Dwarf Fortress On The Pandora?

Nate3940

Still Fresh
Does anybody know if dwarf fortress is compatible with the Pandora? I know they both use some form of OpenGL, but that's about it. I'd love to be able to play dwarf fortress on the go, and am wondering if the Pandora might allow this. Thanks to all responses in advance.

Sadly, it's not. Toady One hasn't even made it compatible with Linux (although he has released enough of the source to allow a third party to do Linux and Mac releases). You may be able to contact him, and with his permission convince somebody else to port it.

That being said, even then I doubt it would be playable at these speeds.

Wolenber said:
Sadly, it's not. Toady One hasn't even made it compatible with Linux (although he has released enough of the source to allow a third party to do Linux and Mac releases). You may be able to contact him, and with his permission convince somebody else to port it.

That being said, even then I doubt it would be playable at these speeds.
As far as I can see you can play it in linux (with or without wine). But it would have to be ported to pandora (no idea how hard that would be since I'm no programmer). Optimized it could run but probably slow. More info: http://df.magmawiki.com/index.php/40d:System_requirements

Last edited by a moderator:
Sadly, Toady One has no plans of releasing any of the source code that isn't required to get it working on Linux, so no optimization we can do.

And he doesn't plan to optimize until he's finished with the game.
His last estimate for which was April 2026.

Omfg, now that would be epic. I'm totally in love with Dwarf Fortress...
Hope this will be reality some day...

DF is amazing. It's the vi of the game world - shocking interface but once you get used to it there's nothing quite like it.

Slow or not I'd love to see DF on the Pandora - but it's in Toady's hands (as it should be!).

kmob said:
DF is amazing. It's the vi of the game world

or nano respectively :D

DF is a great game, would be cool on OP. Someone should to do a Touchscreen-GUI for easier use (if it's ever released for OP)

people really play this? ^^
I've downloadet it, I've installed it, I've seen it...and then I ran away in fear. :lol:
"beginner-friendly" and "Dwarf Fortress" seems to find no match. I even couldn't find a german translation which would help me alot. I guess it's a nice "game" but somehow...

There was some work done on a telnet layer for DF... basically you could run it on a fast machine, then play it through telnet elsewhere. I'll see if I can track down the author and get it working.

sinoth said:
There was some work done on a telnet layer for DF... basically you could run it on a fast machine, then play it through telnet elsewhere. I'll see if I can track down the author and get it working.
If there's actually a text mode for DF it should be easy enough to do that with screen and ssh.

fusion_power said:
I've downloadet it, I've installed it, I've seen it...and then I ran away in fear. :lol:
"beginner-friendly" and "Dwarf Fortress" seems to find no match. I even couldn't find a german translation which would help me alot. I guess it's a nice "game" but somehow...
It has a rather steep learning curve, but also a surprising amount of depth. Great game.

fusion_power said:

This is true. It's not remotely beginner friendly (at all). But learning DF is an investment (as well as a bit of a marathon) that delivers great rewards if you can stick with it. Check out CaptDuck's video tutorials on YouTube they are probably the best introduction. But there's just no getting around the fact that DF is not an "easy" game to get into.

Aninhumer said:
If there's actually a text mode for DF it should be easy enough to do that with screen and ssh.

No such luck. It's pure SDL/OpenGL at the moment. Easy to port, but I doubt it is high on Toady's todo list. IIRC the telnet layer peeked in memory at the actual array of displayed symbols and constructed a text screen from that. A serious hack but it worked respectably :)

Alerino said:
Nupfi said:
Omfg, now that would be epic. I'm totally in love with Dwarf Fortress...
Hope this will be reality some day...

hey nupfi, I'm a dwarf... and i live in a fortress... :D

jokiiing... did you get your shipping email? :rolleyes:

Hehe well, kinda saw that one coming... :lol:
Sadly, no shipping mail for me... no surprise either; I'm around 3600 in EDs list...
You got lucky?
Maybe it would be a good idea to spend the remaining months waiting in a dwarf fortress...
Hehe so jealous. ;) Just kidding, I'm enjoying all the recent review videos of little Pandi.
So proud of the team. Cant wait to get mine. Enough whining. :)
Love & peace & Pandora too.

Wow, now thats great! I'm sure it won't take 2-3 weeks to arrive at your door. :)
Lucky you! Be sure to post some nice pics + review once you got it! ;)

XxionxX said:
Hey there is a Linux version of DF out now. Does that make it easier to port? Am I just asking for to much? If anyone needs a link, just let me know.

It's been out for a long time. The now-SDL graphics layer has been open-sourced. Nothing has changed. Return to default hope-status.

Back