DSP?

When is anything going to take use of the DSP? Or are there already some programs utilizing it.

Last edited by a moderator:
When is planned a kernel upgrade ?

I think it's time to work on this , now that we are waiting for more boards to be produced.

i agree, this is something that opt should contact TI about

Actually kernel update is not necessary to use those DSP frameworks, it's just nobody of capable doing it are interested in doing it.
Getting it into 2.6.27 is way way more work than I think would be worth. If we were on 2.6.33, I'd volunteer to backport it from the 2.6.37 staging just so we could get something, but too much happened with omap between .32 and .33 to make it anything but a royal pain in the backside. Short of rewriting the proposed frameworks for the older kernel, the only way to get it is to upgrade the kernel, but I'm pretty sure we've got other things that break at .33 as well. I haven't been able to get anything beyond .32 working on my BeagleBoard, and even that is tenuous at best.

So, for the geniuses among us, our Linux kernel is too old to properly support the dsp and it'd be a pain to get it working in any form?

Keep in mind I'm frequently wrong. Someone smarter than I am might be able to do the work, but from what I see it is no trivial task.

Getting it into 2.6.27 is way way more work than I think would be worth.
This is your speculation or have you actually tried looking at it? Also I suppose you are referring to DSPbridge, there is also DSPlink..

Last time I looked both of them gave me impression they were rather self-contained, only recently they started reworking DSPbridge to use common kernel code instead of it's own (after which the staging version broke from what I've read).

This is your speculation or have you actually tried looking at it? Also I suppose you are referring to DSPbridge, there is also DSPlink..
I spent a few hours on it yesterday. It uses some features from clock and mailbox that didn't exist before .33. Presumably someone could rewrite those parts, but I don't even know what mailbox.h is for (although I can guess) so I wouldn't be the best person to know how to go about doing that.

edit: and yes, DSPbridge. I got the impression from the beagleboard wiki that DSPlink isn't being updated anymore and has effectively been usurped by DSPbridge.

It could possibly work, or maybe an older version of DSPbridge before it started getting more linked with the kernel. Maybe I'll spend some more time with it over Christmas.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back