Dump Game Save Data From Gba Cartridge

batfastad

Hi guys

I've got a GBA SP but I find myself hardly playing it these days, mainly use emulators.

I was wondering if anyone knew of a tool/method to get the internal save data off a GBA cartridge and onto your computer, so its usable by an emulator, like Visualboyadvance?

I want to try and preserve my Mario Kart Super Circuit times!

After a bit of searching around, it seems it is possible with a DS running homebrew. Unfortunately I don't have a DS.
So is this possible with just a GBA SP, and some sort of USB flash cartridge thing or something for the hardware side of things?
I looked into getting a flash cartridge for GBA carts a while back, but got confused with the different models/specs

Any ideas?
Cheers, B

batfastad said:
Hi guys

I've got a GBA SP but I find myself hardly playing it these days, mainly use emulators.

I was wondering if anyone knew of a tool/method to get the internal save data off a GBA cartridge and onto your computer, so its usable by an emulator, like Visualboyadvance?

I want to try and preserve my Mario Kart Super Circuit times!

After a bit of searching around, it seems it is possible with a DS running homebrew. Unfortunately I don't have a DS.
So is this possible with just a GBA SP, and some sort of USB flash cartridge thing or something for the hardware side of things?
I looked into getting a flash cartridge for GBA carts a while back, but got confused with the different models/specs

Any ideas?
Cheers, B
You need a slot 2 sd/CF based adaptor. And it's possible on a GBA/DS Homebrew exists for both platforms. I think I still have my very very old CF based movie player for the GBA which can do it...

Last edited by a moderator:
You can do it with a parallel linker cable like you use for a flash cartridge. Most flash cart software has a save dumping option.

I had a Visoly Flash Advance Extreme in the past that could read savedata from an original GBA cartridge. But for some reason I never got the saves working on backup carts or emus, I guess the software was buggy. Since Visoly was sued to death within a few months, there's never been an update fixing the issue.

I have a G-Bank:

http://www.gameboy-advance.net/flash_card/game_bank.htm

Although bulky, it makes the GBA SP more comfortable to hold IMO. You can transfer roms/ homebrew from an SD card into the flash memory to play them, or insert a cartridge and dump that (including the .sav files) into the flash memory, and then onto your SD (i.e. make a complete back-up of the cartridge).

I bought mine a few years ago ... not sure if still available. It's a handy way to do it if you don't mind buying the extra bit of kit.

Back