E-Cat LENR Device

sparkymark79

I've been following this for the past 9/10 months, and in ten days is the start up of the 1MW plant.

I'd be interested if any other like minded Pandorian has been following it also.

If you have never heard of it, it's basically what you would call a cold fusion device, but one that actually works (of which I'm almost 100% convinced). It uses a small amount (few grams) of nickel, some pressurised hydrogen and a secret catalyst. Each E-cat can pump out up to 27kW (this generation at least). He has stuck 52 of these in series in a shipping container to provide a 1MW solution (video here: http://www.nyteknik.se/nyheter/energi_miljo/energi/article3264361.ece) which he is demoing to a US customer on the 28th October, one day after my birthday!

There is an absolute ton of information out on the web with loads of videos, etc. The last test on the 6th October (video here: http://www.nyteknik.se/nyheter/energi_miljo/energi/article3284823.ece) pretty much sealed the deal for the doubters. As usual the mainstream media is too scared to post anything until it's 100% confirmed, but there are snippets coming out in the mainstream press:

http://www.forbes.com/sites/markgibbs/2011/10/17/hello-cheap-energy-hello-brave-new-world/

http://news.idg.no/cw/art.cfm?id=2419105C-1A64-67EA-E4564591D0CF1371

Here is a bundle of 9 rss feeds I use if you're interested

http://www.google.co.uk/reader/bundle/user%2F08645327231826588932%2Fbundle%2FMy%20E-Cat%20Feeds

Enjoy!

Mark

I hate to say it , but this has "Bullshit Sandwich" written all over it. None of the the vids demoing it look like its going to be credible. Secret Catalyst?", hmmm Im starting to smell Ass here.

I'm still optimistic. There's far too many credible scientists which have given it the 'ok'. I can't fathom a battery which can boil water for 3.5hours in such a small space (not even a Pandora battery ;) .

I've got an energy monitor at home, and it doesn't half shoot up when you switch on the kettle!

Not saying there is nothing happening here, perhaps some standard chemical reaction like when you drop zinc into HCL to produce hydrogen gas. But this is basic stuff and also non economical (cost of hcl and zinc). What I do doubt is that Cold fusion is happening, and I also doubt that whatever is happening will be economical . It was also interesting that a current for 3 hours was required to get the thing going. You just get that feeling from the vids (coming through loudly) that this is going to be horse shit.

Time will tell.

Not saying you're wrong BTW - just giving you more information.

They (invited scientists) ruled out chemical reaction by weighing before and after. Also they tested the nickel powder before (found to be pure), then tested it after and it contained copper, a transmutation from the nickel, which is a good sign of fusion.

The only possibility would be a lithium ion battery in it as that wouldn't lose weight, but I would say it is doubtful.

This is what apparantly is going on:

http://www.journal-of-nuclear-physics.com/?p=473

Seems like we've been here many times before (almost 'free energy') though, most recently "Steorn" and their "Orbo"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steorn

There were several similar claims in the US and Australia before that, all came to nothing - but not before bagging some non refundable investment from credulous deep pocketed types.

Last edited by a moderator:
@ Sparkymark :

Thanks for posting this, really interesting reading. It does seem to follow the 'if it sounds too good to be true then it is too good good to be true' theory. Guess we'll find out soon.

However, please post this sort of thing in off topic in future :rolleyes:

@ASMO

thing is, this test on the 28th October, is for 1MW. Steorn was a tiny tiny amount. This is enough to supply about 700 houses. If it works, it's pretty amazing.

fingers crossed

@MR_Loon

it does sound too good to be true, I know. I really think this one is true, hence why the media is beginning to pick it up. We can speculate all we want though, I guess the proof is in the pudding on the 28th.

If it sounds too good to be true, then it nearly always is.

Had the Pandora shipped on time and to budget, then it would have been an exception to that rule! It's a great device, but merely excellent rather than (which is good enough IMO) earth-shattering.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Andrea_Rossi_(entrepreneur)

Specifically the section on Evaluation of the device.

There have been no scientists look over the device - a couple of unnamed ones were given a demo, which is an entirely different matter. Witnessing a demonstration is entirely different to validating the scientific cause of that demonstration, or even saying that you saw anything! The papers on the subject were rejected as junk. Scientists, proper ones who are willing to put their name against it, have cropped up with a million and one tests that need to be done before they confirm *anything* about the device actually producing more energy than it absorbs (which is the problem in 99.9% of these cases, and is a spin-off of the "I've achieved perpetual motion" nutter's standard oversights) and are saying it's NOT what you think. Absolutely NO scientific tests have taken place, or been allowed to take place and already people are picking holes in their claims.

This, to anyone with a scientific brain, is in the region of the kind of red alerts that go off when you have full-scale nuclear war. There's nothing credible here, and it would be SO easy to produce something credible already before demos. There may be a reaction, but saying it's cold-fusion is baloney at this point (cold fusion would infer radioactivity and therefore a 1MW demonstration would actually require all sorts of licences!), and there is no evidence that it produces more energy than it takes to initiate the reaction (let alone the cost of the fuel, surrounding infrastructure, etc.).

Seriously, prepare for some HUGE disappointment. Those guys just single-handedly destroyed their credible science careers for the sake of getting a few dollars from investors.

If this was the first time you'd witness someone doing this, you might be surprised. But this is almost a daily occurrence world-wide - some nutter who has quite good credentials goes off the rails and ruins their career over stupid claims and they will NEVER recoup that reputation. I know doctors of physics who can't tie their shoelaces. It doesn't mean anything, like everything else in the science world, until you have reproducible results that have been scrutinised closely by dozens or even hundreds of others who are professional, published, respected and who ALL agree what's happening.

it does sound too good to be true, I know. I really think this one is true, hence why the media is beginning to pick it up. We can speculate all we want though, I guess the proof is in the pudding on the 28th.
Read 'Bad Science'

accuracy[mediacoverage]<=0.05

When this was on /. someone pointed out that it was basically:

• heat a lump of metal
  • Things in contact with it become hot
  • therefore it generates heat

If this were genuine then there would be scientific papers and patents, the inventor wouldn't fail to ensure he was going to profit from it/tell is fellow developers and inventors.

Just my 8 farthings!

Interesting that the article mentioned that there were a number of problems with the way the test was measured and that these issues were pointed out in previous tests but Rossi still hadn't fixed any of them. It also mentioned that these issues would be remarkably simple to fix , no doubt alluding to something - Hmmm.

@vcoleiro I guess we'll see, 3days till show and tell to the US client. From current reports testing of the 1MW plant is going well and he is testing at full power:

Andrea Rossi

October 24th, 2011 at 5:08 AM

Dear A. Goumy:

1- yes

2- We will work together. They have been trained

3- yes

Warm Regards,

A.R.

• A. Goumy
    October 24th, 2011 at 1:05 AM
    Dear Mr Rossi,
    It is now the run-up to the moment of truth. I wish you and your team, as you deserve it for your tenacity and your hard work, to carry out this very important test with flying colors.
    1) You told us yesterday that you were testing the 1 MW plant, and it was working well. Did you test it at full power?
    2) Have the customer’s agents who will perform the tests already been trained to control the plant operations, and will they do it by themselves, or will you have the entire control as in the previous tests?
    3) Does the maintenance contract with the customer include updates to the new versions of E-Cats currently under development?
    Best regards,
    A.G.

Also, seems to be getting backing from much more respected scientists now:

http://nextbigfuture.com/2011/10/dr-george-miley-replicates-patterson.html

So, who is up for a wager? £10 (to a developer fund) says it's the real deal*

*real deal meaning that the output power is found to be considerably more than the input power (Rossi states 6:1 as his agreement with the client). Let's say we make a decision a week after the test (unless it is obvious either way prior)

:)

I would say thats going to take a lot longer than a week to call this one considering history ie Orbo which took a while before it was disproved. The tech behind Orbo was not made public for ages , when it was made public it was shown not to produce more energy than input into it.

*COUGH*

http://blog.newenergytimes.com/2011/10/30/noble-aspirations-are-not-enough/

*COUGH*

(Strangely there's been no update to many of the news or front pages that were raving about this test beforehand!)

If you have created cold fusion (i.e. one of the most sought-after advances in phsyics), and actually sold a working 1MW plant to a genuine customer, you make a big fuss about it even if you won't name them, especially when you've had the news hounds on your back since January at your own request.

Remember what I said: "Seriously, prepare for some HUGE disappointment. Those guys just single-handedly destroyed their credible science careers for the sake of getting a few dollars from investors."

And please remember this, the next time someone tells you they've performed the impossible AND the *actual* scientists won't throw their weight behind it. For every breakthrough that goes unrecognised in science until later, there are a million crackpots and scam artists who want you to give them money for things they've completely made up.

What I dont understand and has been said before is how he is going to work this. I can only imagine the sales contract has a, if it dont work tough shizen clause. I expect he hopes to sell a couple and then hit the road or does he actually think it really works?. This is the confusing bit .

Back