Drill2x Xtreme V1.0

Yod4z

Jycet has improved the Drill2x version of birslip.

What's new:
-Change of the fps limiter to one more powerfull (thanks pepone).
-Use of HW Lib (thanks paeryn).
-Add some new samples.
-Add sync(); for the saves.
-Add scrolling in the Highscore page.
-Use of Mikmod for playing S3m or mod file for music (see data/mod/mod.txt).
-GPE compressed.
-Add volume control.
-Use of the squidge's MMU Hack module for more speed.
-Correction of the transparency of some sprites.
-Now the game run at 66MHz.
-Change in the fade part to gain some speed.
-Use of drill2x.ini for configurations (volume, ram tweak, CPU frequency, offset tv x and y, framecounter, fps limiter).
-Add press B button to quit the "GAMEOVER" screen.
-Change in pause mode (change from 20fps to ~130fps).
-Optimisations in code to gain some FPS.
-Optimisation of the TV-out
-New name: Drill2x Xtreme

drill2x_xtreme_v1.0_game.png

You can download it here. Source code is include in the archive.

...and the background now has a nice parallax effect. :) I thought, that this game was supposed for such a effect. The BG Image isn't that great but now the scrolling looks much better than the non parallax bg of the first game. Mayby I try to paint a more visible fitting BG just for fun ^^

EDIT: here, I use this background now:

mainbackrt5.png

name it mainback.bmp (has to be a bmp file) and test it if you want. :)

Just one question before I upgrade my old version of Drill2x - can you go deeper than 1000m? I just get a game over when I reach that point currently, even though I have plenty of air and don't get crushed.

Never played Mr Driller (or other variations of it) before, so was just wondering if there is anything else to it, as it's simple to get to 1000m - am I playing it wrong?

D.

Dunny said:
Just one question before I upgrade my old version of Drill2x - can you go deeper than 1000m? I just get a game over when I reach that point currently, even though I have plenty of air and don't get crushed.

Never played Mr Driller (or other variations of it) before, so was just wondering if there is anything else to it, as it's simple to get to 1000m - am I playing it wrong?

D.
Hm... I have never seen the 1000m mark... :lol: maybe 500 or 600 meters and I'm proud to reach this depth. But the best score was with less than my best depth (best score: 337m and 77280 points :) ) Digging many blocks as possible gives the best score, independent of the size of the blocks. Maybe tere could be a bigger score bonus for the reached meters.

Last edited by a moderator:
fusion_power said:
Hm... I have never seen the 1000m mark... :lol: maybe 500 or 600 meters and I'm proud to reach this depth. But the best score was with less than my best depth (best score: 337m and 77280 points :) ) Digging many blocks as possible gives the best score, independent of the size of the blocks. Maybe tere could be a bigger score bonus for the reached meters.

I just drill down as fast as possible, occasionally picking up the air canisters and shifting left/right if necessary to avoid drilling through the hard rock. Hit 1000m every time, no problems - shame that's all there is to it, as it's a nice game.

D.

fusion_power said:
...and the background now has a nice parallax effect. :) I thought, that this game was supposed for such a effect. The BG Image isn't that great but now the scrolling looks much better than the non parallax bg of the first game. Mayby I try to paint a more visible fitting BG just for fun ^^

mainbackrt5.png

Excellent background now we can see more the parallax effect, definitively adopted for next fix release ;)
If you want you do a better:
startgame.bmp
showhigh.bmp
quit.bmp

;)

66MHz :blink: :eek: It's, like, so slow the batteries automatically recharge when playing :lol:

...and still manages to look so good. Excellent work!

Moxie said:
66MHz :blink: :eek: It's, like, so slow the batteries automatically recharge when playing :lol:

...and still manages to look so good. Excellent work!
I've another little game which work at 68FPS (forced by me otherwise its around 75 to 100fps) @50MHz, but due to level design missing I dont release it

JyCet said:
fusion_power said:

mainbackrt5.png

Excellent background now we can see more the parallax effect, definitively adopted for next fix release ;)
If you want you do a better:
startgame.bmp
showhigh.bmp
quit.bmp

;)

If you replace the stone-age .bmp file-format with the modern .PNG-format ;)

Seriously, I'm honored that you want to use this little BG. Feel free to include it. I don't know if I can do better gfx for the mentioned ones, because I like them and they are not seem to be wrong in my eyes. ^^""
And for such things the original gfx-artist should do it because he has his own style over the whole game and I don't know if someone else interrupt this. That's the reason why I don't used complete new graphics for the BG image. :) (And because I just realized to late, that the old gfx suggest an underwater style, so my own bg maybe is not the best choice for this game: NOW I know, Drill2X plays underwater! Omg! :lol: )

P.S.: could it be, that our Mr. Driller is actually an Miss Driller? ^^""

fusion_power said:
P.S.: could it be, that our Mr. Driller is actually an Miss Driller? ^^""
During my coding, I've made a chirugical operation on Miss Drill and now Drill is a Mister :D

I've updated file archive with a small update 1.0.1:
CODE
-fix "i" missing in highscore (thanks thunor)
-fix missing volume control in pause mode (thanks Yod4z)
-add volume osd (Yod4z request)
-chg mainback.bmp by better fusion power's version thank you;)
-fix missing "m." display in game
-chg B button to START button to quit "GAMEOVER"

;)

Ok. :lol:

The Game needs an Puzzle mode I think. Goal is to make as many points as possible in an endless-Level. More points for destroying bigger Blocks etc... Bonus/ multiplicator or something for Chain reactions, special Blocks with special properties, I don't know. Just some thoughts that came me while playing. (Still not reached 1000m XD )

By the way, are the blocks generated randomly or have all Levels fixed block constellations?

fusion_power said:
Ok. :lol:

The Game needs an Puzzle mode I think. Goal is to make as many points as possible in an endless-Level. More points for destroying bigger Blocks etc... Bonus/ multiplicator or something for Chain reactions, special Blocks with special properties, I don't know. Just some thoughts that came me while playing. (Still not reached 1000m XD )

By the way, are the blocks generated randomly or have all Levels fixed block constellations?
Well the code is a little complicate to add your request ... and to add these features it need probably to recode some part of the game core which is already complicate :ph34r:

It's a mini Mr. Driller game :D

Yes, the blocks are generated randomly.

JyCet said:
CODE
Is this still the 1000m limited demo-version?

D.

Dunny said:
JyCet said:
CODE
Is this still the 1000m limited demo-version?

D.

No it's simply a homebrew :)
And code is not my job, only a hobby when i've time and motivation :)

JyCet said:
And code is not my job, only a hobby when i've time and motivation :)
You could have fooled me :)

Great job on this game, one of my favorites.

Back