Dumpgfx Guide For Gngeo2x

purple_goat

Website
purplegoat25.deviantart.com
gngeo2x is a very hard emu to set up... I had tons of trouble!
thankfully the forum had my back ;) and I got it working!
dumpgfx was very hard for me so I'm doing this guide so no one has to ever bother the community
ever again (sorry bout all the ques guys :p ) so here goes!!

*this guide is for windows*

1.get an all-set-up rom (like in the gngeo guide, i.g. for samsho4 sams4_c1.rom etc.)
2.download dumpgfx here
3.place dumpgfx romc and your rom (lets say samsho4.zip) in a folder any place on your hard drive (lets say C:\Dumpgfx)
4. hit start and click run..
5. type in C:\Dumpgfx\dumpgfx.exe samsho4.zip (note the space)
6.now you should get a .gfx file
7. either:
A. extract samsho4.zip edit all the sams4_c# with notepad and delete all the writing, do this for all of them, then make samsho4.zip and add all the files back
OR
B1.(more complex but faster if done right, NOTE: needs total commander) extract sams4_c1 (or 2,3,4,5,6,7,8 but one of them)
B2.delete all the sams4_c# files from the .zip file
B3. edit the c# file you extracted as explained in choice "A."
B4. rename file to sams4_c
B5. copy 7 times (8 files)
B6. with total commander multiple rename files, and in name put sams4_c[C]
B7. add files back in!
8.load onto gp2x
9.play!!

have fun :D

p.s. if choice B gives you this face: :blink: but you have total commander spend the time to figure it out
(if you have questions, I'm here) because it can be done very quikly once you get it ;) )

purple_goat

edit: for the record I can setup a rom with method B in around 2 and a half min!!
(A takes longer)

Last edited by a moderator:
Quicker method (requires WinZip to be installed):

1. Open Notepad into a blank file
2. "Save As..." the first romname, e.g. 096-c1.bin. Repeat, simply changing the number for each cx file. edit: remember to select "All files" in the save dialogue or it will save as .txt
3. In Explorer, highlight all the new 0kb romfiles and drag them onto the rom zip. WinZip should open up a dialog box giving you the option to replace the existing files in the archive.

Done.

Never been able to get this to work. Just hangs, anyone else have the problem and manage to find a solution. I'm using XP professional if that helps.

Never been able to get this to work. Just hangs, anyone else have the problem and manage to find a solution. I'm using XP professional if that helps.

well, can you use the built-in dumpgfx? that's by far the easiest way if it works for you. but i've never experienced crashing on the windows version. there's a gp2x build too, i think, so if want to do a bunch at once or something like that, you can telnet in and do it that way.

well, can you use the built-in dumpgfx? that's by far the easiest way if it works for you. but i've never experienced crashing on the windows version. there's a gp2x build too, i think, so if want to do a bunch at once or something like that, you can telnet in and do it that way.
Yeah I do use the built in dumpgfx but certain roms can't be dumped by the 2x so have to be dumped by the dumpgfx program. I'm going to try it on a different pc to see if It's my machine or somthing I'm doing wrong.

Quicker method (requires WinZip to be installed):

1. Open Notepad into a blank file
2. "Save As..." the first romname, e.g. 096-c1.bin. Repeat, simply changing the number for each cx file. edit: remember to select "All files" in the save dialogue or it will save as .txt
3. In Explorer, highlight all the new 0kb romfiles and drag them onto the rom zip. WinZip should open up a dialog box giving you the option to replace the existing files in the archive.

Done.
how long does that take you?

a little late but i have to give props to those who can use the for command in dos :D

quite handy.

edit: oooh and the NUL command too. cool beans. not many of us left i think :D

rokdcasbah said:
a little late but i have to give props to those who can use the for command in dos :D

quite handy.

edit: oooh and the NUL command too. cool beans. not many of us left i think :D
Nope, most of you had the good sense to upgrade to UNIX ;-)

Back