Dreamcast with upscaled textures?

rohezal

Advanced Member
There is a youtube person who upscales textures for dreamcast games via AI and uses higher resolution modes to improve the graphics games. A bit like psx rearmed. This guy goes over the top, but would it be possible to have 2x times the original texture resolution and 2x the screen resolution of the dream on the pyra? The videos look quite nice.

1604013462884.png

There is a youtube person who upscales textures for dreamcast games via AI and uses higher resolution modes to improve the graphics games. A bit like psx rearmed. This guy goes over the top, but would it be possible to have 2x times the original texture resolution and 2x the screen resolution of the dream on the pyra? The videos look quite nice.
The Dreamcast outputs 640p video natively. I must admit, comparing the two side by side on this only 600p screen makes it hard for me to notice a difference. In LoZ 64 the comparison between the 2d rendering (menus and subtitles for navi) were quite obvious, and one or two textures were appreciably different compared side by side, but I doubt it would make the game any more enjoyable for me. On F-Zero X I couldn't see a difference.

Don't forget the Pyra only has a 720p screen internally, and while it can output 1080p over HDMI, I'd suggest targetting the in-built resolution is a more cost effective bet.

Edit: The new textures for Goldeneye make it look purty, even in 600p. Stutters in the video a bit though, so I think it's even struggling to be played on a modern PC.

Last edited:
The upscaling looks best on some dreamcast game. On N64 it depends heavily on the game and some games even look worse.

It works best for skyboxes and downsampled textures (look at the background). The resolution may not be as important as the 2x upscaled textures.

1604059665685.png

Last edited:
I didn't even mind the enhanced textures, just happy to see PSO2.
I do like how it looks, not to different. That mountain skybox from last pic looks okay.

Back