Download The Pandora Wiki?

DrLGR

I was wondering if there is a way to download the entirety of the PandoraWiki? I think it would be helpful for a user that is just on the verge of being close to apprentice to a semi-competent user. The wiki answers a lot of questions that can come up. Some quick searching did not turn anything up, so this seemed like a good place to ask. Thanks for the help.

LGR

I used to have a lot of experience with MediaWiki, but I'm very rusty now.

The Pandora wiki supports regular exporting:

http://pandorawiki.org/Special:Export

A while back I did a lot of research on salvaging content from MediaWiki. At the time, there was no sane way to do this. Perhaps that is different now.

I can provide my old notes if that helps, but it is probably easier to have some person assigned to:

- freeze the wiki
- review all pages to be exported
- export the desired pages
- un-freeze the wiki
- package the pages

.. perhaps once a week or so.

Getting that documentation on the Pandora could be very hard or very easy, depending on how the export was done.

The export could be done in a "true" manner, so that it can be imported into a MediaWiki running on Pandora. However, some sort of LAMP setup would need to exist. In particular, PHP would need to exist on the Pandora. I very sincerely hope nobody is insane enough to want to deal with the huge challenge this would be.

It would be a lot easier to export or convert the necessary pages as HTML or text. The Pandora can work with such files quite easily.

---

I know how to do things like individually download raw wiki source or printable versions of pages. That would be easy to create a script for a specific list of pages.

I know how to spider and download multiple pages. Being able to keep all the HTML and such, and appropriately convert links so they're all local, and clean up the style/template.. that would be the trick.

It's because of this sort of complication that many projects "mature" away from a wiki and into a documentation system. This is even more necessary when they need things like an export to PDF or translations.

spiralofhope said:
I very sincerely hope nobody is insane enough to want to deal with the huge challenge this would be.
I built apache+php on many differants CPU archs, there is no challange doing so (./configure && make all install should just works as expected)
As long as mysql isnt requiered by mediawiki, this shouldnt be a problem.

I dont get the insanity point. Having the wiki on the go far is less insane then say having a torrent client ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
hey spiral, long time no see... didn't know you were a part of this comunity too.... small world.

looking forward to seeing this happen. more sites should make their wikis offline accesible...

sebt3 said:
spiralofhope said:
I very sincerely hope nobody is insane enough to want to deal with the huge challenge this would be.
I built apache+php on many differants CPU archs, there is no challange doing so (./configure && make all install should just works as expected)
As long as mysql isnt requiered by mediawiki, this shouldnt be a problem.

I dont get the insanity point. Having the wiki on the go far is less insane then say having a torrent client ;)

Yes it requires MySQL. The configuration of apache and mediawiki can be extraordinarily annoying, just try pretty URLs. =) I've also had broken databases to deal with. Not fun.

I think the idea of running server software just to read documentation is so wrong on so many levels.

Custom Processing Unlimite said:
hey spiral, long time no see... didn't know you were a part of this comunity too.... small world.

looking forward to seeing this happen. more sites should make their wikis offline accesible...

Hey CPUnltd, I hope you're doing well.

I don't have a Pandora, and won't for a while, but I thought I'd peek in and begin some research. I've had a bunch of other small computers, so getting one of these will be inevitable. I had been loitering around in the Sharp Zaurus circles, which led me to Angstrom (used by the Pandora).

Tripmonkey_uk said:
I remember reading a bit about Wiki on a stick at one point. The aim of the project was to get Wikipedia onto USB sticks for off-line browsing so maybe that would be a good place to start :)

A fine idea.

---

I bumped into kiwix.

At some point a wiki page should be edited with these various ideas. Any interested person could pick up one of these ideas and run with it, and report back (here, and there) with their results.

I think that the biggest problem isn't technical, but the actual audit and export of the documentation itself. It would be time consuming.

Last edited by a moderator:
glad to have you around, spiral... will be fun to see what input we all get from you... will let the topic at hand commense now and take our re-introduction out of the thread. :D

Back