Doom Problems

tix

Still Fresh
I have a problem playing the Duke wad : in the begining of the second level my gp reboots :(
I've got the same problem in the same place when I play doom 2 but all the other wads play perfectly !!!
Any ideas ?

There's a known issue with Doom 2, on the second level you can crash the game by going to a specific place. That problem is in the WAD, it crashes PC Doom as well as GpDoom. I think there are Doom 2 WADs that don't have the problem, but the simple workaround is: don't go to that place :D

As for the Duke WAD, I'm sorry but I have no idea. Can you describe EXACTLY how you get it to crash?

Hmmm, this problem has been noted on other wads in lvl 2 as well (in fact my Doom2 wad itself reboots if I goto the first reddoor before I goto the door that has a switch behind on lvl 2 (if that makes sense))

[edit] heh see above if anyone knows the place not to go to in western wad please let us know [edit]

But I have to go to that place because there is a switch there !
I maybe mistaken but the Duke wad have the exact same room and it crashes at the exact same place !
Its something like this : a corridor and on both ends there is a cage door with a bad guy in, if you approach the left door it opens automaticaly and boom game crashes :(

Well that's interesting! My copy of Doom 2 doesn't have the cage at the left-hand end. And I've never had the crashing problem. Maybe I've got a later version of the WAD and the cage was removed because of this problem?

Anyway tix, please try Mikey's workaround and see if it works for you.

I would guess its a missing hi-res floor/wall texture, if you kind of nip round the corner to the right without looking at the left wall/corner it won't crash.

On the dreamcast rather than crashing you fall through the floor forever.

Just nip past on the right hand side and save the game once your out of the room, no big deal, not seen it happen anywhere else in the game and I've played doom and doom2 to the end.

-Craig

www.gbax.com

I know 2 different wads of doom2.wad.
You all have the one that crashes.
I have the second one and it doesn't crash at all in the level 2 in front of the switch and it works perfectly.

I'd like to help you but I can't tell you where to find it if you don't know where... because it's piracy! :(

Mail me perhaps...

For Duke.wad, it's GPDoom that has problem because on pc my Duke PWAD works perfectly and never crashes so I can't resolve that.

Anyway the crashing issues rarely appears, but try to contact Craig for that. :)

:D :D i dont have this prob. but tigeuss that sucks for you all. i am on lev. 15 of Doom 2 right now. heres a question. does anyone have a problem with the half-life wad? mine stops at lev. 4 loading lev. 5. it just freezes. anyone got any ideas?

i tried to get mine to crash , sounds weird dont it? well anyways im not advertising the place and i dont really know where i got it and i am not advertising piracy or condoning it or any crap like that, so dont shut this thread down. but i got mine at some site were you could d/l the doom engine for a dvd player and play it on the dvd player. well that site had the doom 2 wad. that i have. i hope that those ittty bitty bits of info will help you get a working doom 2 wad without that glitch. and to all mods i dont mean to go against the rules or anything, i didnt tell where i got it, i dont even know. just helping other members get a better ver. of the doom 2 wad.

I think that the two different doom2.wad files mentioned here are from Doom 2 version 1.666 and the proper doom2.wad which is from Doom 2 version 1.9 (the last official release of the game by Id).

So, make sure you have the original files, and simply upgrade to 1.9 before you use it in ANY DooM port. This goes for any port like DOSDoom, Legacy Doom, zDoom and so on...and also GPDooM.

does anyone have a problem with the half-life wad? mine stops at lev. 4 loading lev. 5. it just freezes. anyone got any ideas?
It's normal Half Life stops loading level 5 because there isn't any level 5 ! :)
There are only 4 levels. :)

Back