(e)-SATA Port

Ligachamp

Hello guys,

does anybody know what would happen with the SATA port shown on ED's devboard? Would we have access to it on the Pyra or would it be removed? I wonder if they add a USB-eSATA combo plug instead a USB only one :)

Otherwise, if there's the possibility to, it could also be used to attach internal memory...?

I think it would make a lot of sense to have a USB-eSATAp combo port. It is not much bigger than a normal USB port but would offer nice new connectivity options.

On the OMAP5 there is only one USB 3.0, and it is also the only one that is OTG. So it makes sense to have a microUSB 3.0 OTG port, since that is the only way to have any OTG port at all.

That means the full-size USB port can only be USB 2.0, so no super speed there. But if it also has eSATAp, you can still use that to plug in an external hard disk or whatever, and still have a USB 3.0 port available. So you could e.g. use the Pyra to copy stuff from one storage device to another very quickly.

SATA for internal storage: maybe also an option, if you can find something that does not use too much power and/or volume. I assume that most SSDs would be too big and power-hungry.

On the German Boards, ED mentioned that the Pyra will have 3 USB ports: 2 big ones and a micro 3.0. Not sure if that implied the big ones to be 2.0 only, but the OTG port will be 3.0 for sure.

I don't think there would even be space left for an eSATA port, though. 

^A USB-eSATAp hybrid port could share a spot as it functions as both.

On the German Boards, ED mentioned that the Pyra will have 3 USB ports: 2 big ones and a micro 3.0. Not sure if that implied the big ones to be 2.0 only, but the OTG port will be 3.0 for sure.
Can you give a pointer to that post?

2 big USB ports is surprising, I wouldn't think we had space for that. Considering that microUSB 3.0 is quite wide too.

^A USB-eSATAp hybrid port could share a spot as it functions as both.
Yep.

an eSATAp port is really very compact:

Esatap_port.JPG

I highly doubt that the bus of the Pyra will be able to handle eSATA speed specs though.

Then again the same holds for USB 3.0.

2 big USB ports is surprising, I wouldn't think we had space for that. Considering that microUSB 3.0 is quite wide too.

2 big USB ports, HDMI, micro-USB, larger battery ....  Since there is infinite space why not add one of those new funny micro-USB 3 ports as well.

@destraht: HDMI, microUSB and microUSB 3.0 OTG can use the same port mechanically.

I highly doubt that the bus of the Pyra will be able to handle eSATA speed specs though.

Then again the same holds for USB 3.0.
True, but still pretty fast, I'd guess.

http://forum.gp2x.de/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=16480&start=0#p196995
I'm not sure why we need 2 large USB ports, but I guess more ports can't hurt. XD I do sincerely hope that one of those large USB ports is eSATAp.

-God Ginrai

You'll see pictures in tomorrows blog post.

We had an eSATA / USB port combination on our first revision, but there was an issue with using that (I forgot, Nikolaus can reply to that).

The OMAP5 has a SATA port built into it which is a "generation 2 compliant host (supporting 3Gbps transfer speed)"I'm positive the bus will have no trouble handling an eSATA port.

We had an eSATA / USB port combination on our first revision, but there was an issue with using that (I forgot, Nikolaus can reply to that).
some issues:* dimensions - the combined socket is wider than a pure USB2 host - so we don't have enough space for everything between the shoulder buttons and hinges

* we have not found a combo socket for SMD - only THT. But the THT has so tight pins (and through-PCB holes) that we can't route the wires towards the board. So I wonder why it has been designed in that way.

* it is a little longer and interferes with the keypad on the backside

* the eSATA can't power an external device (contrary to USB 3.0) - so we think it is not as easily useable

Last edited by a moderator:
I'd rather see the SATA used for an internal solid state disk. SD is convenient, but even the fastest SD card is slow compared to SATA.

some issues:
* dimensions - the combined socket is wider than a pure USB2 host - so we don't have enough space for everything between the shoulder buttons and hinges

* we have not found a combo socket for SMD - only THT. But the THT has so tight pins (and through-PCB holes) that we can't route the wires towards the board. So I wonder why it has been designed in that way.

* the eSATA can't power an external device (contrary to USB 3.0) - so we think it is not as easily useable
But... eSATAp can power external devices - were you looking at some eSATA-USB combination ports instead of eSATAp?

I myself never use esata, and i know nobody using it. That said, i have nothing against.
Probably wouldn't regularly use it either, but it could be useful, for example when you have a hard drive which was made to be internal but which you want to use with the Pyra.

Edit: Oops, didn't the forum use to automerge posts? Can't delete it either...

Merged - Binky

Last edited by a moderator:

some issues:* dimensions - the combined socket is wider than a pure USB2 host - so we don't have enough space for everything between the shoulder buttons and hinges
Well, honestly, I would trade one of the 2 large USBs for an eSATAp port, since I can always plug a USB hub into the device if I need more USB ports.

That does seem to be a problem. Is there no way around that?

If it is interfering with the keypad, does that mean you have it mounted on top of the PCB? Is it possible to mount it on the bottom?

Like T4b said, eSATAp is supposed to be able to power an external devices... That's what the "p" stands for: Power over eSATA.

-God Ginrai

Back