DS. That has not happened yet and because the F200 firmware takes 40 seconds to boot up I am regretting my purchase.

I guess you can sum up my perspective by saying early adoption only pays off for systems that are meant to play commercial games, but not for systems that are meant to play homebrew games. I will be waiting until I have a very good reason to purchase a Pandora.

I was a late adopter of the GP2X, but I bought an F200, so I guess I was an early-ish adopter of that. The firmware still sucks, but increased touchscreen support from the homebrew scene and some proven hardware mods are really putting the F200 into the zone right now. It took me a few months of owning it to really start loving it though.

I'm looking forward to getting one of the first Pandoras. This community is a big part of that; if I'd just seen it on Engadget or something, I'd wait until it was proven. But seeing it unfold here, and interacting with everyone involved, gives me big confidence in the purchase.

The software library will be small at first, but it should launch with more than enough to keep me happy. A couple of emus, maybe a couple of ports, a good media player, and some web browsing... happy days!

I was a late adopter of the GP2X, but will be an early adopter of the Pandora due mainly to the devotion of the designers to this community, as well as the fact that no other device will even come close to this level of power and flexibility in a long time.

I would say being a late adopter is (to me at least) mostly important with regards to closed devices like PSP and DS, where I want to hang back and make sure the devices can be "opened up" for homebrew in a safe way (hence I would rather buy a DS than a PSP). With open devices like the GP2X or Pandora, I'd say being an early adopter has no specific drawbacks (except the obvious case with the GP2X where the first couple of hardware revisions had several flaws which were at least improved upon with the MK2 if not fixed completely - I believe this will not be the case with the Pandora as I'm sure Craigix and the team will not release a public batch until they're completely happy with the hardware, and software can always be improved at a later stage if needed).

I've been an early adopter several times, and not once have I regretted it.

Especially with these sorts of devices, where you KNOW there's a vibrant community of talented homebrew devs and users. Pandora looks like it will the best yet. And those early days (especially the first year) are often the most exciting as everyone scrambles to try new things and see what's possible. Plus it's gonna have some great emulators from day one - why miss out?

For some things I have been an early adopter, others I have waited. The two questions are typically:
Will it be full of bugs that someone else needs to sort out? (especially the world's 'favourite' software company)
Will it have enough 'software' (I'm thinking here normal software but also music/video/games depending on the device)

Will Pandora have bugs? Possibly, but the testing process sounds rigorous so they should be minimal and it is probably worth getting in at the start for the knowledge and experience, not to mention fun)

Will it have enough software? Almost certainly, with a new OS to explore, ports of old favourites etc. Then the development will carry on at some speed I believe.

I can't wait. Well, I can because I'll have to. But you know what I mean.

I was an early adopter of the GP2x first edition, And can safely say i was severely disappointed with the overall quality of the hardware, Numerous design flaws and that dammed stick. :angry:

I still own a couple of GP32s (2x Blu & 1x dead Nlu) which are 100% better made than the first edition, Mk1 and probably the mk2 GP2x.

The thing is, I had this impression that because the GP2x were made by what was essentially the same company that made the GP32, Only halved, I thought i would be getting a product that would be built to the same or similar quality of that of the GP32, I was obviously wrong.

I never used the GP2x again after the first initial week of owning it, Even though there was really some great software to use on it even at that early stage of ownership, The hardware was just sub-par in my opinion.

Obviously the hardware designers and the quality assurance team must have left Gamepark when the company split in two, Leaving the packer and the teaboy behind.

The Pandora on the other hand is built by a team of people who know exactly what they are doing, Exactly what their customers want (with in reason) because they asked us, Are part of the community, Thus have like minded wants, the same as we do.

And would gladly be an early adopter of the Pandora, With no questions asked. :)

Trooper

I waited for the MK2 GP2X even though I was dying to buy one because I didn't have much faith that GPH could get the hardware right first time (good call I think). I have full confidence in the Pandora devs on the other hand, as this is something that Is very personal to them and not just about making some quick cash. There is no doubt in my mind that the Pandora won't be released until they are completely happy with it.

I'll be buying one as soon as possible and there's a very good chance that this will be the system which actually gets me to learn programming (once Python has been ported) :)

Bought a first edition gp2x. I hope the developers of the pandore keep their word and never release our new machine in the state the gp2x was...

Crap screen
awful joystick

two things you need to play games...

I love my gp2x but it was released too soon. So hopefully....

I was an early adopter of the Wii (if that counts) and I wouldn't have done otherwise. Nintendo sent all existing Wii owners the different fixes or replacements that were included in newer Wii boxes (such as rubber grips, and a new strap). Craigix has already told us he'd do the same. :)

hey

I think we got our first family computer around 1998-2000 (can't remember exactly, was a compaq pentium 200 or something), but I think I was on it the most playing around with windows 95, hehe. Although my dad had a few really old systems like a commodore V20 with frogger and jupitor landing :), we also had some other old system.

Otherwise the first thing I was an early adopter of was the Nintendo 64, and it was the best :). I forget if I was an early adopter of the Gamecube, but I was with the Wii, although it's nothing compared to the N64 :p.

Ohh, and I was an early adopter of Goldeneye 007, somehow I knew that game would rock and we traveled to another town to get it on release. Hmm, I don't think there were any reviews and such at the time we got it :).

Hmm, and I can't remember when we first got a DVD player, I think it was around 2001-2003, but I dunno. Well I don't think I had a DVD player on my computer until around 2007, hehe.

But yea, I think Australia might be behind the times when it comes to DVD players and such, although they were around for years before we got one.

edit
I remember when we laybuyed the N64 and they gave us this cool video about the N64 and upcoming games and such :), I watched it heaps.

antoher edit
Anyhows I dunno if it's better to be an early adopter or not, I mean we never got the NES right away (well we never knew it existed until we saw it at a friends, double dragon 2 was the best :)). Hmm, and I never knew how cool the original Gameboy was until my bro got one :), I thought they were like them electronic games, hehe. But yea, Metroid 2 Return of Samus was just the best :), one of the first games we had. Well I liked all the games we had back in the day :), so I thinks. Otherwise things might just seem more cool when ya little ^_^, hehe.

cyas

Well, I've been burned in the past by being an early adopter - they don't call it the "bleeding edge" for nothing, you know - but as I see it, what I've learned the hard way about buying hardware early in it's life cycle doesn't necessarily apply to the Pandora...

See, if I buy an early XBox360 that RRODs, a first run PS2 with a faulty DVD drive or a newly redesigned iBook that with a faulty LCD, I know for certain that Microsoft, Sony or Apple are going to give me all kinds of grief about the issue, basically denying that it's a problem for anyone else, and insisting that the problem is probably my fault for not strictly adhering to the fine print in the user manual that states that turning the damned thing on in the first place can void the warranty at the manufacturer's discretion... :rolleyes:

With the Pandora, we're talking about a niche device realized by some very fine, hard-working people, influenced and defined by a large and healthy community of fans. From what I've seen so far, the result of this will be a device that is better designed, better built, with better quality control and better service than has been seen in the mass market in quite some time. I've no qualms about being in on the first batch of Pandoras, because I'm comfortable with the knowledge that if any issues crop up, they will be dealt with honestly, fairly and promptly.

I was an early adopter of the GP2X, I had one before even a decent Genesis/Megadrive emulator was released. I agree the GPH definitely dropped the ball in every conceivable way. From shoddy craftsmanship to inferior built in software (not living up to advertised promises), and don't even get me started on their unwillingness to share their modified linux source with the community. Don't get me wrong I loved my GP2X while it lived (wipes a tear). The GP2X survived all of it's initial problems entirely because of the people in the whole community and SPECIFICALLY the gents that are responsible for the development of the Pandora.

I feel like that the GP2X could've been a lemon, and without this community it would've been a terrible experience that would've soured me on being an early adopter for any other hardware in the future. Because, I know how much effort the Pandora developers put into the software for the GP2X. I will be an early adopter of the Pandora. I seriously considered applying to get a developer model, but I didn't because I felt my skills weren't strong enough to make a real contribution to the effort, and I'm willing to put one of the developer models in the hands of someone more capable, and wait.

I plan on being on the pre-order list, and have the money in my sock drawer to prove it.

Early Adopter vs Late Adopter. In most cases, I suggest to people to be a late adopter. The reasons are obvious - bugs get fixed, improvements are made, newer models come out, prices go down.

Personal examples - I waited until the PSP Slim came out, and until I could find it used, before I got one. I have not regretted that. There are a good number of games for it now, the homebrew scene is vibrant, and the hardware is better and cheaper.

I got a Nokia N800 after the N810 had come out, and driven down the price of the N800. I found a great deal on a fold out BlueTooth keyboard - and don't travel much, so the cost benefits greatly outweighed the features I didn't get. And since the OS for the N800 was updatable to that of the N810 - I didn't miss out on any software for it either. 99% of the features - 50% of the cost.

I didn't get a DS - I waited and got a DS Lite. Very happy about that purchase. I got it the day the New Super Mario Bros. came out - and Best Buy had a special that if you bought a DS Lite - you got NSMB for free. Glad I waited. The DS Phat seems so bulky and ugly compared to the DS Lite. Plus, so many products only work with the DS Lite now, (Nerf Armor, DS Browser - the one sold in stores, the newest Slot 2 solutions, etc.)

GameBoy Micro - $99 when it first came out. $49 when I bought it. No improvements or bugfixes (that I know of) - just half the cost. But, that's due to lack of demand, not just the normal tech price slide.

However, I don't always follow that advice, and there are reasons to be an early adopter. I bought the MacBook as soon as it came out. Well, as soon as Amazon had it available. (I'm not completely crazy - I ended up (long story) saving over $250 by going through Amazon.) But I did pay the Early Adopter Tax - there were a number of problems, and I had to send my MacBook in 3 times for buggy hardware issues. Now Apple was fast, free, and awesome about fixing the problems - but if I had waited a few months for the next version, I wouldn't have had to deal with them at all (and got a more powerful computer for the same price). But I also wouldn't have had a laptop or a Mac for those months. To me, in that case, it was worth the cost.

In the case of the Pandora - I'll be (Lord willing) an early adopter. The reasons are actually quite similar to way I was with the MacBook. This is something I've been reading about and anticipating for months. This is something I don't want to be without for any longer than I have to be. I want to be able to show this off to people before many of them know that it exists. When it hits the big time, (and I really think it will), I want to be able to say "I had one of the first batch!"

The potential benefits of waiting are also not as likely with this particular product. If the GP2X and the GP32 are any indicator - (and I hope they aren't) - the price is likely to *NEVER* go down. From what people on these forums have told me - that's just the way it is with small electronics companies. The margins just aren't there to lower the cost in a year, or two, or 5.... Plus, these are subsidized by the future sales of games or software, by the inclusion of a major operating system with its kickbacks, or by mobile phone service. Basically, all the money Craig and Friends will get from the Pandora is from the initial sale of the Pandora. Maybe some docking station or other addons later on - but the only money they can count on getting from you is when you buy the thing. Most game companies (Nintendo excluded) sell their systems at a lost (at first) because they know 99.9% of the users will buy multiple games at $40, $50, $60 a piece - that only cost $.50 -$5 to produce.

And bugfixes are covered by the promise of Craig to replace any defective parts.

And, again, because it's a small company - they won't likely be coming out with a new version in the next 6 - 18 months. No Pandora Slim & Lite edition that's 33% thinner, 50% lighter, and has a brighter back-lit screen coming out just in time for Christmas.

And, as far as the growing library is concerned - (I hate to sound in any way pessimistic, but) - that will either happen, or it won't. I think it will, but even if it doesn't - I'm not too worried. I might have to do some learning about compiling things - but if all else fails - I'll just put Maemo on the thing and run my Nokia apps on a more powerful computer. This isn't like a GP2X that lives or dies on the community writing free software. There are lines of commercial products already in place that guarantee software for this thing. It's truly open - you can put other operating systems on it and everything - that's HUGE.

BTW - I was a non-adopter for the GP2X/GP32. I was going to be an semi-early adopter for the GP2X - back in the time when the GP2X's cost was between the DS and the PSP. Since I waited for both the PSP and the GP2X to go down in price - and since the Gp2X never did... I'm glad I waited. The GP2X does very little that my PSP can't do. And my PSP cost less, and plays, you know, PSP games, as well as all the emulators. No touchscreen - but I have a DS Lite and a N800, (well, I had a N800 until I traded it for an Eee PC, which I hope shows up today.) Plus, I'll be getting a Pandora - so, in the sense that the Pandora is similiar (but WAY better!) to the GP2X/GP32 (people on here have called it the "Spiritual Successor" to both products) - that's the best example I can give for waiting. The Pandora kicks the crap out of either of those things - in everything they were designed for, and so SO much more!

Back